Marvel's Next Step

Krack

I have reasons to doubt the authenticity of the "contract". I don't believe that the real contract would be floating about the Internet. Another thing is that the document continues to use MCA. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that NBC/Universal is a part of MCA anymore. Furthermore, this "contract" seems to imply that it is between Universal and Marvel. If the parks are sold to someone new, this contract would no longer be valid. Also, it would be in NBC/Universal's best interest if Comcast would buy the parks, however, that isn't guaranteed. As someone put it in another post, why would they pay $2 Billion to basically keep something exactly the same. I've found by observing other such deals that no news usually means trouble. We'll have to wait and see I guess.:)

There is literally no assertion in your paragraph that has any accuracy or grounding in fact. I could go one by one and refute them, but you could do so yourself by reading through the thread. But to reiterate, everything you said is wrong.

Skip

I have reasons to doubt the authenticity of the "contract". I don't believe that the real contract would be floating about the Internet. Another thing is that the document continues to use MCA. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that NBC/Universal is a part of MCA anymore. Furthermore, this "contract" seems to imply that it is between Universal and Marvel. If the parks are sold to someone new, this contract would no longer be valid. Also, it would be in NBC/Universal's best interest if Comcast would buy the parks, however, that isn't guaranteed. As someone put it in another post, why would they pay $2 Billion to basically keep something exactly the same. I've found by observing other such deals that no news usually means trouble. We'll have to wait and see I guess.:)

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. I'm no legal expert, but I know well enough that the contract remains in place regardless of who owns Marvel. You can't just breach the contract. Bob Iger, CEO of the Disney Corporation, was even quoted saying they have to stay within the preexisting contract. That is the real contract, no question about it, and the fact that you're claiming it isn't is simply laughable.

"Reasonable approval" to me sounds like, as someone else pointed out, Universal can build any new additions to the Marvel area with the characters they own - which is essentially all but possibly Ghostrider. The reason they haven't is likely because the land is land-locked and the only potential expansion pads are behind Fearfall (which is a very small and would scrap a storage unit) or in place of the Toon Lagoon amphitheater. Universal chose to upgrade Spider-Man instead.

I honestly find it amazing that people will go so far to insinuate that Universal is "doomed" here. There's an unbelievable amount of official evidence that proves the contrary.

lazyboy97o

The Securities and Exchange Commission is hardly "floating around the internet".

AEfx

I'm not going to bother trying to quote everything, but I would like to agree with Krack and JT3000's recent comments and rebukes on AEFx's fantasies. This is just getting silly.

You're right - it is. :)

You guys are the ones with the fantasies, here, though.

I've never seen people so illogical in my life, but I guess that's what fans do when they really want something that isn't going to happen.

/shrug

Skip

You're right - it is. :)

You guys are the ones with the fantasies, here, though.

I've never seen people so illogical in my life, but I guess that's what fans do when they really want something that isn't going to happen.

/shrug

We've provided facts based on the stipulations laid out in the contract. We've also provided evidence from recent, significant capital investments in the Marvel area.

What have you brought to the table that isn't mere speculation, exactly?

AEfx

We've provided facts based on the stipulations laid out in the contract. We've also provided evidence from recent, significant capital investments in the Marvel area.

What have you brought to the table that isn't mere speculation, exactly?

I haven't debated anything about the contract. It's irrelevant to anything I have said, the facts of it are quite clear.

That said, I'm sorry, but I have seen no evidence of significant capital investments in the area. Did they suddenly announce a new 100M dollar ride that I somehow missed? That's a capital investment, not a refurb of a system in an existing ride, and a reprocess the original data.

That's the problem here - you have a small vocal group of Universal/Marvel fans who are heck bent on something that defies logic. I'm told that what I say is "just opinion" so therefore I'm wrong, which is just laughable because all the few of you fantasizing about all this are is presenting your opinions based on fantasy.

Here is all I have said :

1) If you expect to go to Marvel Superhero Island in 15, 20 years - you will likely be disappointed,

2) There won't be any more capital investments in MSI (i.e., no Iron Man ride, or any addition of significance)

Then people argue about everything under the sun, trying to make their fantasy real. I apologize, but I don't have time to teach a class on Digital film post-production, how Universal having a Disney-owned property in their parks is far different than, say, a Warners or Paramount property, or any of the other many things people are pulling out to desperately cling to the Universal/Marvel connection to try to deny the reality of the situation.

I could be completely wrong. We'll know as the years progress, but I'm just looking at this impartially - and I love Spiderman (the only real attraction in MSI to me) - yet with the vigor people are going on it's clear there is more than just rational thought going on here.

We'll just have to wait and see.

lazyboy97o

That's a capital investment, not a refurb of a system in an existing ride, and a reprocess the original data.
Go take another look at the comparison image released by Universal Orlando. The animation for The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man is getting more than just a reprocessing. Spider-Man is standing at a slightly different angle and the background has several differences.

EDIT: Wanted to also add that in order to include Heimlich from A Bug's Life in World of Color involved Pixar having to totally reanimate the character. While the digital files still existed, after over a decade they were no longer compatible with today's significantly more advanced computer animation tools. I would imagine there being a similar issue with the original animation for The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, which is also now over a decade old.

flavious27

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCA_Inc.

celluloid

Also to tell you how happy Universal is having Marvel, not only are they updating the entire film for Spiderman with new top of the line projections but they also just gave each main superhero walk around characters they use for Meet'n'Greets and photos entirely new sets of costumes.

flavious27

Also to tell you how happy Universal is having Marvel, not only are they updating the entire film for Spiderman with new top of the line projections but they also just gave each main superhero walk around characters they use for Meet'n'Greets and photos entirely new sets of costumes.

Well always a good thing when they keep up with the costumes, are they the only costumed characters at Uni?

Wilt Dasney

I apologize, but I don't have time to teach a class on Digital film post-production, how Universal having a Disney-owned property in their parks is far different than, say, a Warners or Paramount property

Oh come on, humor us a little. I'd like to hear this one. :)

Wilt Dasney

Here is all I have said :

1) If you expect to go to Marvel Superhero Island in 15, 20 years - you will likely be disappointed,

And conversely, I'll be surprised if 10 years from now Marvel Island exists at all.

I'm really glad to learn Marvel Island has gotten a reprieve of an extra 5-10 years. (Especially since we're now essentially on the same page!)

Those characters might not be there 20 years from now, but it seems clear Uni isn't even thinking of replacing them anytime soon if they're hyping investments in the land's flagship attraction.

celluloid

Well always a good thing when they keep up with the costumes, are they the only costumed characters at Uni?

Nah, Toon Lagoon also has all the Jay Ward and classic comic strip characters roaming about as well as Betty Boop, Popeye and Olive and tons of others. Then you also have the Suess characters and Woody Woodpecker in adventure costume theme near the front of the park.

Sorry to break a little off topic.

Disday

I'm not going to argue with Universal fans who seem to be looking for an argument. If Comcast buys the Florida Universal parks that's great, hopefully it will give Disney enough competition to where they'll start to step up to the plate and make an effort. I'm just not holding my breath on this though. Also, if the displayed "contract" is true, and it seems it was a vague and early version, it said that either party had the right to end the deal. I would think that Disney lawyers would be all over that one.:)

lazyboy97o

I'm not going to argue with Universal fans who seem to be looking for an argument. If Comcast buys the Florida Universal parks that's great, hopefully it will give Disney enough competition to where they'll start to step up to the plate and make an effort. I'm just not holding my breath on this though. Also, if the displayed "contract" is true, and it seems it was a vague and early version, it said that either party had the right to end the deal. I would think that Disney lawyers would be all over that one.:)
So you are suggesting that MCA and Marvel Entertainment violated federal law and did not file the actual contract with the Securities and Exchange Commission? Yeah, we're the one's looking for an argument.

Krack

It did?*

*Hint: That's my sarcastic way of saying "No, it didn't. I know this because I read the contract and it didn't say that."

So you are suggesting that MCA and Marvel Entertainment violated federal law and did not file the actual contract with the Securities and Exchange Commission? Yeah, we're the one's looking for an argument.

Yes, it appears that's his suggestion.

Captain Chaos

It did?*

*Hint: That's my sarcastic way of saying "No, it didn't. I know this because I read the contract and it didn't say that."

Yes, it appears that's his suggestion.

When people can't grasp facts to support their arguments, they use conspiracy theories and make stuff up...

This debate will just continue to go in circles until those who say Universal is giving up Marvel will say Universal is doing it because little green aliens visited from Planet Zenon and told Universal to do it...

Disday

(Grasping) G. "Either party may terminate the agreement upon a material breach of the other party, subject to written notice and a reasonable opportunity to cure." This can have a broad interpretation.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom