Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Mike S

You're wasting your digital breath. These people are ready to hate all this stuff before it even exists.
From what we’ve seen of what Disney has already done with Marvel in the parks I think it’s fine if some people aren’t willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on future builds. Everything they’ve done so far has been phoned in. I’ll believe the Avengers ride is amazing when we actually see something and if it actually looks amazing.

Mac Tonight

I love Star Wars but, at least until RotR opens, it seems like they missed the mark.

Not sure why everyone’s talking about an Avengers coaster? What evidence is there we’re getting one?
I should clarify, I don’t dislike Star Wars, I’m just not a fanatic like some. When it comes to the land, I really have ask myself what’s gonna draw me in.
MF? No, I have no desire to ride another simulator. Plus, they make me queasy.
Cantina? No. Seems too much hype for not much substance.
Lightsaber build? No. I can think of infinite better ways to spend $200.
Droid Depot? No. See above.

Rise of the Resistance is the only thing that has my interest, but knowing I’ll have to face off with the universe’s least interesting villain in Kylo Ren (personal opinion), I’m already tempering my expectations.

TROR

I should clarify, I don’t dislike Star Wars, I’m just not a fanatic like some. When it comes to the land, I really have ask myself what’s gonna draw me in.
MF? No, I have no desire to ride another simulator. Plus, they make me queasy.
Cantina? No. Seems too much hype for not much substance.
Lightsaber build? No. I can think of infinite better ways to spend $200.
Droid Depot? No. See above.

Rise of the Resistance is the only thing that has my interest, but knowing I’ll have to face off with the universe’s least interesting villain in Kylo Ren (personal opinion), I’m already tempering my expectations.
I completely agree. The only thing that’s keeping it afloat for me is just the visual quality of the land. But I don’t think Marvel land will have that or anything I enjoy about the movies which is why I think it’ll be bad.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I completely agree. The only thing that’s keeping it afloat for me is just the visual quality of the land. But I don’t think Marvel land will have that or anything I enjoy about the movies which is why I think it’ll be bad.
Its ok, in a couple years the MCU will be on life support according to you now that End Game is over. So we'll be getting a new overlay to the land shortly after that. So don't worry you'll have something to look forward to.... ;):p😂

TROR

Its ok, in a couple years the MCU will be on life support according to you now that End Game is over. So we'll be getting a new overlay to the land shortly after that. So don't worry you'll have something to look forward to.... ;):p😂
Truth. Galaxy’s Edge should’ve been a Frontierland expansion and Marvel land should’ve been a Grizzly Peak expansion. Even the permits agree!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Truth. Galaxy’s Edge should’ve been a Frontierland expansion and Marvel land should’ve been a Grizzly Peak expansion. Even the permits agree!
Objection, facts not in evidence. The Marvel project is only called Golden State because Bug's Land sat on what was once part of the Golden State section of the park. They could have just as easily called it Bountiful Valley Farm Expansion.

PymParty

I believe that what Disney missed with Galaxy's Edge was to use the emotional attachment that people have to the Star Wars movies. This is where WWoHP excelled : it made guests enter the exact locations of the movies they love.
By choosing to build a new location (Batuu) that guests didn't know, there was no emotion when coming in the land (indeed, they don't know it). This is why, in every reviews I saw, people mostly talk about the emotions felt when seeing the MF / building a lightsaber / character appearances. With no surprises, these are the elements that guests know directly from the movies.
I remember the first time I entered Hogsmeade and saw Hogwarts : I was so emotional stepping somewhere always dreamt on going but never thought I could, and this continued trough the entire land.
If WDI manages to tie Marvel land correctly to the characters / objects / locations of the MCU, I have no doubt this land will be a success, even with unsurprising attractions.

On the other hand, what still makes GE a great land is the astonishing attention to detail and the immersion, and this is what Marvel will miss (a huge alien fortress next to an insect brewery and an old warehouse ??!!?!). Looking at the plans for Marvel, there seems to be very little immersion.

If they fail to create emotional attachment to the land, I think the land will be a dud.

britain

I believe that what Disney missed with Galaxy's Edge was to use the emotional attachment that people have to the Star Wars movies. This is where WWoHP excelled : it made guests enter the exact locations of the movies they love.
By choosing to build a new location (Batuu) that guests didn't know, there was no emotion when coming in the land (indeed, they don't know it). This is why, in every reviews I saw, people mostly talk about the emotions felt when seeing the MF / building a lightsaber / character appearances. With no surprises, these are the elements that guests know directly from the movies.
I remember the first time I entered Hogsmeade and saw Hogwarts : I was so emotional stepping somewhere always dreamt on going but never thought I could, and this continued trough the entire land.
If WDI manages to tie Marvel land correctly to the characters / objects / locations of the MCU, I have no doubt this land will be a success, even with unsurprising attractions.

On the other hand, what still makes GE a great land is the astonishing attention to detail and the immersion, and this is what Marvel will miss (a huge alien fortress next to an insect brewery and an old warehouse ??!!?!). Looking at the plans for Marvel, there seems to be very little immersion.

If they fail to create emotional attachment to the land, I think the land will be a dud.

Since I can't say it any better than how I said it before:

"Okay! Welcome to our 5th WDW park / 3rd DL park Star Wars planning session! First I say, let's build a land based on Hoth!"

"Well, concrete painted as snow is always amusing at theme parks, but it's never convincing. You can't hide the fact that you're actually in a warm climate."

"Okay, let's build a huge, climate-controlled show building for the Hoth land!"

"Fine, how cold should it be?"

"Super cold! I want to see foggy breath!"

"Like, uncomfortably for anyone who got a little wet on some flume attraction elsewhere?"

"Uh, yes..."

"Even if we adjust how cold is authentically cold, you're going to see guests walking around in tank tops, shorts and sandals. It's one thing to see earthly T-shirts in a Star Wars land, it's another to see guests dressed for summertime fun in the middle of a hostile ice planet."

"Eh..."

"Besides, there isn't supposed to be any much life on that iceberg. So all there would be to recreate is the rebel base. I mean the abandoned and destroyed rebel base. Or are we going to hop around time periods and build a Millennium Falcon in each of the lands?"

"Well not the prequel-based lands."

"Uh huh."

"Well, let's build a land based on Endor! That will be easily recreated in both the California and Florida climates!"

"Yes it will - what part of Endor do we build?"

"The Ewok village of course..."

"Of course... perfect place for a Redwood Creek challenge trail clone. Hmm, well good for Florida. A little duplicative for California. But fine."

"...And the imperial base."

"Right, just like Endor Vendors used to be before it was changed to Tattooine Traders. Next?"

"Um, where are some prequel locations... Naboo, baby! Let's build Naboo!"

"Right... so let's rebuild a lot of the locations that actually exist in Italy where George shot a lot of Naboo. Fans sure loved how Star Warsy that all felt in the films - oh wait a minute, they didn't."

"Well you don't need to get snippy about it. There's also the underwater realms of Naboo. That's very otherworldly. We could build a huge show building and put lots of glass windows wrapping around the guests, making it look like they are inside the ornate gungan bubbles."

"Welp - good luck justifying a hefty budget for what most people will see as 'Jar Jar Land'."

"Coruscant, we could build Coruscant!"

"Any particular buildings in Coruscant?"

"Sure! You got your Jedi Temple..."

"The size of an Egyptian pyramid."

"Your Senate building..."

"The size of a football stadium."

"Fine, those can be forced perspective recreations behind other smaller buildings."

"Like what?"

"I don't know, whatever was in the films."

"So like, generic Tomorrowlandy skyscrapers?"

"Um, yes."

"With a 50's diner and a sports bar?"

"Right."

"And continuous criss-crossing speeder traffic in the sky. How are we going to do that again?"

"Well we could either put it all in a showbuilding..."

"Again?"

"Or we could say that the traffic is very light today. Oh! Maybe it's a holiday! Maybe it's Life Day!"

"Moving on, what other lands?"

"Mustafar!"

Silence.

"You know! That volcanic place where Vader was born!"

"Look, I love volcanos as much as the next theme park fan. But that planet is always oozing with lava. Not only would that be a challenge to pull off effectively, it's narratively Lucas' version of hell itself. Smokey, ashy air, it's not a place we'd want to dedicate a full land to."

"sigh... fine."

"Maybe a brief virtual experience or something, but not a whole land."

"How about a Death Star?"

"Well, again, like we were discussing about Coruscant, scale is going to be a challenge here. You could do a 'Top half of the Death Star out there looming over the trees' sort of thing."

"Yeah but I mean put me on a Death Star."

"Ok, and... do some shopping and eating?"

"Uh, I was thinking more like get arrested, or get in a battle? And then have to escape?"

"Good ideas there. Let's write those down and save them."

"But the centerpiece land of the whole park, the planet most ripe for potential rides and attractions is... Tattooine of course! You gotta let me saddle up at the Mos Esley Cantina and watch a Bith band! Smugglers, rebels, stormtroopers, they all come to Tattooine!"

"Yes yes, now you're talking! First 'Escape from the Death Star' and now this, you are on a roll buddy!"

"Gracias!"

"Any trees there on Tattooine?"

"No, why?"

"It's just that trees help with shade and are naturally cooling. Any vegetation at all?"

"No, it's a desolate desert planet."

"Ok, so it looks like we're talking a lot of orange rockwork."

"No problem, we just did that for Carsland!"

"Uh yeah, we just did that for Carsland! And that was already a little duplicative of Frontierland's southwest landscape."

"Fine, we'll cut that part out of DL's Star Wars park. It will be unique for Florida."

"So no Tattooine (the land you said was most ripe with potential for rides and experiences) for Disneyland. Check. So that's lots of concrete with no natural cooling... we'll have to hit guests with AC whenever we can. Maybe we can say those moister vaporators spew out cool air too."

"Don't worry about it. The alley ways of Tattooine villages and its rocky wilderness... It's so atmospheric... plenty of experiential possibilities!"

"Sure, and not a piece of refreshing greenery or a trickle of soothing water in sight."

"Well you could go to Degobah land for that stuff."

"Yes, the very Animal Kingdom-like Degobah land. Except no structures to house anything. Just all jungle all the time."

"Um... yeah. You know, I'm starting to realize that most of these planets are just climates found on earth pushed to an uncomfortable extreme, or a style of city found on earth pushed to an easy-to-multiply-with-special-effects-hard-to-build-in-a-theme-park scale."

"Very true."

"You sure we can't just build a whole Tattooine land but include trees and water and call it something else?"

Writes it down.

"Noted."

Mike S

Since I can't say it any better than how I said it before:

"Okay! Welcome to our 5th WDW park / 3rd DL park Star Wars planning session! First I say, let's build a land based on Hoth!"

"Well, concrete painted as snow is always amusing at theme parks, but it's never convincing. You can't hide the fact that you're actually in a warm climate."

"Okay, let's build a huge, climate-controlled show building for the Hoth land!"

"Fine, how cold should it be?"

"Super cold! I want to see foggy breath!"

"Like, uncomfortably for anyone who got a little wet on some flume attraction elsewhere?"

"Uh, yes..."

"Even if we adjust how cold is authentically cold, you're going to see guests walking around in tank tops, shorts and sandals. It's one thing to see earthly T-shirts in a Star Wars land, it's another to see guests dressed for summertime fun in the middle of a hostile ice planet."

"Eh..."

"Besides, there isn't supposed to be any much life on that iceberg. So all there would be to recreate is the rebel base. I mean the abandoned and destroyed rebel base. Or are we going to hop around time periods and build a Millennium Falcon in each of the lands?"

"Well not the prequel-based lands."

"Uh huh."

"Well, let's build a land based on Endor! That will be easily recreated in both the California and Florida climates!"

"Yes it will - what part of Endor do we build?"

"The Ewok village of course..."

"Of course... perfect place for a Redwood Creek challenge trail clone. Hmm, well good for Florida. A little duplicative for California. But fine."

"...And the imperial base."

"Right, just like Endor Vendors used to be before it was changed to Tattooine Traders. Next?"

"Um, where are some prequel locations... Naboo, baby! Let's build Naboo!"

"Right... so let's rebuild a lot of the locations that actually exist in Italy where George shot a lot of Naboo. Fans sure loved how Star Warsy that all felt in the films - oh wait a minute, they didn't."

"Well you don't need to get snippy about it. There's also the underwater realms of Naboo. That's very otherworldly. We could build a huge show building and put lots of glass windows wrapping around the guests, making it look like they are inside the ornate gungan bubbles."

"Welp - good luck justifying a hefty budget for what most people will see as 'Jar Jar Land'."

"Coruscant, we could build Coruscant!"

"Any particular buildings in Coruscant?"

"Sure! You got your Jedi Temple..."

"The size of an Egyptian pyramid."

"Your Senate building..."

"The size of a football stadium."

"Fine, those can be forced perspective recreations behind other smaller buildings."

"Like what?"

"I don't know, whatever was in the films."

"So like, generic Tomorrowlandy skyscrapers?"

"Um, yes."

"With a 50's diner and a sports bar?"

"Right."

"And continuous criss-crossing speeder traffic in the sky. How are we going to do that again?"

"Well we could either put it all in a showbuilding..."

"Again?"

"Or we could say that the traffic is very light today. Oh! Maybe it's a holiday! Maybe it's Life Day!"

"Moving on, what other lands?"

"Mustafar!"

Silence.

"You know! That volcanic place where Vader was born!"

"Look, I love volcanos as much as the next theme park fan. But that planet is always oozing with lava. Not only would that be a challenge to pull off effectively, it's narratively Lucas' version of hell itself. Smokey, ashy air, it's not a place we'd want to dedicate a full land to."

"sigh... fine."

"Maybe a brief virtual experience or something, but not a whole land."

"How about a Death Star?"

"Well, again, like we were discussing about Coruscant, scale is going to be a challenge here. You could do a 'Top half of the Death Star out there looming over the trees' sort of thing."

"Yeah but I mean put me on a Death Star."

"Ok, and... do some shopping and eating?"

"Uh, I was thinking more like get arrested, or get in a battle? And then have to escape?"

"Good ideas there. Let's write those down and save them."

"But the centerpiece land of the whole park, the planet most ripe for potential rides and attractions is... Tattooine of course! You gotta let me saddle up at the Mos Esley Cantina and watch a Bith band! Smugglers, rebels, stormtroopers, they all come to Tattooine!"

"Yes yes, now you're talking! First 'Escape from the Death Star' and now this, you are on a roll buddy!"

"Gracias!"

"Any trees there on Tattooine?"

"No, why?"

"It's just that trees help with shade and are naturally cooling. Any vegetation at all?"

"No, it's a desolate desert planet."

"Ok, so it looks like we're talking a lot of orange rockwork."

"No problem, we just did that for Carsland!"

"Uh yeah, we just did that for Carsland! And that was already a little duplicative of Frontierland's southwest landscape."

"Fine, we'll cut that part out of DL's Star Wars park. It will be unique for Florida."

"So no Tattooine (the land you said was most ripe with potential for rides and experiences) for Disneyland. Check. So that's lots of concrete with no natural cooling... we'll have to hit guests with AC whenever we can. Maybe we can say those moister vaporators spew out cool air too."

"Don't worry about it. The alley ways of Tattooine villages and its rocky wilderness... It's so atmospheric... plenty of experiential possibilities!"

"Sure, and not a piece of refreshing greenery or a trickle of soothing water in sight."

"Well you could go to Degobah land for that stuff."

"Yes, the very Animal Kingdom-like Degobah land. Except no structures to house anything. Just all jungle all the time."

"Um... yeah. You know, I'm starting to realize that most of these planets are just climates found on earth pushed to an uncomfortable extreme, or a style of city found on earth pushed to an easy-to-multiply-with-special-effects-hard-to-build-in-a-theme-park scale."

"Very true."

"You sure we can't just build a whole Tattooine land but include trees and water and call it something else?"

Writes it down.

"Noted."
Gold star 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom