Mandalorian and Grogu meet and greet for Walt Disney World

MagicHappens1971

If only Disney knew someone who had some sway with Lucasfilm...

Such a shame they have no influence over there.
I don't know the internal politics, but I know for a fact that Lucasfilm continues to hold a large influence over their characters. For example, Lucasfilm "made" Disney stop the Fab 5/Star Wars costumes from being used, and merchandise being sold. Lucasfilm continues to hold influence over Galaxy's Edge, the Starcruiser, and other use of Star Wars characters throughout the theme parks.

Again, I don't know exactly how this works on a corporate level, but Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm exert power over their characters, and Disney allows it. For example, Disney weddings can not occur in ˝Galaxy's Edge, including the "Capture Your Moment" sessions, no Wedding Dresses/attire is allowed.

MagicHappens1971

Trying to think, did they go special meet-and-greet before or after FP, FP+?

Not trying to start a conspiracy - I honestly don't remember.
From memory, it started after FP was introduced but I don't think it was necessarily relevant as most of those M&Gs didn't have legacy FP. WDW gets more guests than the other parks and I would infer that is would inspired them to create venues like Princess Fairytale Hall, Anna & Elsa's Royal Somerhaus, Town Square Theatre (Tink & Mickey), etc in more recent years. Allow more guests to meet more characters without complaining about Mickey needed to go for a break, since they have multiple rooms and you don't see the characters come/go. The introduction of FP+ for those locations is a bonus for capacity.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You can set up traditional M&Gs in a way that fits how Galaxy's Edge was set up. Why can't it be that you are meeting with a bounty hunter to give him a mission or he needs helps on a job or something?
If you want that level of interaction, there is a way... for a price...

Piebald

You should have seen the villain events at Studios.
Oh god I went to that and it was insanity. I have been to the parks on new years eve and that was easily 10x worse. I think we were basically just stuck in the courtyard in front of great movie ride for a few hours and the park closed. You couldn't move.

That event may be why they don't just randomly throw out rare characters anymore.

ppete1975

Walk around characters used to be a thing at WDW a long time ago though.
i have pictures of me with chip and dale and little john from 83 somewhere. But the parks and crowds were so much different. Less crowded, no social media, no cell phone cameras.
But part of this is Disney worlds fault, all characters are locked away in meet and greets and you rarely see them roaming around. So when people do see them roaming around they freak out, I also dont think Disney World has nearly as many costumed characters available to them, so they arent able to "flood the parks" with them to make them more normal. Also different guest demographic.

leiaorgana

"But the STARCRUISER!"

Maybe they can add a story beat for the Halcyon transport truck travel where you accidentally pass through some sort of wormhole that causes - I dunno - inverted time dilation(?) and sends you back to to that period and then one for the return trip where they say something like "the only way to reverse the effect is to try going back through - hold onto your butts!".

The question is, would Universal sue or just roast them on twitter? 🤔
All they need to do is say there’s an an ancient Jedi temple somewhere on Batuu that has access to the World Between Worlds and problem solved. You could have the characters “pulled out of their timelines” for various reasons and it still be canon in a way. Make an event out of it and add it to the “storyline” that way.

MagicHappens1971

All they need to do is say there’s an an ancient Jedi temple somewhere on Batuu that has access to the World Between Worlds and problem solved. You could have the characters “pulled out of their timelines” for various reasons and it still be canon in a way. Make an event out of it and add it to the “storyline” that way.
There already is an ancient Jedi temple on Batuu. That’s the Resistance base that you enter when Rey gives you the mission to go to Pacara on RotR.

SpectreJordan

Yes and to the point everyone is making, none of the Harry Potter characters do M&Gs.
But you can see Harry near the end of his journey when he's on the run, take a train & then see him in the middle of his journey. 🤷‍♂️
Rise wouldn’t be that difficult to go to OT. Videos can be swapt, Darth swap for every Kylo, have a different admiral with Darth, and Finn becomes someone else. The story can still essentially stay the same as can all of the effects.
I don't think it would be that easy. Imperial & First Order Star Destroyers have different designs. The Imperials are a bit more rugged & mean looking, First Order is more clean & sleek looking. The designs of the Walkers are different too. It's very similar to the differences between the two types of Stormtroopers.

You'd be able to trick very casual fans. But anyone who's seen the movies a couple of times would realize the designs are wrong & it would really hurt the experience.

I think the Land could be multi-era, but the rides should stick to a specific era/story.

MickeyLuv'r

Walk around characters used to be a thing at WDW a long time ago though.
Define 'a long time ago.'

IMO, it wasn't all that long ago. I want to say around 2015 was one of the more recent sightings.

Between 2005 and 2014/2015 we saw Pooh at Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan at Peter Pan, and Chip N' Dale late nights in Tomorrowland. At least one of those appearances was in the Tomorrowland Arcade which closed in 2015. The arcade sighting was probably 2014, but I think they continued to appear late nights after 2015. After it closed they'd be in the far end of Tomorrowland.
Pooh actually rode the ride with a family early in the morning. that was more towards 2005.
Peter Pan would pop up and appear near the PP queue. We saw him a few times. The Rapunzel bathroom opened in 2013, so I'm thinking this was between 2005 and 2013.

WDW also had pop-up greets when they were, I think, hiring new staff. A bunch of rare characters would randomly, unannounced, appear in Epcot Italy's courtyard. They were not an organized M&G, but they did interact with guests.

WDW also used to have pop-up character greets over major holiday weeks. They would appear in places like the main entrance of MK/Epcot/AK (mid-day) and along Main Street (early AM). If nobody was taking a photo with them, then they would walk around and walk up to guests. Some of those were pretty recent.

Last edited:

brb1006

You should have seen the villain events at Studios.
I seriously wish that event wasn't one-night only, would had been better executed as a test run for WDW to expand other Halloween events at the other parks besides MK during the Halloween season. Why they decided to have in during the Summer I have trouble understanding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom