Marathon Character Locations/Frequency

papercut

Original Poster
Can someone that's run the full or half marathon tell me basically where the characters are and how frequent (mileage wise) they are? Are there characters in the non-park sections?

The reason I ask is that my training derailed because of finals and ive given up my time goal, so now my goal is to meet every character along the way:lol: Thanks!!

lukacseven

Characters and locations as I remember them (varied per year): Near mile 3 -Chip & Dale in ponchos outside Mexico Pavilion.

In MK: Stitch & Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland, Alice in Wonderland charcters by the Tea Cups, Pooh charcaters by Pooh ride, Mickey, Donald, Goofy (in Colonial garb) near Hall of Presidents, train conductors as you cross the tracks near Splash Mt., and Jack Sparrow and pirates in the backstage area.

On Bear Island Road between MK and AK: Duck Tales characters and small animals from Conservation Station. Jungle Mickey in the AK parking lot.

On Osceola Parkway between Ak and HS: Hurcules characters.

In HS backstage: Power Rangers, Incredibles characters, various other human street performers along Hollywood Blvd..

Epcot: Dragon from Mulan in China.

Track Suit Mickey, Minnie, & Donald will also be at the start and finish lines. There are usually some other random characters at the finish like Chip & Dale, Lilo.

There are cast members at each character location to take your picture. The characters are on a rotating schedule. Last year we received a disposable camera in the goody bag for each race. The cameras are light, but are a bit large compared to the average point & shoot digital camera.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I really seek to run a WDW race again one day and not worry about finish time, but get as many photos with characters as I can. Granted, I have only had the privilege to run one WDW race, so I went for time, but next time I shall do it different.

dreamfinder

To add to the above list, I have also seen Darkwing Duck at the plant farm (forget the correct name).
One of the Christmas reindeer out on the roads behind MK on your way towards AK. Also recall seeing Chester/Hester (at least I think it was supposed to be them) on that same stretch of road.
I have seen Mary Poppins/Bert/Penguin by the GF after exiting backstage MK, I also recall seeing a carousel horse there as well. (Wood, not a character)
On one of the golf courses, they have had the Mickey Mouse golf cart out with I think Minnie and Goofy in golf gear (may have been Mickey and Goofy)
Also saw Kermit in the New York street area one year.
Assorted villains near the BAH, Hades and the like.
I think the green army men have been out for marathon weekend, but I missed them last year.
So plenty of characters in non park sections. Not all of them will have handlers though. Many do, but not all.
All but Darkwing Duck and Kermit I saw last January, they were prior years.
As lukacseven said, the characters rotate. You may see some we haven't mentioned, and not see some that we have. I know there were some I didn't see last year as I ran by several Winnebagos that didn't have any characters out in front of them. If you are running just for characters (and many people do) you should have the opportunity to see lots of rare characters out and about. I definitely recall there being many more on the full marathon than the half, and also most were on stretches where the road was fully closed, or not accessible to non runners.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I can't even fathom stopping for pictures....my goal is to finish, and I don't want to be slowed down by anything....

papercut

Original Poster
I can't even fathom stopping for pictures....my goal is to finish, and I don't want to be slowed down by anything....

That's how I felt before my training got off track, but now my goal is to make the most of the experience. I'll worry about time at a different marathon that doesn't have as much to offer as WDW.

Main Street USA

That would've been my answer before the Wine and Dine Half, but then I saw the Up characters in the Studios, and I thought to myself, "I'd like to have a picture with them." Then the other little voice in my head said "NO! You can't stop for that, you idiot!" Then the first voice said, "Shouldn't you be doing this for fun? If you want a picture, get a picture. Who are you trying to impress with your time?"

At the end of this long conversation with myself I stopped and took the picture, and now it's one of my favorite memories form the race. I figure I do these for fun. I'll look at my time in the end and know that I stopped, and I'll take it into account. I'm certainly not worried about impressing anyone with my time. All I really want to do is get the most I can out of the experience.

Phonedave

That would've been my answer before the Wine and Dine Half, but then I saw the Up characters in the Studios, and I thought to myself, "I'd like to have a picture with them." Then the other little voice in my head said "NO! You can't stop for that, you idiot!" Then the first voice said, "Shouldn't you be doing this for fun? If you want a picture, get a picture. Who are you trying to impress with your time?"

At the end of this long conversation with myself I stopped and took the picture, and now it's one of my favorite memories form the race. I figure I do these for fun. I'll look at my time in the end and know that I stopped, and I'll take it into account. I'm certainly not worried about impressing anyone with my time. All I really want to do is get the most I can out of the experience.

I would have no problem stopping for a picture (i would even be a good excuse for my slow times). I just can't fathom carrying a camera.

When I ran the Caymans Half earlier this month, one of the large houses was lit up. In the Caymans, Christmas is a BIG thing. There are a lot of houses that look like the Osbourne lights - it's insane. Anyway, I would have stopped to take a picture, but I had no camera. I don't even like running with my car or house keys.

-dave

dreamfinder

I stopped just for Carl as well. He was the only one I didn't get to see at DHS, so I thought awesome, lets stop. I had my phone with me anyways cause I don't trust that getting tossed around in a uHaul and at bag check, so I stopped. Well, cast member didn't hold still long enough, so I have a blurry photo. : ( Better than nothing. And then I saw my finish time and I was like doh, if I hadn't stopped I would have been dead on pace. Ehh... C'est la vie.
Did the Halloween Family 5k with the DW and we hit up all but 2 characters, and those are some fun pictures. I have a shot of us in front of the castle, with some blurry guy dashing away after taking his picture, pretty cool.

That may be the same game plan for the Princess half/5k. Get pics on the 5k, and then do the half as normal. Haven't decided yet.

But if you have already decided to just finish, then definitely hit up any and all characters you see. Lots of "rare" characters and costumes out and about.

Texas84

What about musicians? I saw photos of the Japanese Taiko drummers in a past race. Would love a pic with them. Ganbatte!

MKCP 1985

Can someone that's run the full or half marathon tell me basically where the characters are and how frequent (mileage wise) they are? Are there characters in the non-park sections?

The reason I ask is that my training derailed because of finals and ive given up my time goal, so now my goal is to meet every character along the way:lol: Thanks!!

My favorite ever Disney marathon trip report was posted by HollyBelle after the 2009 marathon, and you can access it here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=404473

Holly takes you mile by mile through the 26 miles of the marathon course, loaded with photos and discussions of characters and where they were located.

The short answer is that characters are definitely in non park sections as well as in the parks. My most random character encounter in the 2010 marathon was with the Christmas reindeer on the road from the Magic Kingdom to the Animal Kingdom park, but that was truly one of many.

dreamfinder

What about musicians? I saw photos of the Japanese Taiko drummers in a past race. Would love a pic with them. Ganbatte!

There are also all sorts of musicans and other cheering groups on course. I recall seeing several local? high school bands out and about, a few groups of cheerleaders, Mulch Sweat & Tears by the dogleg at ~ mile 21, and I am fairly certain there were other musical acts out an about.

If nothing else, Disney does a very good job trying to ensure lots of entertainment all along the entire course, both inside the parks and out. I remember they were trying to set up a hot air balloon during the half last year (I think they ended up giving up due to the weather). Some of the stilt walkers from either the DtD mini show or the Move it Shake it Celebrate It mini parade. And don't forget the tons of cast members and volunteers that stand out there cheering the runners on. Make sure to say thanks to them any chance you get!

Main Street USA

I would have no problem stopping for a picture (i would even be a good excuse for my slow times). I just can't fathom carrying a camera.

When I ran the Caymans Half earlier this month, one of the large houses was lit up. In the Caymans, Christmas is a BIG thing. There are a lot of houses that look like the Osbourne lights - it's insane. Anyway, I would have stopped to take a picture, but I had no camera. I don't even like running with my car or house keys.

-dave
Yeah, for the wine and dine I had a camelback waist pack, and my iPhone fits in there nicely. I'll likely be doing the same for the full.

lukacseven

There's a local radio station that appears at at least 2 points along the course (near the overpass between Epcot Center Dr. and World Dr.), weraing Hawaiian shirts and grass skirts. I recall at least 2 high school bands and cheerleaders on the way to and from MK. And the Japanese drummers - usually at the gas station. There are also the official Cheer Zones, whihc should be indicated on the course maps.

MKCP 1985

what I remember from this year, as the memory is already fading:

Half Marathon:

In the general area of the TTC and the Contemporary: an antique car collectors show with vintage autos (non Disney characters)

inside the Magic Kingdom: street characters on Main Street - the mayor of Main Street, etc.

Tomorrowland: Buzz Lightyear

Fantasyland: The Mad Hatter, Alice and the Queen of hearts together
Peter Pan, Wendy, Captain Hook and Smee by Dumbo
Rapunzel and Flynn Rider by Pooh
Lady Tremaine, the twin stepsisters and Prince Charming by Cinderella's Castle
The Fairy Godmother by Cinderella's Castle
Princess and the Frog Characters in Liberty Square: Tiana, Prince Naveen and Lewis the gator
Country Bears in Frontierland
Captain Jack Sparrow and Barbossa and a ship of pirates just outside the Frontierland gates

On the road back to Epcot:
Mary Poppins and Bert with a penguin outside the Grand Floridian
Golf Goofy and Donald on the golf course
World Drive between Epcot and Magic Kingdom: Winnie the Pooh, Eeore and Piglet
Tinkerbell and three fairies

At Epcot: Phineas and Ferb

I am sure there were more, but that's all I remember right now.

Full marathon:

On the approach to Epcot, still before daylight - a bug and a turtle from the Main Street Electrical parade.
Inside Epcot: Jose and Panchito from 3 Caballeros at Mexico

on the road to the Magic Kingdom:

The Pooh Characters on World Drive
Old timey bicycle riders at the TTC (huge front wheel bicycle)

Inside the Magic Kingdom:

Same characters on Main Street
Stitch in Tomorrowland
Woody and Jesse at Frontierland
Same Cinderella characters.
Same Alice characters.

On the road to the Animal Kingdom:
Zorro on his horse (Tornado?) and Barnado
Davey Crockett?
A guy in a pith helmet with a skull on the end of a walking stick (???)

Animal Kingdom:

Minnie Mouse
Mickey Mouse
Balloo and King Louie
Terk
Rafiki
Flik
Brer Bear and Brer Fox

Outside the Animal Kingdom:
Grave diggers from the Haunted Mansion complete with grave to lie in for photo! (I couldn't lie down in that - at Mile Marker 18, I would not be able to get back up)

On the road to Disney Hollywood Studios:

Disney fairies
Stilt walkers
Green Army man from Toy Story

At the studios:
Mr. and Mrs. Incredible
Dug and Carl Fredrickson - Up!
Mike and Sully

At Epcot (finish)
Marie from Aristocats
Beast
a big, intimidating character at China (don't know who he is)
Jose and Panchito again at Mexico

I remember that Phineas and Ferb were out again, but can't remember whether it was at Hollywood Studios or at Epcot. Also remember that Chip and Dale were out, but can't remember where. Animal Kingdom, possibly?

Finish line:

Goofy, Mickey, Donald

---- Again, I am sure there are many others, I just can't remember any more right now. :wave:

Phonedave

Added what else I remember in bold

what I remember from this year, as the memory is already fading:

Full marathon:

On the approach to Epcot, still before daylight - a bug and a turtle from the Main Street Electrical parade.
Inside Epcot: Jose and Panchito from 3 Caballeros at Mexico

on the road to the Magic Kingdom:

The Pooh Characters on World Drive
Old timey bicycle riders at the TTC (huge front wheel bicycle)

NASCAR car with drivers from the track.

Inside the Magic Kingdom:

Same characters on Main Street
Stitch in Tomorrowland
Woody and Jesse at Frontierland
Same Cinderella characters.
Same Alice characters.
Engineers with train

Pirates by POTC show building - when I passed it was Barbossa and crew

On the road to the Animal Kingdom:
Zorro on his horse (Tornado?) and Barnado
Davey Crockett? yes - "run faster there is a bair chasin' you"
A guy in a pith helmet with a skull on the end of a walking stick (???) the stick was one of those carved ones they sell in Animal Kingdom. He was telling everyone to "touch the skull for magical energy" - kind of strange, no idea who he was
Goofy and Minnie in golf attire and with their golf cart

Animal Kingdom:

Minnie Mouse
Mickey Mouse
Balloo and King Louie
Terk
Rafiki
Flik
Brer Bear and Brer Fox

Outside the Animal Kingdom:
Grave diggers from the Haunted Mansion complete with grave to lie in for photo! (I couldn't lie down in that - at Mile Marker 18, I would not be able to get back up)

On the road to Disney Hollywood Studios:

Disney fairies
Stilt walkers
Green Army man from Toy Story

At the studios:
Mr. and Mrs. Incredible
Dug and Carl Fredrickson - Up! When I passed it was Carl and Russell
Mike and Sully
Phineas and Ferb were out just before the Costuming tunnel

At Epcot (finish)
Marie from Aristocats
Beast
a big, intimidating character at China (don't know who he is)
Jose and Panchito again at Mexico

I remember that Phineas and Ferb were out again, but can't remember whether it was at Hollywood Studios or at Epcot. Also remember that Chip and Dale were out, but can't remember where. Animal Kingdom, possibly?

Finish line:

Goofy, Mickey, Donald

---- Again, I am sure there are many others, I just can't remember any more right now. :wave:

MKCP 1985

Davey Crockett? yes - "run faster there is a bair chasin' you"
A guy in a pith helmet with a skull on the end of a walking stick (???) the stick was one of those carved ones they sell in Animal Kingdom. He was telling everyone to "touch the skull for magical energy" - kind of strange, no idea who he was

It was funny - as I was running up to the Davey Crockett character, he was leaving with someone with a name tag and they got into a SUV and drove maybe 200 yards. I thought, "Davey Crockett in a SUV at Disney - there's something you don't see every day!" :lol:

Was the pith helmet guy somehow related to The Adventurer's Club? :veryconfu

I also just remembered there were recognizable streetmosphere performers outside the Studios park.

Thanks for the reminder about the Nascar drivers. I had forgotten about them. At the half marathon, when we ran by the Richard Petty experience on our way in, there was a car parked with nobody around. Later, there were 2 drivers posing at the car for photos. Can't remember if that was on a loop back after leaving the Magic Kingdom or if it was the next day at the full marathon. :hammer:

Phonedave

It was funny - as I was running up to the Davey Crockett character, he was leaving with someone with a name tag and they got into a SUV and drove maybe 200 yards. I thought, "Davey Crockett in a SUV at Disney - there's something you don't see every day!" :lol:

Was the pith helmet guy somehow related to The Adventurer's Club? :veryconfu

I also just remembered there were recognizable streetmosphere performers outside the Studios park.

Thanks for the reminder about the Nascar drivers. I had forgotten about them. At the half marathon, when we ran by the Richard Petty experience on our way in, there was a car parked with nobody around. Later, there were 2 drivers posing at the car for photos. Can't remember if that was on a loop back after leaving the Magic Kingdom or if it was the next day at the full marathon. :hammer:

It has been a long while since I have been at the AC, but he did not look like any of the characters from there.

-dave

dreamfinder

If it is the same guy I remember from 2010, I think the guy in the Pith helmet is supposed to be Chester. From Chester and Hesters dinorama. I remember seeing some pictures of them when they appeared as charactes in AK and they looked like the ones I saw out on course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom