Masks and Social Distancing Go Away in WDW

When Masks and Social Distancing will go away in USA?

• Summer 2021

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • Fall/Winter 2021

Votes: 123 28.7%

Votes: 228 53.1%

Votes: 20 4.7%

Votes: 6 1.4%

Votes: 7 1.6%

• Total voters

plawren2

You’re assuming people will return in full capacity numbers if masks remain mandatory. I don’t think even Disney is that optimistic. Don’t think for a minute that any profit from selling masks will make up for the lost revenue from fewer people in the parks. The people on these boards are much more invested in Disney than the average guest, who will likely put off a trip until they don’t have to deal with restrictions.

Also, people here are constantly going on about how Disney will follow CDC guidelines. Those guidelines expressly state that masks are not to be used as a substitute for social distancing.
Those are the current CDC guidelines, lets wait and see what they are in 3 months. There is evidence already of a increase in future bookings even while masks and social distancing are still required. The pent-up demand exists.

bdearl41

Vaccination is not 100% effective. So some vaccinated people will contract the disease from unvaccinated people. Secondly, vaccination doesn’t prevent one from being a carrier. Unless we get most people vaccinated, some restrictions may need to remain.
Being a carrier is unknown. Although almost all evidence points to vaccinated people not being carriers or spreaders.

bdearl41

Yes, I assume that's why the CDC guidelines are not telling vaccinated people who are exposed to COVID to quarantine or get tested unless they have symptoms.
I think the big question when it comes to masks is when everyone has had multiple months to be vaccinated does the accountability shifts to the non vaccers from those who chose the protect themselves and others. For me by end of summer the only place I’ll wear a mask is a plane as I feel it’ll be the only place ( outside of Disney and California) that will require one.

Shouldigo12

I think the big question when it comes to masks is when everyone has had multiple months to be vaccinated does the accountability shifts to the non vaccers from those who chose the protect themselves and others. For me by end of summer the only place I’ll wear a mask is a plane as I feel it’ll be the only place ( outside of Disney and California) that will require one.
I was thinking about this today, actually. In my opinion, we should wait about two months after vaccines open to everyone to reevaluate restrictions (which puts us at around July 1st, unless I forgot how the months go). That gives people time to make those coveted appointments and build up some form of immunity. If there's still high demand for the vaccine then, then I think we should keep restrictions in place for the people unlucky enough to not have the shot yet.

If demand is way down and everyone who wanted the shot got it, then I think responsibility for keeping yourself safe from the virus should shift to the people who haven't been vaccinated yet. That includes masks not being required anymore.

Given that some states are already doing away with mask mandates, I would say expecting unvaccinated citizens to protect each other by wearing masks when they could just get a shot isn't going to be a common reaction.

DavidNoble

Here is the thing though, not everyone will get the vaccine. So my fear is that they will get enough public support that they would deny people entry otherwise.

They would deny allowing people in without a mask or without a vaccine?

My opinion is this. If you've chosen to not get the vaccine then that's on you (actually just got my appointment notification for next week as I typed this). At that point, society as a whole is moving forward without you and if something happens then that's the decision you've made at that point. If you can't get the vaccine, then wearing a mask would suffice and if it's a medical reason, then you should be able to show something that would satisfy the requirement if it's more along the lines of getting in only if you have a vaccine.

Texas84

I drive I-10 to I-75 to the Florida Turnpike to 429 to WDW. I stop at rest stations on I-10, I-75, the Turnpike, the Ocala Publix off of I-75, etc. I rarely see people without masks. And my last trip was at the end of January. But I'm traveling again next month, so I'll take a survey.
Very few masks at rest stops on my last trip down I-75. Can't say about the turnpike stops, didn't stop there.

bdearl41

I was thinking about this today, actually. In my opinion, we should wait about two months after vaccines open to everyone to reevaluate restrictions (which puts us at around July 1st, unless I forgot how the months go). That gives people time to make those coveted appointments and build up some form of immunity. If there's still high demand for the vaccine then, then I think we should keep restrictions in place for the people unlucky enough to not have the shot yet.

If demand is way down and everyone who wanted the shot got it, then I think responsibility for keeping yourself safe from the virus should shift to the people who haven't been vaccinated yet. That includes masks not being required anymore.

Given that some states are already doing away with mask mandates, I would say expecting unvaccinated citizens to protect each other by wearing masks when they could just get a shot isn't going to be a common reaction.
Couldn’t agree more.

Djsfantasi

I’m not aware of any support for the proposition that vaccinated people are infecting others with COVID. The evidence appears to be to the contrary. I do acknowledge that physicians and the CDC are being cautious until more studies are done. Also, a direct recent exposure to the virus could trigger stricter protocols.

It’s true that just about anything is within the realm of possibility. I’m talking about facts and evidence sufficient to shape public health policies.

Edit: @Djsfantasi: The CDC guidelines expressly state that: "If you've been fully vaccinated [and] you've been around someone who has COVID-19, you do not need to stay away from others or get tested unless you have symptoms." There's an exception for those who live in a group setting like a "correctional or detention facility or group home." Then you should stay away from others for 14 days and get additional testing even if you don't have symptoms. Maybe your doctor's advice was given before the CDC guidelines were changed? I hope you’re not quarantining and canceling plans due to misinformation.
The actual statement was “there is no need to stay away from others, except if they are at high risk or...”

In an amusement park, do people wear buttons that say high risk? Would you wear the scarlet button?

MaryJaneP

"or...." What follows? Maybe stay away from other until there is enough scientific evidence that vaccinated people cannot (not may not, or it is still unclear, or some other weasel words) spread (transmit) this virus, even it the vaccinated person is asymptomatic? Not a rousing encouragement of the elimination of mitigation measures.

Chi84

Premium Member
The actual statement was “there is no need to stay away from others, except if they are at high risk or...”

In an amusement park, do people wear buttons that say high risk? Would you wear the scarlet button?
That’s not what it says. The wording is:

"If you've been fully vaccinated:

If you've been around someone who has COVID-19, you do not need to stay away from others or get tested unless you have symptoms.

However, if you live in a group setting (like a correctional or detention facility or group home) and are around someone who has COVID-19, you should still stay away from others for 14 days and get tested even if you don't have symptoms."

Your entire post (#113) was about how your doctor told you, quoting CDC guidelines, that it was necessary for you to quarantine and get tested even though you had been vaccinated. As stated above, that is not accurate. Then you closed with a condescending "thoughts and prayers" that my family doesn't contract a fatal disease based on my "misinformation."

Your post was not about anything other than quarantining and getting tested - it was not about when or where to wear masks or who you can safely visit, which is the part you are quoting from now.

Last edited:

Lilofan

What if your an asymptomatic spreader? There seems to be less certainty on this possibility.
Some WDW theme parks cast have been pictured wearing mask and a face shield for better facial protection. Better idea to catch stuff on the shield to protect their face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom