Mask wearers questions

ceecee101

Hi we’re going in a couple of weeks, Covid virgins and also haven’t had colds in 3 years. Question here just for people who wear masks (no other comments needed):
1. Did you ever not wear your mask? Thinking of different scenarios—obviously we will wear in crowded inside spots (think stretching room at HM), but were there outside spots you felt ok taking it off? Obviously crowded fireworks areas we will wear but just walking around say AK did you not wear?
Thanks much.

RememberWhen

I was there in July and August. This is my experience, ymmv. All masks were well fitting Kn95 or KF94.

In July I was with my mother (72), DD5 and DD1. It was HOT. We wore masks inside (not the baby), but not outside. It was just too much. And sometimes when we first went inside we didn’t wear them right away as we were so so hot. We were there just over a week. We flew home on a Friday and on Monday morning I tested positive. We were testing daily, and I immediately masked and isolated in our basement tv area. My mom and the kids continued to be symptom-free and continued to test negative.

In August I was there with DW, DS10, DD5 and DD1. Again it was HOT. We masked as much as we were able, especially after my experience in July. DD5 came down with a cold (or so we thought). She had no fever, just a slight cough and sniffles. She tested negative. Repeatedly. When we got home, DW tested positive for Covid. She isolated. The other kids caught the same “cold” DD5 had, but never tested positive. DW had a slight fever and was achy and exhausted, but no cough. We (and the kids’ Dr) assume they had it but weren’t testing positive.

We had not had Covid prior.
The kids all had been recently vaccinated/boosted. We suspect that the recent shot helped them mostly fight it off.

If I were going and had the chance to get a booster a few weeks prior I would do that. And mask as much as possible. It will be easier with the cooler weather.

Have an awesome trip!

Upvote 0

5minnie

wondering how close together the tables are in restaurants. We have eaten in restaurants quite often but usually go during off hours or restaurants where tables aren't jammed together

Upvote 0

Raxel7851

Hi we’re going in a couple of weeks, Covid virgins and also haven’t had colds in 3 years. Question here just for people who wear masks (no other comments needed):
1. Did you ever not wear your mask? Thinking of different scenarios—obviously we will wear in crowded inside spots (think stretching room at HM), but were there outside spots you felt ok taking it off? Obviously crowded fireworks areas we will wear but just walking around say AK did you not wear?
Thanks much.
I got my 2nd booster at the end of April. We stayed at POFQ for 10 days 3 weeks later. We both caught Covid on our next to last day. We wore masks inside all of the time but were a little lax outside. We went again mid September and made out better, although we still amassed up inside. It’s really a crapshoot. Maybe with the updated booster things will calm down more. But honestly this thing is here to stay.

Upvote 0

ceecee101

Original Poster
THANK YOU all for the info. We’re oldsters and so are now on shot 5 which we both had at end of September. We’ll mask a lot now based on your comments plus reading TRs of people who didn’t and came home with it, plus with colds going around not really interested in getting a cold either. We also got flu shots. I have a slight risk of complications from Covid. So sounds like better off masking More. I have a lot of KN95s, guess I will take a bunch and swap out? We also got mask lanyards. Thanks for the tips.

Upvote 0

ceecee101

Original Poster
wondering how close together the tables are in restaurants. We have eaten in restaurants quite often but usually go during off hours or restaurants where tables aren't jammed together
This is one reason we only made 2 ADRs at indoor places, also off hours. Very late on one and in between lunch and dinner on another.

Upvote 0

5minnie

THANK YOU all for the info. We’re oldsters and so are now on shot 5 which we both had at end of September. We’ll mask a lot now based on your comments plus reading TRs of people who didn’t and came home with it, plus with colds going around not really interested in getting a cold either. We also got flu shots. I have a slight risk of complications from Covid. So sounds like better off masking More. I have a lot of KN95s, guess I will take a bunch and swap out? We also got mask lanyards. Thanks for the tips.
We are "oldsters" as well on shot 5 and flu shot. I would rather wear a mask then get any sort of illness when I'm on holiday. Enjoy your trip😊

Upvote 0

ceecee101

Original Poster
I should also mention we have done 2 Europe trips since 2021 and not gotten anything but spent A lot of time outside (hiking, etc.) plus those were the days with vaccine requirements and mask mandates. reading TRs on WDW sounds like we need to be very careful, high risk environment, but was just wondering if we’re walking around outside at say AK what you all thought. Like one poster said at least it will be cool for us weather wise! So guess we will mask a lot. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Clamman73

Even with masks it’s still important to be aware about touching things in the queue, handrails, entering/exiting bathrooms, etc. Because it’s being careful to not only avoid covid, but regular cold, RSV, flu, etc.
Say you touch these things, then you adjust your mask or take it off or whatever but in the process you’ve touched your face, then you’re outside happy and free and then you touch face and rub your eyes.
So for me, I’m still psycho about hand sanitizer and being hands-to-face aware.
Also whether I’m inside or out, if someone sneezes or an open air cough by me, I pretend I just went under water, hold my breath and “swim” back up to clean air.

Upvote 0

ceecee101

Original Poster
Even with masks it’s still important to be aware about touching things in the queue, handrails, entering/exiting bathrooms, etc. Because it’s being careful to not only avoid covid, but regular cold, RSV, flu, etc.
Say you touch these things, then you adjust your mask or take it off or whatever but in the process you’ve touched your face, then you’re outside happy and free and then you touch face and rub your eyes.
So for me, I’m still psycho about hand sanitizer and being hands-to-face aware.
Also whether I’m inside or out, if someone sneezes or an open air cough by me, I pretend I just went under water, hold my breath and “swim” back up to clean air.
Good tip! I find DH rubbing his mustache a lot and Have had to scold him! I’ll slather on the sanitizer for us both.

Upvote 0

SplashJacket

Thanks much.
If your goal is to not get Covid, I wouldn't go.

I've gotten 4 shots and have never gotten it despite countless exposures. I didn't leave my house for a year, and then I've been on two cruises, Universal for a week, Disney for two weeks, through Europe for a month, and tons of other stuff. I wore a mask for the first cruise since it was mandated (and I knew several people came off that cruise with covid) and sparingly during some of the Disney trips.

I survived all of that without getting covid. On the other hand, my dad who went to Disney for a single weekend with one day in the parks and went on a cruise got covid in both instances, despite mask-wearing. He also had four shots. This isn't to say masks are worthless or you shouldn't use them, but that there is mega exposure everywhere in a theme park.

I have been sick probably about 2/3rds of the days since May but have tested negative for Covid about a dozen times. I have a potato immune system, so being sick perpetually has been highly frustrating, so I am considering adopting my mask once again.

But in terms of wearing a mask at the parks, it's difficult. Cramped indoor spaces with little airflow are the highest risk. Open outdoor spaces are low risk, so your behavior will entirely depend on your risk tolerance.

In accordance with your risk tolerance to getting covid from minimal risk to maximum risk
  1. Don't go
  2. Keep your mask on at all times, only taking it off by the strings to eat or drink (preferably outdoors in an uncrowded area)
  3. Mask only comes off in uncrowded outdoor areas (stays on while in outdoor queues, fireworks, etc)
  4. Mask off in uncrowded outdoor areas and outdoor windy environments (if you feel the wind, feel free to take off)
  5. Mask off outdoors
  6. Mask off outdoors and uncrowded indoor areas (theater, restaurant during through period, on-ride)
  7. Mask off outdoors, in uncrowded areas, and in areas of high ventilation (If you feel an air current indoors, feel free to take off)
  8. Mask off at all times except when you hear someone coughing or sniffling in your vicinity (in a queue for example)
  9. Mask off at all times
Just decide what is a good balance between safety and hassle. There are other things beyond masking, like finding more remote areas to relax, getting a more isolated seat in theaters, and allowing space between you and the party in front of you (heinous, I know), among other things.

But Disney is difficult because people will still go because it takes so much planning, and if they get sick mid-trip, they will continue going to the parks because they're in too deep financially that they must still try to make the most of it. If you're feeling really sick, you're probably going to wait a little to go shopping at your mall because that's an anytime activity.

Personally, 6-months ago, I wouldn't have masked at all. Now, probably the same, but I'm so sick of being tired from other stuff I'm honestly not sure. Don't underestimate the power of wind/airflow. If you're in a large outdoor crowd, that's probably a lot better than a space indoor queue.

If you're going to wear a mask, wear it properly (tight seal, don't touch inside, etc) because it's not worth the inconvenience if you're not going to do it correctly.

I think a decent approach is just to put it on when you feel uncomfortable, and that'll be whatever that means for you. Just carry it with you, you might find yourself wearing it more or less by the end of the trip, but never a bad idea to have.

Upvote 0

ceecee101

Original Poster
If your goal is to not get Covid, I wouldn't go.

I've gotten 4 shots and have never gotten it despite countless exposures. I didn't leave my house for a year, and then I've been on two cruises, Universal for a week, Disney for two weeks, through Europe for a month, and tons of other stuff. I wore a mask for the first cruise since it was mandated (and I knew several people came off that cruise with covid) and sparingly during some of the Disney trips.

I survived all of that without getting covid. On the other hand, my dad who went to Disney for a single weekend with one day in the parks and went on a cruise got covid in both instances, despite mask-wearing. He also had four shots. This isn't to say masks are worthless or you shouldn't use them, but that there is mega exposure everywhere in a theme park.

I have been sick probably about 2/3rds of the days since May but have tested negative for Covid about a dozen times. I have a potato immune system, so being sick perpetually has been highly frustrating, so I am considering adopting my mask once again.

But in terms of wearing a mask at the parks, it's difficult. Cramped indoor spaces with little airflow are the highest risk. Open outdoor spaces are low risk, so your behavior will entirely depend on your risk tolerance.

In accordance with your risk tolerance to getting covid from minimal risk to maximum risk
  1. Don't go
  2. Keep your mask on at all times, only taking it off by the strings to eat or drink (preferably outdoors in an uncrowded area)
  3. Mask only comes off in uncrowded outdoor areas (stays on while in outdoor queues, fireworks, etc)
  4. Mask off in uncrowded outdoor areas and outdoor windy environments (if you feel the wind, feel free to take off)
  5. Mask off outdoors
  6. Mask off outdoors and uncrowded indoor areas (theater, restaurant during through period, on-ride)
  7. Mask off outdoors, in uncrowded areas, and in areas of high ventilation (If you feel an air current indoors, feel free to take off)
  8. Mask off at all times except when you hear someone coughing or sniffling in your vicinity (in a queue for example)
  9. Mask off at all times
Just decide what is a good balance between safety and hassle. There are other things beyond masking, like finding more remote areas to relax, getting a more isolated seat in theaters, and allowing space between you and the party in front of you (heinous, I know), among other things.

But Disney is difficult because people will still go because it takes so much planning, and if they get sick mid-trip, they will continue going to the parks because they're in too deep financially that they must still try to make the most of it. If you're feeling really sick, you're probably going to wait a little to go shopping at your mall because that's an anytime activity.

Personally, 6-months ago, I wouldn't have masked at all. Now, probably the same, but I'm so sick of being tired from other stuff I'm honestly not sure. Don't underestimate the power of wind/airflow. If you're in a large outdoor crowd, that's probably a lot better than a space indoor queue.

If you're going to wear a mask, wear it properly (tight seal, don't touch inside, etc) because it's not worth the inconvenience if you're not going to do it correctly.

I think a decent approach is just to put it on when you feel uncomfortable, and that'll be whatever that means for you. Just carry it with you, you might find yourself wearing it more or less by the end of the trip, but never a bad idea to have.
Good summary. We’re probably between 2-4. Living in California we had mask mandates longer than many places. Now we feel naked if we’re not wearing. Still wear everywhere that involves anything inside. Don’t have activities that are outdoor and crowded (like fireworks viewing).
It’s been very beneficial to hear these experiences. Both Europe trips everyone over there still masking plus the first trip we were in the Alps hiking. Nary a sniffle. Think we will be masking heavily. Our first trip to WDW in 13 years, special dates, etc. Last thing we want is to start feeling crummy on day 3:eek:f 8! Thanks much

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

I agree with other posters that said if your goal is to not get COVID, don't go. If people want to wear masks still totally their right, but unless you're planning to santaize all your clothing every day, not fly down, and not eat at restaurants, you probably will be exposed to it at some point. Tables are back to normal seating for the most part, they will seat you with strangers on the rides and there are no partitions. But if you have vaxxed and boosted, you should be OK. Get sick, maybe? Yes, but that's always been a risk. I have gotten norovirus down there past trips and that pretty much ended the vacation 2 days early.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom