Management about to change Expedition Everest

EpcotServo

Original Poster
News everyone. Management is on it's way to changing Everest so It can run Five trains. To do this, they have to lengthen the ride from 3 minutes to about 4 minutes. So if this goes through, the chain lift up will be much slower, and you'll have to wait around awhile at Shadow of the Yeti for the Train ahead of you to pull into unload. What's wrong with this is that the system wasn't made for this. If anyone takes a little longer getting off the train at unload (Which happens ALOT.) The ride will cascade. (For those of you who don't know ride systems, that means the trains will back up. So each train stops at a brake zone.) The reason behind this is so that they can give more Fastpasses. (Which is stupid because if the ride's stopped those few Fastpasses don't mean anything.) The ride will still be safe, It just won't work very good. Plus, If one train needs to go down, you'll have four trains running a slower ride, which means that you can't get as many people through in an hour.
:hammer: :(
Thought everyone would be interested in this item of news. Let's just hope they themselves see that this is a VERY bad idea.

Pabgo

That's different. I can understand that that can sort of increase capacity or whatever but it could also cause those problems that you mentioned. If this is true, when is it going to happen?

Rockin Roller

I love fastpass but for Everest this idea just wont work...except you get to tackle everest in 4 minutes so that means more riding time?!?!? i guess that could be a plus

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I was under the impression that the ride was designed for a maximum of five trains running.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I love fastpass but for Everest this idea just wont work...except you get to tackle everest in 4 minutes so that means more riding time?!?!? i guess that could be a plus

Except that, from what the original post makes it sound like, that extra minute would not be spent in motion, but in a "stop" position. I interpreted it to mean that in order to stretch the ride an extra minute, they're going to add more stops to it.

KZevchik

Where is this information coming from? I have worked in the amusement industry for many years now and I have worked with Intamin closely on many projects. I know how ride systems work and the PLC's that control them, there is much more to it than meets the eye.

I can't imagine American Bridge coming down and reprogramming the PLC, changing the load area logic, retraining all the staff, adding sensors to the braking area, slowing down the lift, and everything else that needs to happen to add an additional train. This isn't as simple as putting the train on the track and poof you're ready to go.

We are talking about the ride being shut down for days, weeks with testing. I am not calling you a liar, just asking if this information is credible.

JML42691

I was under the impression that the ride was designed for a maximum of five trains running.
The ride was designed that it would be able to work with five trains, but four trains (or less) would give the rider the best ride experience. There are currently 5 trains but they only run 4 at a time. There are six braking units: loading, wait at the peak, wait at yeti shadow, after helix, immediatly before unloading, and unloading. For a train to exit a braking section, the next braking section must be empty. Because of this only five trains are allowed on the track in case if a train becomes stuck at a braking section and cannot leave (the programming of the ride cannot assume that a train leaves the braking section becasue if wrong then a crash may result). Two braking sections are typically not used when 4 trains are running (after the helix and before the unloading section). But these sections are used if loading and unloading times lengthen. The wait after the helix slows down the remaining part of the ride and the ride experience becomes not as good (see the link posted below to watch a video of what the final sequence is like when braking after the helix). The program of the ride would have to be arranged so the wait after the helix would be used at a last resort (if a train backup due to loading times were to happen). Running five trains would allow a very slim margin for error in means of delays. I personally do not believe that running five trains would turn out overall positive for Disney.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1175636594795785932&q=expedition+everest&hl=en

jmvd20

Ummm.... Not understanding this here, how is the capacity of the ride increased if they have to slow the trains in the first place to accomodate the new train. Just doesn't add up?

If the trains themselves "back up" on the track as described by the OP then how in the world does the ride capacity increase?

dxwwf3

I think it would be a good idea having the lift go a little slower AND spending more time in the shadow room would be good ideas :lookaroun

On the lift, you would get more time to take in the great views and look around longer in the yeti shrine-type room. And if you sit in the front few rows, you don't get to see the entire animation of the shadow scene. I think it might be pretty neat to be sitting there for a few extra seconds with nothing visually going on. It might build a little more anticipation for the drop.

However after seeing the video of the opening day ride, I don't think it would be worth all of that to have a break after the helix and before the AA. That really kinda ruins the ending of the ride.

RSoxNo1

I think it would be a good idea having the lift go a little slower AND spending more time in the shadow room would be good ideas :lookaroun

On the lift, you would get more time to take in the great views and look around longer in the yeti shrine-type room. And if you sit in the front few rows, you don't get to see the entire animation of the shadow scene. I think it might be pretty neat to be sitting there for a few extra seconds with nothing visually going on. It might build a little more anticipation for the drop.

However after seeing the video of the opening day ride, I don't think it would be worth all of that to have a break after the helix and before the AA. That really kinda ruins the ending of the ride.

The break before the animatronic definitely would disrupt the pacing of the ride. I understand why it's there, but I would hate to see that be a regular stopping point. The only thing I would like to see changed about this ride is something in the Yeti Shadow room to indicate where the light is coming from that produces the Yeti's Shadow.

ToTBellHop

Have you ever been in line for the ride and had to wait a little while between one train leaving the loading area and the next arriving? I have, so I assume this happens normally. Running 5 trains ensures that there is always a train ready to load, and therefore increases capacity. They are trying to balance hourly capacity with guest experience, and I say, during peak seasons, run all five. The added capacity would certainly be appreciated during the Easter fortnight. I would hazard a guess that this could increase hourly capacity about 15%. Might be worth it on days when the line can exceed 2 hours.
The break before the animatronic definitely would disrupt the pacing of the ride. I understand why it's there, but I would hate to see that be a regular stopping point. The only thing I would like to see changed about this ride is something in the Yeti Shadow room to indicate where the light is coming from that produces the Yeti's Shadow.
It would also be nice if they changed the color of the shadow to blue in the evening to simulate moonlight.

EpcotServo

Original Poster
Have you ever been in line for the ride and had to wait a little while between one train leaving the loading area and the next arriving? I have, so I assume this happens normally. Running 5 trains ensures that there is always a train ready to load, and therefore increases capacity. They are trying to balance hourly capacity with guest experience, and I say, during peak seasons, run all five. The added capacity would certainly be appreciated during the Easter fortnight. I would hazard a guess that this could increase hourly capacity about 15%. Might be worth it on days when the line can exceed 2 hours.
If we were in that case, that means that there is a reason (usually guests taking longer to get off.) that the train can't proceed. In that case, the next trains would just start backing up, so in the end that fifth train would just have to sit there. So if you got on that added train, you'd just get a little up the track before you stop.

You see the problem I think is that they think Another train=more people, and don't get that added train and slower ride time= less riders per hour.

All I know is that they'll be testing it in the late night hours for the next few nights, and if it works, (Which it will, because the whole flaw in the system is that if a guest takes longer at Unload, the whole system will back up. ) it'll be a full-time thing.

I can't really see their point on this one, so I can't answer too many questions in this regard. Just thought everybody would be interested to hear this. It's true, but I hope It dosen't see the light of day.

ToTBellHop

If we were in that case, that means that there is a reason (usually guests taking longer to get off.) that the train can't proceed. In that case, the next trains would just start backing up, so in the end that fifth train would just have to sit there. So if you got on that added train, you'd just get a little up the track before you stop.

You see the problem I think is that they think Another train=more people, and don't get that added train and slower ride time= less riders per hour.

All I know is that they'll be testing it in the late night hours for the next few nights, and if it works, (Which it will, because the whole flaw in the system is that if a guest takes longer at Unload, the whole system will back up. ) it'll be a full-time thing.

I can't really see their point on this one, so I can't answer too many questions in this regard. Just thought everybody would be interested to hear this. It's true, but I hope It dosen't see the light of day.
well if they run into major problems once they start trying this out with guests, I'm sure they will revert back to 4-train operation. They just wanna try out something new, which I have no problem with. Maybe they will prove us wrong and make it work. It's not like they can't switch back if it's a real problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom