Management about to change Expedition Everest

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Yes folks, Expedition Everest did run 5 trains during the Easter break. There are several reasons that they decided to do this.

1. Increase capacity
2. Distribute fastpass longer
3. Have 4 trains available when one goes to rehab and one goes down due to protein spills or otherwise

EpcotServo

Original Poster
Sounds like SOMEONE blew this non-issue way out of proportions. Go figure...Disney knows what it's doing. I'm shocked. Really.
I'd like to tell you what's been happening down there as of late, but trust me, you don't want to know. I'd rather let people think I'm making this all up than make people worried about going on. So, go ahead, blame me if you REALLY have to have a fall guy. All I can say is that everything I've told everyone is 100% true to the best of my knowledge.

Tim G

I'd like to tell you what's been happening down there as of late, but trust me, you don't want to know. I'd rather let people think I'm making this all up than make people worried about going on. So, go ahead, blame me if you REALLY have to have a fall guy. All I can say is that everything I've told everyone is 100% true to the best of my knowledge.

Errr... I do know what's happening overthere...

And I'm not blaming anyone... But I do think that the whole issue is blown out of proportions.

ToTBellHop

whatever's happening clearly doesn't matter. We have guest reports that the ride is running a-OK. Success for Disney as far as I'm concerned. I don't need to know what's going on behind the scenes. I care about what the guests see, and it would seem the guest experience has not been affected. Waiting 15 seconds before approaching the unloading area is a non-issue. I've waited up to 10 minutes to get off Splash from time-to-time.

hokielutz

They had all 5 trains on the track today. No change to the ride at all except you stop for about 10-15 seconds outside of the mountain before rolling into the station....
... there may have been a 5 second additional wait time at the broken tracks.

Also cool to note. I went on the ride again later in the afternoon... the ride was back to just 4 trains... one was parked just off track going out behind the bamboo... ?

At least this report above is showing that DAK Park Ops can be flexible in using the trains that they have without killing the flow of the ride. I'd have to ride it under their new configuration before I could declare success for Disney and say the experience is as good as their 4 car setup... but so far it looks ok.

speck76

Sounds like SOMEONE blew this non-issue way out of proportions. Go figure...Disney knows what it's doing. I'm shocked. Really.

and that never happens on WDWMagic :rolleyes:

apparently the best of your knowledge is not good enough.....

wesTcoastY

Personally, I am glad the thread was started. And even if 5 trains are running smoothly, there still could be behind the scenes issues. Regardless, I have found a lot of what people have posted regarding how these things operate pretty interesting. I like getting somewhat of the bigger picture.

I have found the thread quite enlightening. Thanks!

ridetech939

There is one problem with a variable-speed lift chain: the anti-rollbacks.

The way the anti-rollbacks are designed, when the train is rolling forward a wheel creates a magnetic force that keeps the anti-rollback "dog" from dropping down into the rollback teeth (or something along those lines). If the chain were to stop or break and the train started moving backwards, the dogs would drop down and engage the teeth on the track.

That's why you hear the anti-rollback dogs only at the bottom and top of the lifts, because the speed isn't constant there, and it affects how the dogs are held in their upright position. (the curve of the track might also be a factor) Lowering the lift chain speed would affect the dogs' ability to stay in the "up" position.

This happened a few years ago on Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags New England. It uses a similar system to keep the dogs up out of the way, making for a silent lifthill. But for most of one season, for some reason the lifthill was run at a slower speed than the designed speed, and the dogs couldn't be kept in their up position so they clanked along the teeth in the track and it was VERY VERY loud. (You had trouble hearing the person sitting next to you)

If this same situation would happen on EE's lifthill, it would make it VERY loud and obnoxious both for the riders as well as people anywhere near the mountain or across the water.

-Rob

You bring up a good point about the anti-rollback system. However, if B&M can create a noise abatement lift for their hyper coasters then Vekoma/WDI can do the same. The solution to this problem may be as simple as slowing the lift to a speed where the dogs drop into the valley between teeth but don't drop on to the peeks between valleys. This way the noise you hear is the dogs sliding past the teeth and not the dogs hitting the peaks for the anti-rollback rail. I hope I have explained this in a way that makes sense.

As far as Intamin rides go their is a reason they are sometimes referred to a enema. My second favorite phrase is Intamin: obsolete by design.

From looking at other posts it would seems like they made the change to 5 train operation fairly easily.

-Sean

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom