Marvel Characters eventually at the Parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just808

Original Poster
With Disney agreeing to acquire Marvel and it's 5,000 characters, do you think these characters will be showing up at any of the parks (most likely Hollywood Studios) if/when the deal is approved?

Opinions/Thoughts please

fosse76

It depends. Universal has, at minimum, a license to use Marvel characters in its parks. Depending on the agreement, it may prevent Disney from using Marvel characters in the parks.

Universal might also actually OWN the theme park rights outright, meaning that Disney would have to negotiate with Universal to use the characters in their own parks. It's tricky, I assume once the deal actually is completed more details will be released, but I wouldn't expect to see them at a Disney park anytime soon.

SirGoofy

I can't wait to meet Spidey, Cap, Iron Man, and the X-Men.

Seriously, a LMA retheme needs to happen. Superhero Stunt Show!

And a LCI Hulk would be amazing.

WDWFigment

It depends. Universal has, at minimum, a license to use Marvel characters in its parks. Depending on the agreement, it may prevent Disney from using Marvel characters in the parks.

Universal might also actually OWN the theme park rights outright, meaning that Disney would have to negotiate with Universal to use the characters in their own parks. It's tricky, I assume once the deal actually is completed more details will be released, but I wouldn't expect to see them at a Disney park anytime soon.

I would agree this is likely the case, which would create a couple of options for Disney: 1) heavily brand the Marvel characters as "Disney" which makes Universal hesitant to want to continue using them and thus likely to sell back the rights to Disney, or; 2) restructure the deal with Universal to get more money in exchange for Disney 'walling off' the Marvel arm of the company to prevent people from associating Marvel characters with Disney.

My bets are that #2 is more likely to happen than #1. I think this is just a revenue cow for Disney, honestly. I would be surprised to see much in the Disney parks in the way of Marvel--at least the US Disney Parks (or the Florida Disney Park, specifically) that are in close proximity to Universal Parks. Even still, I think this puts the screws to Universal.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Unless of course Disney buy Universals theme parks and uses them like Touchstone to cater for a market outwith the normal Disney target. :drevil:

DonaldD1987

I dont know how I feel about them being brought into the park... in my opinion, i feel like it doesn't fit with the disney theme. It wouldn't feel right if I saw spiderman walking around DHS or MK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom