Mandatory “Room Check” - Take the poll...

Do you agree with the mandatory room inspection every 24 hours?

• Total voters

eliza61nyc

So I probably would not use the word "agree" but it's an acceptable policy.

So first the policy has been announced and when I agree to stay on site, I agree to abide by Disney's rule. Next, I'm accepting that this ain't the good ole days. Wackadoodles walk among us and as we saw in the case of Vegas they can cause a lot of damage.

Now op, in your case I would be more annoyed at the rudeness. If I was mousekeeping I'd make sure my staff would be saccharine sweet and transparent. in the service industry, this should have been standard.

Chi84

Premium Member

bpadair32

I cannot believe that people are still getting worked up about this. I am quite sure that if you said you were running the races and asked if they could come at a different time they would have. I have stayed a couple of times since they started this and have never seen them do the room check because they do it during the day when I am not there.

correcaminos

This was covered extensively when the policy was first adopted. DVC owners don't have any greater right to keep Disney from entering the room than any other hotel guests. You are not buying an interest in a specific hotel room. It's covered in the contract you sign when you buy into DVC.
Thank you! We also get the joy of paying more to cover this (IMO) crap. We have no real say in that either.

Chi84

Premium Member
Thank you! We also get the joy of paying more to cover this (IMO) crap. We have no real say in that either.
I don't like the policy, but I understand why they would implement it. People looking to conduct illegal activities (like human trafficking) may decide to go elsewhere if they know Disney has eyes in each room every day. Since most of the room checks are satisfied by housekeeping and you can schedule the times if you like (with varying degrees of effectiveness), it's not likely meant to catch criminals in the act - it's probably more of a first line deterrent.

correcaminos

I don't like the policy, but I understand why they would implement it. People looking to conduct illegal activities (like human trafficking) may decide to go elsewhere if they know Disney has eyes in each room every day. Since most of the room checks are satisfied by housekeeping and you can schedule the times if you like (with varying degrees of effectiveness), it's not likely meant to catch criminals in the act - it's probably more of a first line deterrent.
The problem with DVC is that we did not get checks daily. We do not get housekeeping. To us it is more of an infringement upon our home like stays, compared to a regular hotel stay. I cannot put a do not disturb sign on and know that I will not be disturbed. In addition since we do not have daily housekeeping, we now are paying extra because they have to pay more people to go into our rooms when they never did that in the first place. So call me crazy, I think this is more theater and I'm stuck paying for it. That makes me quite annoyed about it. I am also tired of people using things as an excuse to be more afraid of life than they need to be. And then expect those of us who are not afraid to deal with the results because of it.

Chi84

Premium Member
The problem with DVC is that we did not get checks daily. We do not get housekeeping. To us it is more of an infringement upon our home like stays, compared to a regular hotel stay. I cannot put a do not disturb sign on and know that I will not be disturbed. In addition since we do not have daily housekeeping, we now are paying extra because they have to pay more people to go into our rooms when they never did that in the first place. So call me crazy, I think this is more theater and I'm stuck paying for it. That makes me quite annoyed about it. I am also tired of people using things as an excuse to be more afraid of life than they need to be. And then expect those of us who are not afraid to deal with the results because of it.
DH and I are also DVC and I couldn't agree more. We are the type who clean up hotel rooms and then leave a tip. We don't need or want daily housekeeping and one of the things I loved most about DVC was not having to wonder if someone would be cleaning the room (or "emptying trash") at an inopportune time. I believe any type of visible security can have a deterrent effect because criminals will take the path of least resistance, so even "security theater" can have some value. I'm with you on the fear of life thing, but I also tend to have compassion for those burdened with anxiety. I'm sort of new to these discussion boards, and I'm surprised by the number of people who are afraid to use toiletries, unpack their clothes, answer the door, etc. People are different and have varying life experiences, so maybe their particular fears are justified. On the whole, though, I do not favor daily intrusions into my vacation home.

correcaminos

DH and I are also DVC and I couldn't agree more. We are the type who clean up hotel rooms and then leave a tip. We don't need or want daily housekeeping and one of the things I loved most about DVC was not having to wonder if someone would be cleaning the room (or "emptying trash") at an inopportune time. I believe any type of visible security can have a deterrent effect because criminals will take the path of least resistance, so even "security theater" can have some value. I'm with you on the fear of life thing, but I also tend to have compassion for those burdened with anxiety. I'm sort of new to these discussion boards, and I'm surprised by the number of people who are afraid to use toiletries, unpack their clothes, answer the door, etc. People are different and have varying life experiences, so maybe their particular fears are justified. On the whole, though, I do not favor daily intrusions into my vacation home.
We will have to agree to disagree on much of this. I just don't like what I have to give up. It's not like I can opt out of this and have other feel just as safe. But I'll move on from this and just hope they will dial it back.

Maybe the answer is "check the room, but do it while housekeeping is making it up." I know if they interrupted my nap or some other -- ahem -- afternoon activity, I'd be really put out.
Or how about far more reasonable timelines like every 3 or 4 days? How about not ignoring room occupied signs? There are better answers than this

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Maybe the answer is "check the room, but do it while housekeeping is making it up." I know if they interrupted my nap or some other -- ahem -- afternoon activity, I'd be really put out.
Housekeeping IS the check. Only those rooms that have “opted out” of housekeeping are checked.

We always have daily housekeeping and have never been interrupted by an additonal room check.

Chi84

Premium Member
We will have to agree to disagree on much of this. I just don't like what I have to give up. It's not like I can opt out of this and have other feel just as safe. But I'll move on from this and just hope they will dial it back.

Or how about far more reasonable timelines like every 3 or 4 days? How about not ignoring room occupied signs? There are better answers than this
It probably helps that we’ve had several stays under this policy and no one has ever knocked when we had the Room Occupied sign up. At SSR we were in three studios and no one was disturbed.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It probably helps that we’ve had several stays under this policy and no one has ever knocked when we had the Room Occupied sign up. At SSR we were in three studios and no one was disturbed.

I'm DVC, so I don't get daily housekeeping. We always had a daily security check in the guise of emptying our trash. And the "Room Occupied" sign was hanging on the door whenever we were in the room. But they always came between 10AM and noon.

correcaminos

Our problem was we were disrupted twice in a day at times. We thought once trash was taken out we were fine, but we had 2 knocks a couple days. Not awful but shocking they had to come so often. I also disliked how our towels were removed daily during this. Just seemed like overkill and wasteful. I'm of the group that doesn't want anyone in my room and 14 years of ownership I had that. Now... more fees more people. Not my idea of a timeshare stay.

We opted not to schedule it but I think we will our coming trips. A visit in the morning would be nice. The after 2pm ones got in the way of naps and going to and from the pool. Though at least one time they stopped and my husband answered and after asking if we wanted trash out and he said no, they left and did not return.

Chi84

Premium Member
Our problem was we were disrupted twice in a day at times. We thought once trash was taken out we were fine, but we had 2 knocks a couple days. Not awful but shocking they had to come so often. I also disliked how our towels were removed daily during this. Just seemed like overkill and wasteful. I'm of the group that doesn't want anyone in my room and 14 years of ownership I had that. Now... more fees more people. Not my idea of a timeshare stay.

We opted not to schedule it but I think we will our coming trips. A visit in the morning would be nice. The after 2pm ones got in the way of naps and going to and from the pool. Though at least one time they stopped and my husband answered and after asking if we wanted trash out and he said no, they left and did not return.
If someone knocked twice in one day with the Room Occupied sign up, I would have been at the front desk complaining. That's unacceptable. Maybe we've just been lucky. Also, I don't care if they come in the room as long as I'm not there, so that makes a difference.

I have seen some rooms that seem to keep the sign up 24/7. That may have made sense with Do Not Disturb signs (which can mean don't disturb the room or its contents), but Room Occupied has a narrower meaning. If the staff sees entire families coming and going without ever removing the sign, they probably stop believing it.

If it ever becomes a problem, we would also just start scheduling times, but that's a hassle because we are in and out of the room at different times on different days.

correcaminos

If someone knocked twice in one day with the Room Occupied sign up, I would have been at the front desk complaining. That's unacceptable. Maybe we've just been lucky. Also, I don't care if they come in the room as long as I'm not there, so that makes a difference.

I have seen some rooms that seem to keep the sign up 24/7. That may have made sense with Do Not Disturb signs (which can mean don't disturb the room or its contents), but Room Occupied has a narrower meaning. If the staff sees entire families coming and going without ever removing the sign, they probably stop believing it.

If it ever becomes a problem, we would also just start scheduling times, but that's a hassle because we are in and out of the room at different times on different days.
The room occupied sign was not up the second time either time but they had already been in. Why should they come in twice? Room occupied sign or not it's over the top.

Sign or not I found that intrusion not okay in terms of this security at a DVC room. Being bothered once is enough.

JIMINYCR

I dont like it but its becoming a necessary precaution youll find going on all around. It was announced at the beginning of the terrorist strikes that Disney was a targeted area. Like all the Disney security checks, its something going on that will not really stop anyones nefarious plans. A quick scan around the room isnt going to uncover hidden items used for intended harm or other illegal things that could be going on in a resort room. But it covers Disney by saying they are doing checks and maybe the policy will make someone have second thoughts... or maybe it will just cause them to plan better.
Vehicle checks for those sitting in the parking lots arent going on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom