Marvel's The Eternals

LSLS

"Black Widow‘s shift kicks Marvel’s Eternals from Feb. 12, 2021 to Nov. 5, 2021"

Seems to be a bit more in play to me than what the article is saying. They didn't just shift this movie, they completely changed the order of the Marvel films. And that is a huge delay for Black Widdow considering they are opening other movie during those time frames.

doctornick

I'm curious as to how The Eternals will play out in China given the contentious relationship of Zhao with her native country contrasted with the huge popularity of the MCU there.

Jedijax719

I'm curious as to how The Eternals will play out in China given the contentious relationship of Zhao with her native country contrasted with the huge popularity of the MCU there.
What exactly did Chloe do/say? I've tried to find it online but couldn't find anything specific.

doctornick

What exactly did Chloe do/say? I've tried to find it online but couldn't find anything specific.

Not exactly sure; I think she had just talked about how growing up there wasn't as much freedom and a lot of lies in the China media. There's been a number of reports today on how the Chinese media has wiped out references to her Oscar win from online search engines and such.

Jedijax719

Not exactly sure; I think she had just talked about how growing up there wasn't as much freedom and a lot of lies in the China media. There's been a number of reports today on how the Chinese media has wiped out references to her Oscar win from online search engines and such.
Yeah I finally found it. Seems pretty mild (and 100% spot on). Hyperbole reaction from the Chinese in my opinion.

The one concern I have about the movie is how "old" the cast skews-especially the females. There's one young girl and then there's Selma and Angelina, both in their 50's. I don't know anything about the Eternals character backstories, but it does seem like a curious choice in the day and age of 20/30 year old female leads being the trend.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Excerpts...

And at 39, Zhao is just starting. Next up is her massively ambitious Marvel movie “Eternals,” based on Jack Kirby’s comic series, with a large ensemble cast featuring Gemma Chan, Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek and Kumail Nanjiani. It’s a huge leap from her first three films, and after several COVID-19 delays, “Eternals” will hit theaters in November.

Zhao — a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the comics from which it originates — approached the company herself. She was originally considered for “Black Widow,” according to Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel Studios, but took herself off the list. Eventually, Zhao and Marvel executive Nate Moore began working together on an “Eternals” pitch, which Feige calls “spectacular.” It was, he says, “a very bold and very ambitious, sprawling 7,000-year story of humanity and our place in the cosmos.”

In a movie that would be full of visual effects and green screen — as all Marvel movies are — Feige says Zhao “was really fighting for practical locations” in accordance with her vision for it. At one point, they cut a sample reel of “Eternals” for Disney higher-ups to watch.

“And I had to keep saying, ‘This is right out of a camera; there’s no VFX work to this at all!’” Feige says. “Because it was a beautiful sunset, with perfect waves and mist coming up from the shore on this giant cliff side — really impressive stuff.” Later, watching “Nomadland,” he saw similar shots. “Oh! That is not just what she wanted to bring to Marvel,” he remembers thinking. “This is a signature style.”

Kevin Feige said your original plan was that you were actually going to finish “Eternals” and it was even going to come out before you edited “Nomadland.” But because of COVID, you finished “Nomadland” so that was ready first. Is that right?

Yeah, I think so. I mean they were really back-to-back, those two movies.​

That would have changed the course of history! Is it wild to think that if COVID hadn’t hit, “Nomadland” wouldn’t have come out this year?

I have gone through ups and downs in my relatively short career. And one thing I’ve learned is a bit of a cliché, but everything does happen for a reason. We never expected “Nomadland” to resonate the way it did. But everything worked out.​

What has this year of anti-Asian violence and hate crimes directed toward Asian people been like for you?

We’ve got to check in with each other. And I was very grateful for the phone calls, the messages, the Zoom calls I received. I think Tyler Perry said it really well last night. Sometimes it’s hard to have these conversations, but just by reaching out and to ask, “Are you OK? What can I do?” It means so much. Walk down the street and smile at a stranger — that might just make your day. So I think we have to start with ourselves — the small community and circle that we’re in. And if we all do that, I think we can make a change.​

“Eternals” will have Marvel’s first gay superhero, a deaf character, a huge international cast. Did Marvel say yes to all those things?

It’s just been such an incredible experience working with the team at Marvel. I want to be careful saying “my vision,” even though I do want people to know they did support what I wanted to do. I want people to know that. But I also want to make sure they know that I got the support of this incredibly talented team, some of the most talented artists in the world. And it really is a village to make this film, but they did let me lead. Yes.​

I know you’ve worked with small, tightly knit crews on your other movies. How different was “Eternals”?

Props to Marvel — from early on, they knew the way I wanted to make this film, how I wanted to shoot. It can’t be hundreds of people standing around. So they very much adapted how to run the set the way that I wanted to work. I’m still surrounded by 25 people. They just have armies, and each of them knew they needed to keep the army away.​

During a conversation you had with Barry Jenkins for Variety earlier this year, when you were talking about “Eternals,” you said, “Can I put a spin on it while still being true to the essence of it?” How did you do that?

Jack Kirby and his imagination, his incredible work, is really the foundation of it. On top of that, there is what Marvel Studios has built, this incredible journey they have going on. And then on top of that is me as a fan of the MCU. And then, me as a fan of the genre, but also growing up with sci-fi and manga and fantasy films. And how can we have this big melting pot and cook up something that may just taste a little bit different? It was just an exciting thing; all of us went in wanting to do that. We’ll see.​

You’ve said you’re getting a writing credit on it, and I know you’re in post-production now. Are you editing it too?

No. I’m working with two incredible editors, Craig Wood and Dylan Tichenor. And they’ve taught me so much. They were very patient with me, because they know it’s the first time that I’ve collaborated with editors that way. They’ve really helped me find the language to be able to communicate with them in a way that I hadn’t had to do to this extent.​

Where are you with “Eternals” right now?

Final stretch. Just like sculpturing, you never want it to end. You just want to keep going until they tell you you can’t keep going anymore.​

Jedijax719

Gemma Chan's character (Sersi?) will be the main character although Richard Madden's character (Ikaris) may also take center stage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom