Trip Report Mask up for the August Alternate 2020 Trip

Hello friends! My husband and I just got back about a week ago from our WDW trip, it was strange, hot, fun, and in a way unexpected. I'll start with some quick details:

Who: Me (Am) and my husband (Brad)
When: August 6-20, 2020
Resort: Pop Century (was scheduled for All Star Sports)

Let me explain my title a little: We were scheduled to travel to WDW in June the 21st through July 5. It was going to be epic.....we would be there over our birthdays, 15th wedding anniversary, and had a couple of Magic meetups planned. That trip didn't happen. While planning our trips at home I always come up with some sort of title for our trips to give it a little excitement. Well, shortly after the shut down in March, about 2 weeks after the parks closed I had a feeling that my June trip wouldn't happen so hubs and I looked at the calendar and figured out a date when we could go to WDW, we had to plan around some of his church activities (all got cancelled) and a girls trip to California for me (cancelled too). So in late March I booked a two week stay at the Sports. But all while planning including the frustrating day in June to get park reservations and the day I cancelled June/July I was never able to build up much excitement for this August trip. So I always stayed labeled in my planning things as the August Alternate trip, how generic! So I had hope that the trip would happen but I was convinced something would happen and we wouldn't be able to go.

Fast forward to the first week of August, days before leaving. I get an email from my boss (principal) asking what my travel dates to Florida were so they could be consistent on teachers traveling and returning back to work. My return date was 4 days before I would start back to work for inservice so no time to quarantine if he asked me to! Ugh! I couldn't lie to my boss and I couldn't ignore his email. Well he didn't ask me to quarantine but he did ask that I get a Covid test upon my return and then quarantine if needed or until my results came back. He asked if I wanted to come in an work a day so that if something happened I would have had time to work to get my classroom ready and he said I could bank it as a day worked so I wouldn't have to use a day if I did quarantine. So that's what I did. In a way it was surreal to be back working in my room, which was the day before we left for WDW. As I was working in my room that day I had a flash, the last day I worked a full day in my classroom was before I went to WDW in March! Whoa! So with a fully day of work banked, suitcases packed, it looked like our Alternate trip was really happening!

*Spoiler alert: my Covid test came back negative, it was probably too early to take it when I came back but it satisfied my boss. Also neither of us have had any symptoms of Covid upon return so looks like we might have stayed safe.

Okay, let's begin......

August 6, 2020

Our flight out of Minneapolis left at 8:20 am so our plan was to wake up around 4 am get ready and drive to the airport. Who sleeps before a trip! We were up around 3am but we didn't leave until around 4:15am. I got a great parking deal at a Park n Fly for our two week park that was like $7 a day so much cheaper than the small airport lot at $15 a day! Does anyone remember the old WDW information station that used to play the song "I'm Going to Disney World"? I have that song and usually play it on the way to the airport and I played it as we pulled into the Park N Fly lot. I didn't play it before I didn't want to jinx us!

The airport was really strange, usually it is such a hub bub of activity but today it was so strange because there weren't many people. Security was a walk up and we were through in less than 2 minutes! We got breakfast at the Caribou Coffee near our gate and spent time just relaxing in our masks waiting. Our flight was on Delta and they did a great job on the flight. When we boarded we were handed wipes to wipe our area, they reminded people about masks, and during flight we were handed a snack pack in a plastic bag with water,chocolate covered pretzels, cheez-its, napkin and hand sanitizer. The middle seat was empty so we had our own row and Brad watched Star Wars something and I watched the Downton Abbey movie (I'd rewatched the series before leaving so this pleased me to rewatch movie too).

The airport in Minneapolis.
IMG_5058.JPG

Flights on time, and plane is here! It's happening! It's really happening!
IMG_5059.JPG

Waiting at the gate
IMG_5060.JPG

On the plane, looking out! Different from my last flight in March. No snow on the ground this time!
IMG_5062.JPG

Ready for flight!
IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

And we've made it to Orlando!!! Again the airport was pretty empty and we had to retrieve our own luggage this time.
IMG_5065.JPG

And here we are at Magical Express, not too many people in line. I think when we came in March this is where we started our line up to check in.
IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

There was a sign that said our wait could be an hour and the ME agent said that too but from check in to the bus pulling away it was less than 20 minutes which is shorter than some of the pre-Covid trips we have had.
IMG_5068.JPG

Coming up: arrival at WDW and will there be tears?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 7, 2020

Our first attraction was Peter Pan, we were the second party in line and as we were going through the queue I hung back because I could get pictures with no one through. There weren't any other groups in the queue until we were about the leave the kids bedroom.

IMG_5219.JPG
IMG_5220.JPG
IMG_5225.JPG
IMG_5232.JPG

After Pan we worked on knocking out Fantasyland. We always ride the carousel and take a picture of us on it once per trip, its a tradition from when I was a kid.
IMG_5238.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG

We even went on Pooh and we never do! Doesn't he look super excited about it.
IMG_5242.JPG

Solo time in the tea cups and I got my green and purple one that is super spinner!
IMG_5247.JPG

A view of the castle!
IMG_5249.JPG

And Dumbo time!
IMG_5251.JPG

Coming up soon: more Magic Kingdom! I'd continue on but school is starting with students tomorrow and I should probably get a good night's sleep!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
We are Dapper Dan fans and for our trip in January 2018 we got that same tshirt design on sweatshirts. It was really cold that trip and my DD had hers on (under her winter coat) pretty much every day of the trip ... until our last day when temps went up significantly to just t-shirt wearing temps. We arrived on Main Street about the time the Dapper Dans were to perform, but couldn’t find them. We asked one of the citizens of Main Street, who wasn’t sure either and so he conferred with a nearby photopass photographer. He said we were a tad early and so we were chatting with both of them when the Dans came out. The photopass photographer started snapping a bunch of candids and then some photos of us with the Dans, telling them that this was the first day of the trip we were not wearing our Dapper Dan paraphernalia 😉

Songbird76

Thanks... Since Vegas is a longer flight... maybe I'll freeze a wet sponge and put it in a plastic baggie to keep something cold. It's not hazardous materials that way. And if TSA decides it should be thrown away.... I won't cry over a dollar store sponge.
That is a really smart idea! I was thinking you could get one of those freezer gel packs, but you wouldn't want to lose that. A frozen sponge would just act like a giant ice cube and can easily be thrown out when you're done. I'm totally going to steal this idea for travel!!!

Minnesota disney fan

Wow, your school year in Wisconsin must be starting early? Here in Mn. the individual cities can say what level of schooling they will do. Our high school picked one week at home learning, and one week in school and it starts 9/14!

I had to laugh at Brad's expression on riding WTP. We have never ridden it at all! I know, blasphemous! On our last trip before covid in early March, I suggested riding it and got the EXACT same expression from my husband, LOL! The line was long and we ended up Not riding it. I guess I will have to ride it alone, sigh............................... Loving your report, and hope your school year goes well!

Laurensl

Thanks... Since Vegas is a longer flight... maybe I'll freeze a wet sponge and put it in a plastic baggie to keep something cold. It's not hazardous materials that way. And if TSA decides it should be thrown away.... I won't cry over a dollar store sponge.
That’s a brilliant idea!!!

DisneyGigi

I’m late, as always! This time, I had a a good excuse, though. ;) Loving it so far. Gosh, it looks so awesomely uncrowded ! 😍

Still don’t know how I feel about the paint. The pink, is okay and I love the gold, that blue though? I am not so sure.

I am not one for change though. :-/

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here but late. We’ve been busy virtual learning🤨.

Glad you are here. Hope the virtual learning is going ok.

Excited for a new trip report from you guys- always enjoy them! I’m so glad you got to go back! We head down in 3 days - can’t wait!

I'm glad you are here, jealous you will be there in 3 days! Have a fantastic time!

We are Dapper Dan fans and for our trip in January 2018 we got that same tshirt design on sweatshirts. It was really cold that trip and my DD had hers on (under her winter coat) pretty much every day of the trip ... until our last day when temps went up significantly to just t-shirt wearing temps. We arrived on Main Street about the time the Dapper Dans were to perform, but couldn’t find them. We asked one of the citizens of Main Street, who wasn’t sure either and so he conferred with a nearby photopass photographer. He said we were a tad early and so we were chatting with both of them when the Dans came out. The photopass photographer started snapping a bunch of candids and then some photos of us with the Dans, telling them that this was the first day of the trip we were not wearing our Dapper Dan paraphernalia 😉

Such a cool story. I'm glad the photopass photographer was able to provide a little magic.

Those masks! ❤

But never do Pooh? 👎

Sorry about the no Pooh, neither of us have ever been big fans of the characters. I do like Eeyore for some reason though. I usually ride the Pooh ride at Disneyland, mostly because I like to look back and see Melvin, Buff, and Max on the wall in the ride.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Good luck with your first day of school!! I hope things go well.
QIbX.gif

Thanks. It ended up being an decent day but busy. I had some issues with Zoom and none of my 8th graders that were supposed to show up showed up. And we had a kid gone today because the mom thought school started on Thursday!

I'm super late but I'm here it looks like you had a great time!

Better late than never! :) Nice to have you here.

Good luck with your first day of school!

Thanks! It went well, but we will see how tomorrow goes.

Following along!

Thanks for following!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow, your school year in Wisconsin must be starting early? Here in Mn. the individual cities can say what level of schooling they will do. Our high school picked one week at home learning, and one week in school and it starts 9/14!

I had to laugh at Brad's expression on riding WTP. We have never ridden it at all! I know, blasphemous! On our last trip before covid in early March, I suggested riding it and got the EXACT same expression from my husband, LOL! The line was long and we ended up Not riding it. I guess I will have to ride it alone, sigh............................... Loving your report, and hope your school year goes well!

Schools here in Wisconsin can open by either September 1 or Labor Day, whichever comes first. Some schools get a special waiver to start early or have "summer" school but count it towards the regular school year. In Wisconsin too districts were able to choose how they wanted to start the school year. We chose to offer in person, distance through zoom (students check in and watch like there were at school), or they could go virtual through a system offered through our WI Department of Instruction. I really think our community would have had a huge problem with us not offering in person learning. Thanks for the best wishes though.

Wow, never ridden WTP!? It is a cute ride and I like when Tigger makes me bounce! Hopefully you will get to ride it in the future.

I’m late, as always! This time, I had a a good excuse, though. ;) Loving it so far. Gosh, it looks so awesomely uncrowded ! 😍

Still don’t know how I feel about the paint. The pink, is okay and I love the gold, that blue though? I am not so sure.

I am not one for change though. :-/

I'll forgive you for being late. 🙂 I really think the castle looks better in person, at least until we all get used to the colors. I'm pretty sure the blue will fade in time.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 7, 2020

I left off with us flying high in an elephant so we moved on to Goofy's barnstormer (or whatever it is called) before taking an air conditioning break in the relaxation station at Pete's Silly Sideshow in Storybook Circus. It was kind of weird in the relaxation station there wasn't any background music and we both kept thinking about the last time we were in there in March meeting and joking around with Goofy and Donald.

Tron construction
IMG_5258.JPG

IMG_5261.JPG

Then we took a dive under the sea.
IMG_5263.JPG

Our vehicle paused slightly in front of Ariel so I got a decent picture.
IMG_5268.JPG

Sadly no cinnamon rolls at Gaston's for a snack. I guess still out looking for more antlers for decorating, tavern closed...
IMG_5272.JPG

Gaston has nothing on you Brad!
IMG_5274.JPG

Not too busy. Apparently my sister in niece were in the carousel line and tried to get our attention but we didn't see them. I rarely notice people when I'm out and about, especially at Disney, I get wrapped up in my own little world. So if you ever see me please don't think I'm ignoring you just yell really loud!
IMG_5277.JPG

So we moved on to small world and B kept falling asleep and every time I tried to take a picture of him sleeping he would wake up.
IMG_5281.JPG

This was taken from the Haunted Mansion line, it looked long and extended all the way into this old keel boat loading area but it moved fast.
IMG_5287.JPG

We had time to cruise through the jungle before lunch. I'm such a dork I usually look in the wrong spot when doing selfies.
IMG_5296.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 7, 2020

Time for lunch at one of our favorites....Skipper Canteen! When we went in March our server was stellar he had a lot of jokes, was the right about of friendly talkative, and really helpful to the family with special needs that was next to us. We gave him a cast compliment. The server we had today was fine but not really interactive and didn't tell any jokes so it was a bit of a bummer but she did a fine job of serving. Also in March we enjoyed the "secret" appetizer of the Brazilian cheese bread (yep just like Epcot) but it came with a yummy sauce to dip in. But because the menu was more limited it was no longer offered. We we asked about and the server told us it wasn't available she then said a lot of people keep asking for the bread so maybe it will come back soon.

Lunch was very tasty and I enjoyed a Tusker beer. I don't think I've ever had it before and it was a nice crisp refreshing beer, something I find refreshing on a hot day and it was a hot day!

I had the tastes like chicken because it is (with extra chili sauce...yum yum yum) and B had the char sui pork. Such a great meal (bring back the cheese bread!).
IMG_5300.JPG

I have no idea why I wasn't looking at the camera, maybe I was thinking of how tasty the beer would be. Or maybe it was "I'm smiling but why don't they have the cheese bread smile."
IMG_5303.JPG
IMG_5304.JPG
IMG_5306.JPG

IMG_5307.JPG

After lunch we headed over to Big Thunder because of course after eating one should always ride a roller coaster. But we run into a character caravan. These were fun to have spring up.
IMG_5312.JPG
IMG_5313.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5318.JPG

Some Country Bears were also out waving to their adoring fans!
IMG_5320.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 7th, 2020

So we took a spin on the wildest ride in the wilderness and then decided to start heading out of the park, so just a few random pictures and castle/hub pictures. It was still so strange to see such light crowds and we ran into another character caravan with some of Pooh's friends. We were actually more excited to see the horse and the trolley.
IMG_5321.JPG
IMG_5324.JPG

Super cute but I do NOT need more mugs do I? Maybe just a picture...
IMG_5326.JPG
IMG_5328.JPG
IMG_5331.JPG
IMG_5332.JPG
IMG_5336.JPG
IMG_5339.JPG
IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_5342.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom