Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Rich T

...Really?

So we're really getting a Midway Mania clone for our debut Spider-Man WDI attraction?
spideyshrug.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The thought has crossed my mind that this might be a blessing in-disguise.

If this Spider-Man shooter attraction really does come true, this gives them even more reason to tear out Buzz when TL finally gets redone.

As for the attraction itself, one has to imagine this isn't going to be a clone of anything else. Not TSMM, not Buzz, not even the other shooters from the other Marvel Lands around the globe. Sure it maybe an interactive shooter, but it'll have its own unique experience.

Just like someone said before, not everything has to be a bar raising E-Ticket. That will likely come with the coaster (if it ever gets 100% green lit and out of limbo).

Rich T

The Amazing Spider-Man ride opened eighteen years ago and was based on Disney concept for **** Tracy's Crime Stoppers ride. Why is Disney just trying to catch up now? Heck, I can ride that kind of ride at Magic Mountain now. (Justice League Battle for Metropolis) TSMM and Buzz are totally outdated. Those kind of rides has been done better elsewhere.
I'm going to keep defending TSMM. It is not outdated, and is still one of the best game/rides in existence. It's not just riding through scenes and shooting at figures/linear presentations like on Buzz or Justice League or Iron Reef. The games you encounter on TSMM are generated in real time, react instantly and change the presentation according to which targets are being struck by all players on that screen. The ride is insanely fast-paced and infinitely replayable/rerideable. It is unlike any other shooter ride, except maybe that infested Chocolate Factory adventure at Phantasialand. TSMM's accuracy is spot-on and the sense of actually shooting projectiles into a real space is phenomenal. It just feels perfect!

But...my love for TSMM aside...I agree the second-to-last thing DCA needs is another shooter ride. The *very* last thing DCA needs is another carny spinner at Pixar Pier.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I'm going to keep defending TSMM. It is not outdated, and is still one of the best game/rides in existence. It's not just riding through scenes and shooting at figures/linear presentations like on Buzz or Justice League or Iron Reef. The games you encounter on TSMM are generated in real time, react instantly and change the presentation according to which targets are being struck by all players on that screen. The ride is insanely fast-paced and infinitely replayable/rerideable. It is unlike any other shooter ride, except maybe that infested Chocolate Factory adventure at Phantasialand. TSMM's accuracy is spot-on and the sense of actually shooting projectiles into a real space is phenomenal. It just feels perfect!

But...my love for TSMM aside...I agree the second-to-last thing DCA needs is another shooter ride. The *very* last thing DCA needs is another carny spinner at Pixar Pier.

TSMM is a fun, repeatable ride. It’s just that the park doesn’t need two of them. So they ll really have to up the ante with Spidey.

With that said, the screens on TSMM have been so dark for so long that it’s not worth the wait or wasting an FP for me. You’d think that they would change the bulbs/ adjust the brightness or whatever have they have to do being that screens are the primary focus of the attraction.

Anyway it’s interesting to me that Disneyland has more adventures in two lands (Adventureland/ NOS) than a park with Adventure in its name. DCA needs a long boat ride or just any dark ride that makes you feel like you went on a journey. Pan 2.0 (insert IP) would be cool too.

Last edited:

mickEblu

So a 3-D shooter, a brewery, and a meet and greet? Yep, this just might be as good as Pixar Pier.

It’ll be a little better than IP iconography on flat walls as someone here the other day so beautifully said but not by a whole lot. At least when it comes to thematic design/ world building. The rides will be better for the mere fact they re not repurposed spinners and you go inside buildings. Lol

Phroobar

TSMM is a ride that has no business being a ride. You are taken from screen to screen when every game can be played on one screen instead. Disney could have easily put in couches and have us shoot targets on one screen. The capacity would have been higher. The ride takes you nowhere except to see more screens and cardboard flats. There is no point to the movement and it is jarring and sudden. They could have easily put in a few AA characters as we move from screen to screen to cheer us on. Physical props could have been nice. Right now the movement is pointless and the ride feels cheap.

The graphics aren't very good anymore. An average PS3 game can do better. My PS4 4K games look a lot better and 3D also makes things look dark and blurry for some people. The pulling of the string hurts after a few minutes and it would have been better to use hand gestures like Legoland's Ninjago ride does.

In TSMM nothing goes wrong. There is no sense of danger like in most rides. Something going wrong gives us story arc and helps the rider feel invested. Why can't Sid show up and do something bad with the toys? We could help stop him. Finally there is no sense of competition with other players. Men in Black is cool because you can shoot at other riders and send them spinning. This messes with their score. Most players on TSMM have no clue they can cooperate to find easter eggs and get a higher score.

So with Toy Story Midway Mania, what we have is a ride that has no business being a ride. It moves you between multiple screens that could just as easily have been shown on one screen placed in front players on a super comfy sofa. There is no interaction between players. There is no feeling of team work and there is no element of competition between players other than final the score. While traveling between screens there is a nothing to look other than the occasional glimpses of other cars moving between other sets of screens in the dark. All this happens as nothing goes horribly wrong. It's like sitting in a stroller being pushed through Best Buy.

TP2000

Is it me, or is the "Breaking News!" blog post from that other website just a rehash of every strong rumor posted on boards like this, plus a zoomed in look at the artwork already released by Disney that extrapolates out what each thing could be?

There wasn't any real news here, just a rehash of rumors and previously released artwork.

They didn't even mention Black Panther, which figures prominently on the DCA poster. I dunno gang, but I'm not that impressed with the info this guy regurgitated up. Although I suppose it's nice to have a summary of the various insider sources and another look at that artwork. :cool:

Rich T

TSMM is a ride that has no business being a ride. You are taken from screen to screen when every game can be played on one screen instead. Disney could have easily put in couches and have us shoot targets on one screen. The through put would have been higher. The ride takes you nowhere except to see more screens and cardboard flats. There is no point to the movement and it is jarring and sudden. They could have easily put in a few AA characters as we move from screen to screen to cheer us on. Physical props could have been nice. Right now the movement is pointless and the ride feels cheap.

The graphics aren't very good anymore. An average PS3 game can do better. My PS4 4K games look a lot better and 3D also makes things look blurry for some people. The pulling of the string hurts after a few minutes and it would have been better to use hand gestures like Legoland's Ninjago ride does.

In TSMM nothing goes wrong. There is no sense of danger like in most rides. Something going wrong gives us story arc and helps the rider feel invested. Why can't Sid show up and do something bad with the toys? We could help stop him. Finally there is no sense of competition with other players. Men in Black is cool because you can shoot at other riders and send them spinning. This messes with their score. Most players on TSMM have no clue they can cooperate to find easter eggs and get a higher score.

So with Toy Story Midway Mania, what we have is a ride that has no business being a ride. It moves you between multiple screens that could just as easily have been shown on one screen placed in front players on a super comfy sofa. There is no interaction between players. There is no feeling of team work and there is no element of competition between players other than final the score. While traveling between screens there is a nothing to look other than the occasional glimpses of other cars moving between other sets of screens in the dark. All this happens as nothing goes horribly wrong. It's like sitting in a stroller being pushed through Best Buy.
I respect your opinions, but I react just the opposite on almost every point:
-The movement on TSMM adds more fun to the whole experience. What you find jarring and pointless I (and my whole family) find laugh-inducing and... gotta say it again... FUN!
-AA figures: Woulda been nice. It's not a deal-breaker for me.
-Graphics: The graphics are fine. The gameplay is perfect. Mr. Toad doesn't need AA's, and TSMM doesn't need "better" graphics.
-No sense of Danger: Not every ride needs a storyline or a threat. TSMM is pure lighthearted fun. It's about play. For this particular attraction, that's enough.
- No sense of Competition? What can I say--Ride with my group sometime: We are quite vocal and get *very* into the game. :)
- Like sitting in a stroller in Best Buy? That's an awesome burn, but c'mon. Some people think PoC is just a flume ride.
- Pulling the string hurts after a bit: So does spinning a teacup wheel. Sometimes a rider just has to grit their teeth and cowboy up!!! :D Sometimes fun takes a toll! (But everyone has their limit and I personally don't like being beaten up by the new bobsleds).

I love, love LOVE TSMM. But I love it as a single, unique attraction. I don't want *another* TSMM.

THE Monorail Lime

So a 3-D shooter, a brewery, and a meet and greet? Yep, this just might be as good as Pixar Pier.
Oh my Gosh, can we just stop complaining all the time? Is that all we do now is say “I hate ________” or “They should have never removed ________” ? We have ONLY heard this From 1 source, (although i do trust them). WE at GETTING a Entirely NEW ride not cheap rethemes, so maybe you should shut your mouths, about bad it is until It actually opens....

mickEblu

Is it me, or is the "Breaking News!" blog post from that other website just a rehash of every strong rumor posted on boards like this, plus a zoomed in look at the artwork already released by Disney that extrapolates out what each thing could be?

There wasn't any real news here, just a rehash of rumors and previously released artwork.

They didn't even mention Black Panther, which figures prominently on the DCA poster. I dunno gang, but I'm not that impressed with the info this guy regurgitated up. Although I suppose it's nice to have a summary of the various insider sources and another look at that artwork. :cool:

Well a few things are new. The “confirmation” that the ride going into ITTBAB is Spider-Man and is a shooter. Some details of how the land will be configured and the tissue box restrooms being used for the Spiderman Q. The Doctor Strange show and the brewery being themed to Ant-man. Disappointing? Yes. Earth shattering? No, but new.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom