Mary Poppins' Jolly Holiday

Valentine

Original Poster
Hey there. This is my first ride concept: Mary Poppins' Jolly Holiday. You can find the ride plan at http://disneysneverland.angelfire.com/Jolly_Holiday_Blueprint.jpg (you'll have copy and paste it manually I'm afraid).

Mary Poppins’ Jolly Holiday
EPCOTs United Kingdom

Mary Poppins’ Jolly Holiday is a classic dark ride depicting a number of scenes from the Mary Poppins books by P.L.Travers and accompanied by music from the 1964 Disney motion picture.

Boarding
Guests board one of four two-person carousel horses on what looks like a standard carousel. Paintings from various Mary Poppins outings adorn the woodwork, and organ renditions of Mary Poppins music play throughout.

The ride starts up, but instead of circling around the carousel, the horses leap off and head through a hole in a large chalk sketch of Cherry Tree Lane. The horses are connected at the top of their poles to the ceiling, and bob about a foot off the ground throughout the ride.

Cherry Tree Lane
After going through the chalk picture of Cherry Tree Lane, the guests find themselves in a recreation of the London street. A magical medley of Mary Poppins songs can be heard, and the guests can spot Mary Poppins sitting on a cloud above them. Bert stands by, dressed in his one-man-band outfit.

Banks Household
The horses jump over the garden gate of Number 17 Cherry Tree Lane, and float up the steps and through the door. Inside, they find Mrs Banks, cook and and the household staff in their suffragette banners. In the corner, a small fireplace has ripped up pieces of a letter on the coals. The horses turn and head up the stairs.

The Nursery
At the top of the stairs is the Nursery, where we come face to face with Mary Poppins, Jane and Michael in the midst of singing A Spoonful of Sugar and tidying up the Nursery. Toys have come to life, dresser drawers open and close of their own accord, and a robin rests on the window sill, whistling along to the tune. On a table, a six foot lampshade sticks half out of a carpet bag.

The Fireplace
We leave the Nursery to once again join Bert, dressed as a chimney sweep, with his chimney sweep brushes and overalls lining the floor in front of a sooty fireplace. He sings Chim Chim Cher-ee to us as he beckons us towards an open window next to him, which we jump out through into nighttime London.

The Rooftops
Now outside the window, we are on the rooftops - smokestacks billowing around us up into a nighttime sky, and a crowd of sweeps dancing on the chimneys, singing merrily to Step in Time. The carousel horses spin and move amount in time with the music.

St Paul’s Cathedral
The horses jump off from the far side of the rooftop, and slowly turn around so they’re travelling backwards, as they decend the steps of St Pauls Cathedral. We see the Bird Woman, bags of breadcrumbs on her lap, and hear Mary Poppins singing Feed the Birds. Perched on the steps, hundreds of pigeons serenade the guests with gentle cooing.

Cherry Tree Corner

We head through a large iron gate, back into daytime, returning to Cherry Tree Lane. Along the pavement are a number of chalk drawings by Bert - a scenic river, a three ring circus, a picturesque British countryside. We jump over the paintings and through some bushes.

The Chalk Painting

We’re now in one of Bert’s drawings. The realism of the previous sets its gone in favour of cartoon characters and landscapes. Farmyard animals sing along to Jolly Holiday, while penguins dance with Bert and Mary Poppins watches on.

The Horse Race
We round a corner and find we have stumbled upon a horse derby. A stout man with a big moustache fires his pistol and the carousel horses once again act independently. They race down a grass track, over hedges and fences as Michael, Jane and a bunch of colourful cartoon spectators cheer them on the song Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Each ride has a different winner before the horses group back together, and head around the final corner.

The Park
The horses bob into a dusk-time park, with hundreds of kites filling the sky. The horses come to a stop allowing the guests to disembark as we hear the rides final song, Let’s Go Fly a Kite.

So any thoughts? And please don't shout at me for including it at EPCOT :eek:

KingMickey

In the Parks
Yes
Wow! I think this ride would be amazing! I love how descriptive you are with each scene! This would finally give The United Kingdom a long overdue E-Ticket!

terp79

I hate to burst your bubble but alas this idea has already been done in the walls of WDI. Actually I know of 2 different concepts for attractions done around Mary Poppins. . .both where done by finalists for the Walt Disney Imagineering ImagiNations Design Contest.

I love the idea.

The carousel horse ride car is the only thing that concerns me. I love the concept but don't see how it would make a practical ride car. Then again I couldn't think of a cooler way to experience a Marry Poppins ride. Once again, amazing idea, great job.

funky_shao

I hate to burst your bubble but alas this idea has already been done in the walls of WDI. Actually I know of 2 different concepts for attractions done around Mary Poppins. . .both where done by finalists for the Walt Disney Imagineering ImagiNations Design Contest.

I've heard of these prior concepts as well. However, assuming that Valentine is not one to plagiarise :animwink: I would say that this is a good, creative idea. Some expansion points:

-you could attempt to refine the structure by making a back story show through more clearly - at the moment, the scenes we go through following the script of the movie, but you only describe what happens in the scenes - what does each scene depict with regards to the larger context? Remember one of the cardinal rules of animation - everything has a reason!

-You have scenes which are all great at generating the feel of the attraction. As a connection with the first point, try and reduce the number of scenes down to tie in with a particular story thread. Realistically, it would allow you to concentrate more on really gettiing the included scenes to flow seamlessly - you can't rush art!

Keep going! Would love to see what you come up with! :)

wedenterprises

Tony Baxter is seen in a photograph holding drawings for an attraction he conceptualized many years ago with this exact name and essentially the same story experience.

It IS a cool idea though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom