Mask wearers questions

ceecee101

Hi we’re going in a couple of weeks, Covid virgins and also haven’t had colds in 3 years. Question here just for people who wear masks (no other comments needed):
1. Did you ever not wear your mask? Thinking of different scenarios—obviously we will wear in crowded inside spots (think stretching room at HM), but were there outside spots you felt ok taking it off? Obviously crowded fireworks areas we will wear but just walking around say AK did you not wear?
Thanks much.

Gaston's gal

I've had all the Covid shots/boosters so far, taken care of two family members who got Covid, been to Disney, Universal numerous times, went on a Norwegian Mediterranean cruise this past summer and flown countless times over the last two years. Haven't worn a mask if it wasn't required. Never got Covid.
If you don't want to get Covid, don't go.

Upvote 0

Vegas Disney Fan

Even with masks it’s still important to be aware about touching things in the queue, handrails, entering/exiting bathrooms, etc. Because it’s being careful to not only avoid covid, but regular cold, RSV, flu, etc.
Say you touch these things, then you adjust your mask or take it off or whatever but in the process you’ve touched your face, then you’re outside happy and free and then you touch face and rub your eyes.
So for me, I’m still psycho about hand sanitizer and being hands-to-face aware.
Also whether I’m inside or out, if someone sneezes or an open air cough by me, I pretend I just went under water, hold my breath and “swim” back up to clean air.

Seems like one of us always catches a cold or the flu at WDW and even though we didn’t wear masks at all outdoors our last trip (they were still required indoors) we didn’t catch anything, the only difference from previous years was masks indoors and sanitizing/washing hands very frequently.

I think clean hands is probably the best defense against anything.

Edited to add we are both vaxed and boosted also. We’ve been to DL dozens of days this year without masks anywhere and didn’t get sick once, we’ve both gotten Covid at work though, I think all you can do is take precautions and hope for the best.

Upvote 0
I’m sick now. I took my mask off for 5 seconds on an outdoor walk for a sip of water. An UNMASKED bicyclist rode right next to me. He was breathing quite heavily. Now I am sick. Not a coincidence. Covid is airborne.

Upvote 0

Raxel7851

Yup. My whole family got COVID on a fully masked cruise with 100% vaccine compliance and 100% negative tests before boarding.
Wow Cap, that’s crazy! I hope everyone is ok. We both got in May on our next to last day at WDW. We left a day early on our drive home. We were at FW and POFQ for 11 days in September and we made out ok. We’re going back for Christmas boosted. I’m with @Club Cooloholic !

Upvote 0

Tom 55

Wife and I were down to Disney World Sept 19 - 26. Got out just before hurricane. Was with my niece and her 7 year old daughter. Wife and I have had 4 vaccines shots each, they are both anti vaccine. Flew down, had Uber drive to POP and never wore a mask at any time. All the parks were more crowded than I had seen in all the years we come down at this time. Had no problems with colds or Covid at all.

Upvote 0

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’m sick now. I took my mask off for 5 seconds on an outdoor walk for a sip of water. An UNMASKED bicyclist rode right next to me. He was breathing quite heavily. Now I am sick. Not a coincidence. Covid is airborne.
Masks mainly protect others from the wearer, not you from them. It’s unlikely to be Covid.

I’m certainly not a denier as others can attest.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

SplashJacket

The likelihood that you became ill from that particular encounter is near zero.

The average velocity of an amateur bicyclist on flat ground is roughly 7.6 meters per second. If we assume your bubble to 2 meters (according to initial social distancing guidelines), he was in your area for roughly a quarter second. There's a lower likelihood he was even sick given he was doing physical exercise. You were also outside (I presume) which is inherently low risk. As I said, it's not impossible, but the odds you got ill from that person specifically is near zero.

And yeah, masks do work really well, however, they aren't impermeable shields. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were using an N95 mask, and if you were, the mask can filter at least 95% of particles at 0.3 microns. Covid is a 0.1-micron particle. Does that mean masks can't filter covid? No. Most viruses, like covid, are suspended in something, like water droplets, so the mask would filter through those viruses. The added benefit of masking is the reduction in breath travel distance. As a wearer, your breaths and coughs travel shorter distances, leading to a smaller exposure radius if you are infected. If you are healthy and wearing a mask. the air you're breathing is being drawn from a smaller area, so there is benefit there as well (however, it's greater if the sick person is actually wearing one).

There's a much higher chance that you got ill from 100 masked encounters rather than 1 unmasked encounter. However, if you had 5 masked encounters and 1 unmasked encounter in passing, more than likely, it was the unmasked encounter that got you sick. But I assume you interact with substantial numbers of people on any given day, even if you attempt to keep exposure to a minimum, so like truly, the chance this one guy got you sick is extraordinarily slim.

Only one in roughly 5000 Americans tested positive over the last two weeks (according to public testing data) and even if we assume it is a severe undercount (it almost certainly is) and say there are 10x or even 50x more cases, that's only 1 in 500 people or 1 in 100 people, so truly, the chance that one zooming past you for a mere moment got you sick, is extraordinarily low.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

You can get COVID almost anywhere, anytime, no matter how careful you are.

It finally caught up with me in early September. I was fully vaccinated and boosted and still wearing masks in public. All I did during what must have been the exposure period was visit a couple of grocery stores (masked) for a few minutes' each, but I was very run down from a week-long bout of insomnia, and my immune system was probably supressed as a result. (That being said, the vaccine did what it was supposed to do, and although I'm extremely vulnerable to lung ailments and something as simple as a common cold will most often progress to pneumonia with me, my illness was brief and mild: I quarantined for 5 days and wore a mask even in the house for another 5 days, and none of my family members caught it.)

By all means, wear your mask whenever you feel you ought to, because they do add a layer of protection (not total protection, just an added layer), but understand that whether you visit WDW or go about your daily life in your hometown, COVID is always a potential risk, and one we're all just going to have to get used to. FWIW, when we visited WDW in August 2021 (when masks were largely mandated), we only took our masks off in restaurants, and when outdoors with few people around. If we were walking or standing in crowded areas outdoors, standing in lines, browsing shops, riding transportation, or on attractions, we wore them. When we visited Universal in February 2022 (when masks were optional for us due to having been vaccinated), we rarely wore masks, except when in close quarters in ride queues. Were we to go back to Orlando now, we'd probably bring them with us, but only slip them on if we found ourselves near someone who was coughing, or if we otherwise felt uncomfortable, but it's a personal decision everyone should feel free to make for themselves without judgment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LeighM

I always got sick during and after every Disney vacation so, several years ago, I started traveling with a mini medicine cabinet so that I would have everything I needed when I got sick LOL. I have asthma and I don't do well with upper respiratory infections so I try to mask up as much as possible when inside a crowded space. I only wear a mask outdoors if I'm in a people jam. I've gotten all boosters including the bivalent one. I think I probably had covid back in January 2020 before we knew it was a thing but haven't tested positive. After a couple of years of not even having a head cold, I've caught almost every other non covid virus that's now in circulation despite taking precautions LOL. I guess I have to build my immune system back up. If you want to go to Disney but are worried about getting sick, make sure you have plenty of hand sanitizer and a good enough mask to help protect you. The mask won't prevent you from getting sick but it might reduce your viral load.

Upvote 0

5minnie

We are at Disney now. We are wearing our masks in crowded stores, when in line for a ride and on buses. Basically when ever we are in close contact with people. A bus driver even thanked us for putting our masks on. I would say about 1/2 disney employees have masks so I will mirror them during interactions. Also haven't noticed a lot of coughing. Storm appears to have passed so back to the parks this afternoon 😊

Upvote 0
We are at Disney now. We are wearing our masks in crowded stores, when in line for a ride and on buses. Basically when ever we are in close contact with people. A bus driver even thanked us for putting our masks on. I would say about 1/2 disney employees have masks so I will mirror them during interactions. Also haven't noticed a lot of coughing. Storm appears to have passed so back to the parks this afternoon 😊
I am here now too! You are lucky! I have only encountered ANTIMASKERS! Maybe 1 in 20 cast members are wearing masks. And they are all cloth!

Upvote 0

ceecee101

Original Poster
I appreciate the responses, as I said this thread wasn’t intended as a debate pro/con but a question for those who do mask as to when they felt ok without. I was comparing HM stretching room vs walking outside at AK as examples. Not just Covid but other gunk too. I think we will be erring on the side of more masked rather than less but appreciate the responses. I used to travel 200k per year on business long before Covid. In Asia even back then masks were worn by almost everyone (You wouldn’t want to get on the subway in Tokyo without one!) but I will also say hand sanitizer and wipes were also my friend. Never did get a cold or flu but I did get stomach bugs twice, once so bad in Hong Kong had to hit hospital and for those hand sanitizer is key. I was also in Asia on business during the original SARS and masks were worn everywhere. So thanks for your perspectives. Haven’t been to WDW in 13 years, not really sure what it’s like now and all the talk of how super crowded it is makes me lean toward being on a Tokyo subway rather than hiking the Swiss Alps! Thanks

Upvote 1

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom