Trip Report March 2019 trip

Trip was March 22- 30, just me and the boyfriend. Our last trip to Disney was in 2011, and we did a day at Universal in 2016. This time around we decided to do 5 days at Disney and then spend the rest of our vacation with some friends who now live outside Tampa.

I'll start with our accomodations. A friend of ours let us use his townhouse at Regal Palms in Davenport. I usually prefer to stay onsite, but the "friends and family" rate he charged us was ...well, we stayed at his townhouse. It's a lovely resort, with a lot of amenities -- pool, waterslide, lazy river, hot tub, fitness center, spa and restaurant. You can walk to a Publix supermarket and a CVS drugstore. It never took more than 20 minutes to drive to WDW. the townhouse can comfortably accomodate 8 people, far more space than we needed, but I loved the convenience of a full kitchen and washer/dryer.

Seems to me that each time I go to Disney, there is less and less room for spontaneity. Fastpass+ means I'm actually making appointments to ride 30 days before I set foot in the park. And with more rides using Fastpass, it seems that the standby lines are much longer than they used to be. I never had to wait more than 15-20 minutes for any ride when I had a Fastpass, but the waits for other rides, especially in the Magic Kingdom -- we actually had to get off the line for Jungle Cruise because we didn't want to miss our Fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain. It felt like we were able to see and do a lot more before Fastpass +

But I did like our Magic Bands. Considering how often we had to scan in, the $15 that I paid for the band was well worth the investment.

Weather was good, for the most part. A little chilly at night and early morning, but I brought a lightweight sweatshirt and I was fine. We had rain one morning, but it stpped before lunchtime, though the rest of that day was colder than normal.

We were there during the Flower and Garden Show, so we got to see a lot of interesting topiary in EPCOT.

So...our first day was in EPCOT. We rode Spaceship Earth (great for two history geeks like us), Mission:Space (green of course -- I'm too chicken to ride orange, and my boyfriend got sick on orange last trip), Journey Into Imagination (really love Figment, but Eric Idle doesn't look like that anymore...) , Soarin' , Living with the Land, the Seas. The boat ride in Mexico is still cute. Frozen is cute, too, but I kind of miss the trolls in Norway. (My daughrers, in their 20's, absolutely love the new ride.)

Test Track....in the morning we got to design our car, and were about to board the ride when the ride went down. We came back in the afternoon and we were able to ride, but our computer terminal froze and we were not able to design a car. Oh, and guess who needs to remember a scrunchie when she rides? Could not see my face in our ride photo, all you can see is my hair...

We had lunch at Nine Dragons. I thought the menu was very limited but the food and service were excellent. Dinner was at Marrakesh; I loved the musician and the dancer, and my chicken coucous was very tasty.

Our second day was spent at Animal Kingdom. We arrived well before the park opened and ran to Pandora at rope drop. Managed to get on flights of Passage fairly quickly, though...well, I couldn't ride it because the safety restraints wouldn't latch. Boyfriend says it's the best simulator at disney and bewtter than Spiderman or Forbidden Journey at Universsal. We had a Fastpass for Na'vi River, which was amazing. Legend of the Lion King was fun, as aways.

Kilimanjaro Safari ... I'm glad they took out the "story" about rescuing theelephant form the poachers, but...well, you ride through the safarai way too fast to really enjoy viewing the animals. And I'm a New Yorker, spoiled by the Bronx Zoo...

Loved Dinosaur, It's Tough To Be A Bug and Expedition Everest. Kali River Rapids was fun, but ...since they stopped doing the special effects, not only is the ride at Universal better, but the version at my local Six Flags is better.

River of Light .... I know they can't do fireworks here, because of the animals, bu tthe show was...lacking something. The music is pretty, the lights are pretty, the water screen projections are pretty...but nothing spectacular.

We had lunch at Pizzafari (pretty standard) and dinner at the Rainforest Cafe (we loved the coconut shrimp).

to be continued...

Last edited:

Songbird76

This confused me for a moment as I was like "Wait....did someone hack into my account and write a TR as me??" Then I realized you don't have the 76 on the end, so it's not my account. You're the first person I've heard who has not been able to ride FoP....I'm a bit worried about that myself. I guess I'll see in July.

songbird

Original Poster
Next up was the Magic Kingdom. We had a Fastpass for Space Mountain first thing in the morning, but the ride was down.

So we started with Carrousel of Progress. This ride has a lot of nostalgia for two New Yorkers who actually remember the 1964 World's Fair. It's a "must-do" for us, but yes, I will admit that even the updated ending seems...dated.

Then we rode the Peoplemover and got to see see Space Mountain with the lights on. Rode buzz Lightyear, then walked over to Fantasyland.

I admit to being disappointed by Seven Dwarfs. I think I would have preferred a conventional dark ride, I wanted to see more scenes.

Then it was back to Space Mountain. Boyfriend rode this alone, I had a panic attack and didn't ride. funny, I've been on that ride before, many times, but this time around....

Lunch was a hot dog, nothing fancy.

We spent the rest of the afternood in Frontierland and Adventureland. Big Thnder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Carribean. (In 2011 we got stuck on Pirates for 20 minutes during a power outage, right where you hear "dead men tell no tales", but this trip we had no problems.)

This was the day we had to get off the line for Jungle Cruise, but we did get a taste of the humor...dinner was at Jungle Navigation Co. LTD. Skipper Canteen. The menu is a bit...edgy...but the food is excellent. Our server recommended that I ge the Thai noodles with the sauce on the side; the sauce was very spicy, so I'm glad I followed her recommendation.

After dinner we rode Haunted Mansion, and...no hitchhiking ghost! turns out that the week after our trip Disney started taking a ride photo on Haunted Mansion, and now the ghost hitches a ride in your photo instea dof your Doombuggy.

Ended our night with fireworks, of course. I like the new show.

Though I did not enjoy having my foot run over by a stroller on my way to the monorail.

To be continued...

songbird

Original Poster
that picture, as you may have guessed, is from our dinner at Hollywood & Vine. Yes, I have to have at least one character meal, and that was our night at Hollywood Studios.

We started the day on Tower of Terror, and then rode Rock 'N' Roller Coaster. the preshow on the coaster is majorly in need of an update -- Steven Tyler doesn't look like that anymore. Mupets 3D was fun, as always, but sadly, the technology is very dated.

We love lunch at the Sci-Fi Drive In. Decent burgers, but what we love are the film clips.

After lunch we rode Star Tours (and yes, it does feel like Star Wars has already taken over the park), then headed over to Toy Story Land. I love Toy Story Mania, and we had to try Slinky Dog.

We had debated about which show to see after dinner -- Fantasmic! or Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular. It's almost impossible to see both the same night...

We wound up skipping the shows and going home early...we were both under the weather and decided an early night was in our best interests.

to be continued....

songbird

Original Poster
Our last day at Disney (but not our last day in Florida) we finally made use of the park hopper feature on our tickets.

We started the day in the Magic Kingdom. We got there a bit later than we inteded, we had a mishap with the GPS and initially wound up at the castmembers' entrance to the park. This was the day it rained, so we were treated to castmembers dancing down Main Street in raincoats and boots.

Our first ride of the day was Small world. It's another "must-do" from our childhood memories of the New York World's Fair. Next was Peter Pan, another classic.

We had lunch with some locals in Liberty Square:

The birds were delighted when I dropped my hot dog.

We rode Pirates of the Caribbean again, then took the monorail to EPCOT.

This time we were able to fully enjoy Test Track -- we designed a car and then got onto the ride. And I remembered to bring a scrunchie.

Then we headed over to Mexico. We rode the boat again, did a little shopping, and then had dinner at the San Angel Inn. Our waiter was named (appropriately enough) Angel. Loved the queso fundido appetizer.

We were too tired to stay for Illuminations.

This was our last day at Disney, but we spent a few more days in Florida. Keep reading if you're interested.

songbird

Original Poster
We have friends who live near Tampa, so we took some time to visit with them. We met up with them in Tarpon Springs, a small Gulf Coast town that is famous for its industry -- it is the sea sponge capital of the world. The town is very produ of its Greek heritage (a lot of Greek immigrants were recruited for the sponge industry), and there must be 8 or 10 Greek restaurants in the tourist area of the town. We had an amazing lunch at Hellas. We started our meal with saganaki. This is a semi soft cheese, which is briefly pan fried to develop a "crust". The cheese is then doused with brandy and "flamed' at the table, so it becomes rich and gooey. Opa! I couldn't decide which entree I wanted -- you know how I love Greek food -- so I ordered the combination platter. The platter included gyro meat (rotisserie beef and lamb) (and they will correct you if you do't pronounce it "yeero"), pastitsio (a casserole of ziti, ground beef, Romano cheese and a creamy sauce), moussaka (a casserole of eggplant, potatoes, ground beef and a cheese sauce), dolmades (ground beef mixture wrapped in grape leaves) and tzatziki (a sauce made from Greek yogurt and garlic). The dish was served with Greek potatoes, rice pilaf and peas in tomato sauce.

Our friends came back to Orlando with us, and we enjoyed dinner at a restaurant on International Drive. Boston Lobster Feast is an all-you-can-eat buffet featuring clams, mussels, shrimp, crab legs, and yes, whole steamed lobsters. A bit pricey for a buffet, but well worth it. Our friends also took us to the Florida Blueberry Festival, where we shoppe dofr local crafts.

On our last day, we went to Gatorland. It's a much calmer, quieter type of park. got a chance to see the gators, egrets, flamingoes. parrots...it was a fun day.

We went straight from Gatorland to the airport... hated to leave Florida....

Songbird76

Hi bulleye, hi fellow songbird.

Songbird, they have a sample seat at the ride entrance, and I thought I fit, but I couldn't ride because the leg restraints didn't latch. Here's my picture, you see I have very heavy legs.

View attachment 363261
I will have to check when I get there with the test vehicle. My calves are pretty thick...I can't wear boots because they won't close around my calves.

songbird

Original Poster
Just wanted to add a few photos from Gatorland.

Attachments

• 9F7B27C6-88E0-47BE-883B-1AFC329B4689.jpeg
    9F7B27C6-88E0-47BE-883B-1AFC329B4689.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 119
  • B5EF4E1F-EAB8-4A91-898E-5E2DE9759587.jpeg
    B5EF4E1F-EAB8-4A91-898E-5E2DE9759587.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 2A5236C4-B794-41C9-9983-352E3C0C6421.jpeg
    2A5236C4-B794-41C9-9983-352E3C0C6421.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 5AFD0C2F-A3A8-42AF-92CD-8AA06B4ECA7A.jpeg
    5AFD0C2F-A3A8-42AF-92CD-8AA06B4ECA7A.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 112

fractal

of ziti, ground beef, Romano ch
We have friends who live near Tampa, so we took some time to visit with them. We met up with them in Tarpon Springs, a small Gulf Coast town that is famous for its industry -- it is the sea sponge capital of the world. The town is very produ of its Greek heritage (a lot of Greek immigrants were recruited for the sponge industry), and there must be 8 or 10 Greek restaurants in the tourist area of the town. We had an amazing lunch at Hellas. We started our meal with saganaki. This is a semi soft cheese, which is briefly pan fried to develop a "crust". The cheese is then doused with brandy and "flamed' at the table, so it becomes rich and gooey. Opa! I couldn't decide which entree I wanted -- you know how I love Greek food -- so I ordered the combination platter. The platter included gyro meat (rotisserie beef and lamb) (and they will correct you if you do't pronounce it "yeero"), pastitsio (a casserole of ziti, ground beef, Romano cheese and a creamy sauce), moussaka (a casserole of eggplant, potatoes, ground beef and a cheese sauce), dolmades (ground beef mixture wrapped in grape leaves) and tzatziki (a sauce made from Greek yogurt and garlic). The dish was served with Greek potatoes, rice pilaf and peas in tomato sauce.

Our friends came back to Orlando with us, and we enjoyed dinner at a restaurant on International Drive. Boston Lobster Feast is an all-you-can-eat buffet featuring clams, mussels, shrimp, crab legs, and yes, whole steamed lobsters. A bit pricey for a buffet, but well worth it. Our friends also took us to the Florida Blueberry Festival, where we shoppe dofr local crafts.

On our last day, we went to Gatorland. It's a much calmer, quieter type of park. got a chance to see the gators, egrets, flamingoes. parrots...it was a fun day.

We went straight from Gatorland to the airport... hated to leave Florida....

Can't go wrong with Greek food!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom