Marvel's Next Step

lazyboy97o

My laypersons understanding of the contract (as posted online) is that Disney does indeed have rights (in WDW, or anywhere, including east of the Mississippi) to any characters Universal either hasn't used, or has used in only an incidental manner. Exactly what constitutes "incidental' use is spelled out in the agreement, as best I recall, and in part this depends on use of the character in promotional materials.
This issue though is further complicated because Universal gets the rights to the entire family of characters associated with any characters in use.

That is another very important, convoluted, and interesting point to consider in all of this. There are a lot of details in the contract concerning merchandise and advertising that make things very difficult for Disney to use Marvel in WDW, even as owners of the characters. I would hate to be on the marketing team tasked with implementing that strategy!
Does anybody know if Universal Orlando Resort is still being advertised in Marvel publications? That a competing resort is getting a good deal on advertising in their publications has to be driving Disney nuts.

Something else to consider: Given all the headaches and entanglements, why would Disney even bother with Marvel in WDW? They have tons of unused properties sitting around that won't involve a law suit or a contract buyout. If they are reluctant to pony up the dough for a Tron attraction which they own completely, why would they walk into the mine field that is a Marvel?
Depends on how much Disney wants to create the association between Disney and Marvel. Marvel being elsewhere hurts those efforts.

Does Universal have to continue to pay licensing fees to Disney for their use of Marvel? Maybe it was as simple a business move as that...
Yes, Universal is still paying for the use of Marvel.

maxairmike

There has to be more behind Disney buying Marvel then we know. Makes no sense after seeing that contract why they would make the move, but then again to Disney they might be seeing dollar signs somewhere else no where near Florida and probally not even in the US

Look at the previous page (actually, page 3, since this ended up on page 5). A few of us touched on the main reasons Disney picked up Marvel. Mainly the movie and merchandise end of things. The theme parks are pretty much afterthoughts for this acquisition, especially in Florida.

IMO, keep Marvel characters OUT of the Disney parks: ALL Disney parks. The two don't mix. Marvel has violence, muscles and spandex, while Disney is more charm, heart and magic. Don't get me wrong; I like superheroes as much as the next person. I have no beef with Marvel as an individual. I just think that the two are too different to fit together. MAYBE if they got their own park somewhere separate; like a different state than all the others. But for me, Marvel and Disney should not go together. I will be horrified if this happens. I'm already protest to Marvel merchandise having a single shelf in Disney Parks stores. If I saw Spiderman and Mr. Incredible battling bad guys together, I might puke.

SOLISIMO

Look at the previous page. A few of us touched on the main reasons Disney picked up Marvel. Mainly the movie and merchandise end of things. The theme parks are pretty much afterthoughts for this acquisition, especially in Florida.

I understand that but I still think it has something more to do with power. Kind of like the Boston Red Sox taking A-rod from the Yankees. Marvel has been Universals power for years, and now Disney buys it/takes it from them:king:

Contracts like stated before can always change.

lazyboy97o

I understand that but I still think it has something more to do with power. Kind of like the Boston Red Sox taking A-rod from the Yankees. Marvel has been Universals power for years, and now Disney buys it/takes it from them:king:

Then the shareholders of Disney got shafted and should be ed. Marvel Super Hero Island is essentially land locked and, especially now after the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, is far from the headlining land at Islands of Adventure, a park that was underperforming to say the least. It would be like Disney buy The Peanuts because they are at Cedar Fair parks.

SOLISIMO

Then the shareholders of Disney got shafted and should be ed. Marvel Super Hero Island is essentially land locked and, especially now after the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, is far from the headlining land at Islands of Adventure, a park that underperforming to say the least.

Im talking about before, when spiderman was winning best attraction ride etc... Your right though, now people will run by it to get to WWOHP lol

SleepingMonk

IMO, keep Marvel characters OUT of the Disney parks: ALL Disney parks. The two don't mix. Marvel has violence, muscles and spandex, while Disney is more charm, heart and magic. Don't get me wrong; I like superheroes as much as the next person. I have no beef with Marvel as an individual. I just think that the two are too different to fit together. MAYBE if they got their own park somewhere separate; like a different state than all the others. But for me, Marvel and Disney should not go together. I will be horrified if this happens. I'm already protest to Marvel merchandise having a single shelf in Disney Parks stores. If I saw Spiderman and Mr. Incredible battling bad guys together, I might puke.

:eek:

Yeah, Disney needs more Princess merch, Princess rides, Princess meet & greets, Princess dinners, Princess boutiques, etc......

maxairmike

It has absolutely nothing to do with some perceived "power war" between the two resorts that fans of both places like to fantasize about. Just like how people loved to imagine and embellish a battle between Six Flags Magic Mountain and Cedar Point. Those don't truly exist beyond the confines of fans' minds and these discussion boards. The relationship between the competing parks in Orlando is almost symbiotic. If one is doing well, they all benefit in some way.

This was a strategic business move to improve and enlarge the ability to capture a demographic that Disney has failed to capture in the recent past. If Universal has to pay into Disney's bottom line, well that's just another humorous note in the boardroom.

lebeau

It has absolutely nothing to do with some perceived "power war" between the two resorts that fans of both places like to fantasize about. Just like how people loved to imagine and embellish a battle between Six Flags Magic Mountain and Cedar Point. Those don't truly exist beyond the confines of fans' minds and these discussion boards. The relationship between the competing parks in Orlando is almost symbiotic. If one is doing well, they all benefit in some way.

This was a strategic business move to improve and enlarge the ability to capture a demographic that Disney has failed to capture in the recent past. If Universal has to pay into Disney's bottom line, well that's just another humorous note in the boardroom.

Exactly!

It's amazing to me how WDW fans think every decision of this huge conglomerate somehow resolves around the parks. And not just the parks and resort division - but WDW specifically.

:brick:

:eek:

Yeah, Disney needs more Princess merch, Princess rides, Princess meet & greets, Princess dinners, Princess boutiques, etc......

I did not say Princess, nor do I think Disney should revolve only around Princess. The word I used was 'magic'. That's what I think Marvel lacks, and its why they wouldn't really fit together best.

maxairmike

I did not say Princess, nor do I think Disney should revolve only around Princess. The word I used was 'magic'. That's what I think Marvel lacks, and its why they wouldn't really fit together best.

A lot of young boys would strongly disagree, as would many pre-teens, teens, young adults, and adults. There is as much "magic" in the Marvel franchises as one wishes to see, just as there is as much magic in Cars or Nemo. I could hardly be considered a comic book fan, but waiting in line for and riding Hulk is a magical experience for me, just like waiting in line for and riding Tower of Terror.

There is as much magic in Marvel as there are in Disney's franchises. All it takes is some good imagineering and the proper audience to appreciate it (believe it or not, people don't find fairies and princesses too magical). Obviously, you are not in the target audience of Marvel.

Fractal514

How does Marvel and it's properties lack magic anymore than Star Wars or Indiana Jones? No one is suggesting they get added to fantasy land, but surely they fit in more than you would be willing to give them credit.

Christ, where is the magic in Stich? Other than the magic to make me puke.

lazyboy97o

Im talking about before, when spiderman was winning best attraction ride etc... Your right though, now people will run by it to get to WWOHP lol
And what was Disney's response to the opening of Islands of Adventure and The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man? Nothing. Why would they wait over a decade to make a move when it was clear that Islands of Adventure had never met any of its expectations? Islands of Adventure was a success with theme park fans, but not the general public.

majortom1981

hmm

Why keep marvel characters out of the parks? I can see Iron man in epcot futureworld (replace the old wonders of life pavilion with something ironman related) or in tommorrow world.

You can use the characters without forcing it upon everybody who visits the attaraction.

I wouldnt mind the characters in epcot if it gets the unused pavilion up again.

SleepingMonk

Why keep marvel characters out of the parks? I can see Iron man in epcot futureworld (replace the old wonders of life pavilion with something ironman related) or in tommorrow world.

You can use the characters without forcing it upon everybody who visits the attaraction.

I wouldnt mind the characters in epcot if it gets the unused pavilion up again.

Why EPCOT when the studios and MK need it more?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
You cant beat these threads for bringing out the fan boy hysteria.

Odd really when Disney hasnt exactly a great track record of actually delivering for the Marvel demographic. But the frustration and Universal envy is palpable and obviously very amusing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom