Mara at Animal Kingdom Lodge

forevermickey

Original Poster
Staying @ the Animal Kingdom Villa for the first time in May. Read that Mara , though hard to get to, is a good place for a Quick Service meal. It says it is open @ 6:30am.. but I do not see a menu for breakfast fare. Has anyone had breakfast there, if so what do they offer? Thank you

PhilharMagician

I am assuming you mean you are staying @ Kidani Village? If so you would need to take a bus or just walk. The walk is not bad if you are at the end of the Giraffe wing. If you are on the opposite side in the Red River Hog wing then it will be somewhat of a haul. To take the bus, you can board any themepark bus from Kidani Village and it will next stop at Jambo House where you can disembark to go to the Mara. DO NOT get on the bus for Downtown Disney. The DTD bus will leave Kidani Village and go directly to DTD without stoping @ Jambo House.

My best suggestion for anyone staying in WDW is to plan for a light breakfast in you room. With items like fresh fruit, cereal, bagels, yougurt, Poptarts or even frozen breakfast items that can be popped in the microwave or toaster are a big time and money saver in the end.If you have a car it is easy since the grocery store is about a 5 minute drive or less from AKL. If not you could use Garden Grocer, the DVC Grocery list or pick up some simple items in the store in the lobby. This for our family allows for us to eat and get ready for the day at the same time without wasting that time @ the couter service restaurant. This way everybody can sleep in another 1/2hr later in the morning.

I like to hire a towncar to take us from the airport to the resort and back which costs us about $125 round trip with tip but it includes a stop at the grocery store so we can buy those breakfast items and a few cases of bottled water to take with us every day. In the end the saving outweights the cost of the towncar and we ride in comfort.

The Mara itself is on the ground floor in the Jambo House out by the pool. The food is similar to the offering at most other resorts and it is good, but the seating is limited and can get quite crowded during peak breakfast time. So you know, sometimes getting a table can be a problem which is common in most resorts when they are busy. However there is seating outside that is fine when the weather cooperates, but no good if it is raining.

When staying @ Kidani Village or Jambo house the hallways are really really really long specially if you are in a room at the end. Make sure the when you check in that if you have specific location the you would like to be near (pool, lobby, Jambo House or specific savanna to view) that you let them know at that point.

Make sure you eat @ Saana. It is a fantastic restaurant. I like to get there for the first dinner seating and request a window seat. It was amazing with the birds right outside the windows keeping us quite entertained. After dinner we would stop at the bar/lounge in Saana and grab a drink to go and head just out the door to the savanna viewing area by the fire and listen to the CM talk about Africa and the animals. We have also met some great people from all over the world out there. Really a good time if you like to meet new people.

Enjoy your trip!

shipley731

If you or anyone in the family is an adventurous eater, I would suggest trying Mara for breakfast at least once during your stay. The African Inspired Breakfast platter is really good & definitely worth a try. It includes typical QS scrambled eggs, but then also includes Mergez Sausage, grilled tomaotes, pap (kind of similar to grits), & chakalaka (a slightly spicy stewed tomato relish). I tried this on a whim the last time we stayed at AKL & really enjoyed it. I also seem to remember Mara having a breakfast bobtie on the menu, but I haven't tried it yet.

WDWNooby

Although Mara opens at 6:30, they do not start serving breakfast until 7:00. We did indeed eat there on the night we arrived, had a breakfast there and my DS found lots of snacks that he enjoyed. We thought the late evening meal we had (10:30) was good and breakfast wasn't too shabby either ;)

forevermickey

Original Poster
I am assuming you mean you are staying @ Kidani Village? If so you would need to take a bus or just walk. The walk is not bad if you are at the end of the Giraffe wing. If you are on the opposite side in the Red River Hog wing then it will be somewhat of a haul. To take the bus, you can board any themepark bus from Kidani Village and it will next stop at Jambo House where you can disembark to go to the Mara. DO NOT get on the bus for Downtown Disney. The DTD bus will leave Kidani Village and go directly to DTD without stoping @ Jambo House.

My best suggestion for anyone staying in WDW is to plan for a light breakfast in you room. With items like fresh fruit, cereal, bagels, yougurt, Poptarts or even frozen breakfast items that can be popped in the microwave or toaster are a big time and money saver in the end.If you have a car it is easy since the grocery store is about a 5 minute drive or less from AKL. If not you could use Garden Grocer, the DVC Grocery list or pick up some simple items in the store in the lobby. This for our family allows for us to eat and get ready for the day at the same time without wasting that time @ the couter service restaurant. This way everybody can sleep in another 1/2hr later in the morning.

I like to hire a towncar to take us from the airport to the resort and back which costs us about $125 round trip with tip but it includes a stop at the grocery store so we can buy those breakfast items and a few cases of bottled water to take with us every day. In the end the saving outweights the cost of the towncar and we ride in comfort.

The Mara itself is on the ground floor in the Jambo House out by the pool. The food is similar to the offering at most other resorts and it is good, but the seating is limited and can get quite crowded during peak breakfast time. So you know, sometimes getting a table can be a problem which is common in most resorts when they are busy. However there is seating outside that is fine when the weather cooperates, but no good if it is raining.

When staying @ Kidani Village or Jambo house the hallways are really really really long specially if you are in a room at the end. Make sure the when you check in that if you have specific location the you would like to be near (pool, lobby, Jambo House or specific savanna to view) that you let them know at that point.

Make sure you eat @ Saana. It is a fantastic restaurant. I like to get there for the first dinner seating and request a window seat. It was amazing with the birds right outside the windows keeping us quite entertained. After dinner we would stop at the bar/lounge in Saana and grab a drink to go and head just out the door to the savanna viewing area by the fire and listen to the CM talk about Africa and the animals. We have also met some great people from all over the world out there. Really a good time if you like to meet new people.

Enjoy your trip!
Thank you for taking the time to type all this great information! This year we booked differently then any year we have went. I booked through David's Vacation Rentals, so we were able to stay in a Villa rather than a regular room. I originally wanted Wilderness Lodge but was not able to get in, so this was our next choice. I have never stayed at Animal Kingdom but have dined at Boma years back and toured the main lobby. I do not know where they will put us upon arrival; I was assuming I did not have a choice since that is usually the practice when booking. I know I can request an area, but that is not a definite. Also not ever staying at Animal Kingdom I did not know where to request. Suggestions? Thanks you

coachwnh

Staying @ the Animal Kingdom Villa for the first time in May. Read that Mara , though hard to get to, is a good place for a Quick Service meal. It says it is open @ 6:30am.. but I do not see a menu for breakfast fare. Has anyone had breakfast there, if so what do they offer? Thank you

This is the only restaurant (TS or QS) who messed up my wife's order and got her sick. She is gluten intolerant. She cant order without talking to the chef (or manager in this case) first. No real apology either. Just an, oh, wrong plate, sorry. Not sure they understood the seriousness of her illness. That had never happened before, and hasnt since.

WDWNooby

I found this via Google. We ate there recently and thought it was pretty good. They open at 6:30 but do not start serving until 7:00 a.m.

Adult Waffle

• - . - $5.69

African inspired Breakfast platter

• - Scrambled eggs, merguez Sausage, pap, grilled tomato and chakalaka - $6.76

Bobotie Platter

• - Egg custard with turkey, peppers and raisins served with pap and chakalaka - $6.99

Bounty Platter

• - Scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, bacon, sausage, biscuit and mini waffle - $8.29

Croissant Sandwich

• - Scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese served in a croissant - $5.99

dreamfinder

I booked through David's vacation rentals, they did not tell me that info... should I know that?

Ayup. The point values/costs can differ between the two buildings as well.

I'd say it's no harder to get to the Mara than the CS at any other deluxe resort. It's down next to the pool at Jambo house. Lobby elevator to Floor 1, head outside, and follow the path/overhang to the left. There are other elevators/ways to get there, but I'd say most guests would take that path. The food there is pretty good, as shown by the menu above, it's about half traditional American, and about half African/African inspired. If you do end up staying at Kidani and purchase the refillable mugs you can fill those at the Kidani store, or at their pool bar instead of having to trek all the way over to the Mara for a refill.

rael ramone

Mara: Try the African Stew. Very good. Good enough to make at home when you get back.

Celiac: Definitely not cool that they missed that. I know of one person that it is literally a life or death matter that their diet be completely gluten free... Something like that should be addressed with management.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom