Marvel's Next Step

lazyboy97o

That was the part that stuck out the most to me, that blackstone could force a sale of the whole property.

As for as Universal licensing their name and properties to a new owner, I don't know if it will make sense to. Last year revenue increased to 1.1 billion, and they had their net income rise 125 million to just over 148 million. A new owner will have to divy up that 148 million to universal for the naming rights to the park along with the licensing to properties like Jurassic Park and the Mummy.
It makes sense in Singapore and South Korea, so why not Florida?

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that NBC Universal may well make the purchase.

flavious27

It makes sense in Singapore and South Korea, so why not Florida?

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that NBC Universal may well make the purchase.

Well this should be fun, along with the announcement on the 19th of a new attraction (potterland expansion probably).

USSK and USS were built with outside investors and owners from the beginning, though I think that the attendance estimates for both parks are far off from reality and will put a drain on the financial reports.

jt04

Well this should be fun, along with the announcement on the 19th of a new attraction (potterland expansion probably).

USSK and USS were built with outside investors and owners from the beginning, though I think that the attendance estimates for both parks are far off from reality and will put a drain on the financial reports.

I think this next announcement is just a replacement for Jimmy Neutron or whatever that attraction is called.

I think any bigger announcements will happen this fall. I predicted that is when a possible announcement would happen concerning Marvel at IOA. Of course I never saw the forced sale coming so that will likely determine future expansion.

Disney definitely seems to be in a 'wait and see' mode right now. Exciting times with real potential for great things for central Florida. :)

lebeau

From Entertainment Weekly:

Universal Parks announces new 'Despicable Me' ride, and a major face-lift for 'Spider-Man'​

We all loved the yellow, pill-shaped minions populating last summer’s Despicable Me, but what would it be like to be one?

That’s the premise of Universal Studios Orlando’s new ride based on the animated hit, which the theme park announced this morning. Due in 2012, the 3-D experience, which will replace the Jimmy Neutron ride, will plop riders into the world of professed arch villain Gru and his horde of Minions in a story that takes place after the events of the film. “First you’ll be taken into Gru’s house,” says Thierry Coup, the head of Universal Creative Studio, the team developing the ride. “And then you’ll get to see his lab, and then it will get deeper and deeper into some of the areas in that world that are just fantastic.”
“I just thought it was awesome,” says Despicable Me producer Chris Meledandri. “You are creating an immersive, visceral experience. When we make a film, yes we want our films to be immersive, but when you’re in the world of the ride… your audience is going to be in your story.”

Both Coup and Meledandri say it’s too early to confirm whether any of the film’s voice cast — Steve Carell as Gru, Miranda Cosgrove as one of his adopted daughters Margo, Russell Brand as his elderly gadget guru Dr. Nefario — will participate in the ride itself, but Meledandri does note one of the film’s directors, Pierre Coffin, has been “taking a point position” in developing the story and the ride itself.

Meanwhile, one of Universal Orlando’s most popular rides, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, is getting a big-time makeover due to debut in 2012: All the CG animation is being redone and updated to cutting-edge 4K high definition. “It’s going to feel like an entirely new experience,” says Coup, “[even] if you’ve been to this attraction 100 times before.” The story itself will remain separate from any of the Sony Pictures Spidey feature films, or the infamous Broadway musical. Aw. So no singing, then? “Who knows!” chuckles Coup. We’re pretty sure he’s kidding.

Choodles

Bigger news is the extensive Spidey effects upgrade they are telling Disney Marvel Island isn't going anywhere for the next Decade!

lebeau

I'm interested to see how much discussion Universal had to have with Disney to make these changes to Spiderman.

I'm not sure they would have needed to discuss anything with Disney. From my understanding, they are well within their rights to make any upgrades they see fit.

Bigger news is the extensive Spidey effects upgrade they are telling Disney Marvel Island isn't going anywhere for the next Decade!

Exactly.

wizards8507

I'm not sure they would have needed to discuss anything with Disney. From my understanding, they are well within their rights to make any upgrades they see fit.

That's correct. If they were going to use MORE Spider Man material, then they'd probably have to negotiate new licensing fees, but it seems that they're just updating and modifying a bit, which should be well within the bounds of the existing contract.

Since1976

That's correct. If they were going to use MORE Spider Man material, then they'd probably have to negotiate new licensing fees, but it seems that they're just updating and modifying a bit, which should be well within the bounds of the existing contract.

I'm a little disheartened by this. A similar reasoning is behind Sony's re-making Spider-Man so soon after the previous film series -- to renew the rights and not have to give them back to Marvel Studios (who seems to be on a roll lately producing films related to The Avengers comic book franchise).

I suppose this latest development means that, for the foreseeable future, we'll have to travel to Anaheim, Tokyo, Paris, Shanghai, or Hong Kong to experience Disney/Marvel attractions. Still waiting for any official confirmation that such things are in the works!

Krack

My understanding (after reading the contract) is that they wouldn't even have to pay more to Disney if they added additional Spider Man material - they can pretty much do whatever they want on Marvel Super Hero island (as long as it doesn't materially misrepresent one of Marvel's characters). I'm kind of surprised they haven't added an Iron Man attraction in order to take advantage of the new popularity of the character.

wizards8507

I suppose this latest development means that, for the foreseeable future, we'll have to travel to Anaheim, Tokyo, Paris, Shanghai, or Hong Kong to experience Disney/Marvel attractions. Still waiting for any official confirmation that such things are in the works!

I wouldn't expect any Marvel properties in the World anytime soon. You can bet that Disney absolutely loves having rights to sneak a peak at Universal's financial information, which is one of the perks of owning the Marvel contract. That information might be more valuable than any new Marvel attractions in Orlando.

lazyboy97o

My understanding (after reading the contract) is that they wouldn't even have to pay more to Disney if they added additional Spider Man material - they can pretty much do whatever they want on Marvel Super Hero island (as long as it doesn't materially misrepresent one of Marvel's characters). I'm kind of surprised they haven't added an Iron Man attraction in order to take advantage of the new popularity of the character.
New additions would still require Marvel's approval, but Disney would probably have a hard time saying "no" if the character was being well represented as it would be clear that the "no" is trying to hinder Universal's exclusive rights to the characters and not to protect the character.

I wouldn't expect any Marvel properties in the World anytime soon. You can bet that Disney absolutely loves having rights to sneak a peak at Universal's financial information, which is one of the perks of owning the Marvel contract. That information might be more valuable than any new Marvel attractions in Orlando.
This issue was already resolved when the government approved the purchase. Those numbers are not allowed anywhere near Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. They can only be used to verify that Universal is paying what it owes and anything else would be grounds for Universal to take legal action against Disney.

lebeau

Yep, probably the biggest obstacle in the way of Uni expanding Marvel Superhero Island is that expanding the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a larger priority plus adding things to US to balance the parks out.

misterID

I seriously don't see any Marvel attraction being used in any American Disney park for a long, long time.

Disney is much more interested in the movies and merchandise than building Marvel attractions.

RSoxNo1

The contracts seem to be highly favorable to Universal, but I assume Disney/Marvel would have at least some oversight of any material changes to th attraction. The only thing would be if they already have language in the contract that allows for upgrades to the projection system

lebeau

The contracts seem to be highly favorable to Universal, but I assume Disney/Marvel would have at least some oversight of any material changes to th attraction. The only thing would be if they already have language in the contract that allows for upgrades to the projection system

My hazy recollection from previous discussion was that these kinds of upgrades were written into the deal. As you say, it was heavily slanted in Uni's favor.

Because, what did Marvel care about theme park rights? They were just trying to generate funds any way they could to keep their heads above water in those days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom