Man on strecher 7-3-06 Epcot?

Yukinon

Original Poster
When we were in Epcot on 7-3 we saw a man laying on the ground across from the gift shop before World Showcase and Reedy Creek was on the scene with a small type ambulance and getting him onto a strecher. Anybody hear about this? Is this a small injury? Heat exhaustion? We were concerned for the man and his family and it did not look good.

Also I think someone passed away at the Polynesian while we were staying there - cannot remember the exact date - there was a strecher and they covered up the face of the person. It was in Rarotonga - we were going to walk through it to get to the main building but they had the automatic door disabled and when we looked in to see what was going on that was what we saw.

I am just curious - what happens with people like this that it does not make the news? We stopped each time and said some prayers but then we have no idea what happened and its scary and bothersome as well!

Any info is greatly appreciated!

T-1MILLION

Yukinon said:
- there was a strecher and they covered up the face of the person.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

That is never good!:(

sadly, the only things that make the media most of the time are things that can make WDW look really good..or really bad. For exapmple a new ride opens and they are all over it for a while.

Someone dies, even if the ride was not at fault like the recent RnR one and the Mission space situations, It is big news because "it happened on the ride".

Boy dies sadly due to a heart problem while on the ride at that time will be all over the news, but when a man or woman has a heart attack while walking around epcot or something like that it may never reach anything. It really does not need to. It happens. Sad but true. Not even WDW can control any form of the way life works.:(

on a lighter note. I hope your trip was great!:wave:

-Preston

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yukinon said:
I am just curious - what happens with people like this that it does not make the news?

My question is, Why should it make the news?

What benefit does it to announce that someone died in Florida. My mom died about a month ago, and I did not expect it to be reported on CNN or Fox. It is not news. Hundreds, maybe thousands die each and every day, its part of living.

It would do my heart good to never ever see another "Someone died at Disney" thread.

***Disclaimer - I am not jumping on the individual that created this thread. Just the topic***

T-1MILLION

hakunamatata said:

What benefit does it to announce that someone died in Florida. My mom died about a month ago, and I did not expect it to be reported on CNN or Fox. It is not news. Hundreds, maybe thousands die each and every day, its part of living.

It would do my heart good to never ever see another "Someone died at Disney" thread.

***Disclaimer - I am not jumping on the individual that created this thread. Just the topic***

My feelings exactly. That is why I was talking about. It is just the way media works. It is sad just insane the way it works really.

Floridasunshine

At Typhoon Lagoon after the Hannah Montana concert a lady in front of me in line at the outdoor restaurant passed out. I was not sure what happened, but they revived her...I guess it was heat exhaustion. Luckily it was steps away from first aid. It WAS hot out there and it took me about 45 minutes to get drinks from that place that day.

tigsmom

Stuff like this happens all the time, its not really news. People get hurt, they pass out from heat exhaustion or low bloodsugars....Its not news, its life.

People die by the thousands everyday, its inevitable that somebody will at WDW. Why should it be reported to anyone but the police (all unattended deaths need to be reported)?

To those concerned...

I banged my elbow on a railing at WDW once. Boy was it sore.

Just wanted to let you know that I have fully recovered.

-Billy

aliceinwonder

My mom hit her head on one of the Three Little Pigs's heads and got a bump. LOL so anyone could get hurt at Disney even in the strangest of ways!

aliceinwonder

Okay, here's another story for you I'm from Canada and I live not too far from Marineland in Niagara Falls, I got super sick that day. I went on so many spinny rides had an ice cream cone and it was SOOO hot that day like 90 degrees plus outside anyway we went on some ride high up kinda like the one in tomorrowland with the jets. It got stuck and I have a huge fear of heights, why was I up there you may ask? Good question needless to say I had a panic attack. I ended up getting nauseous and vomiting like a fiend. Anyway anyone can get sick at an amusement park unfortunately.

natalia1681

billybluenose said:
I banged my elbow on a railing at WDW once. Boy was it sore.

Just wanted to let you know that I have fully recovered.

-Billy

Thank Goodness. I've been very worried:cry:

Thank you. I laughed so hard at your post, I got a little teary. Thanks again!:D

sbkline

hakunamatata said:

Rightly or wrongly, some deaths are more "newsworthy" than others. You are correct in saying that people die every day. Thousands of them. But Grandma Gertrude dying in the nursing home of alzheimers is not a public interest story like a boy dying at a well known vacation resort such as Walt Disney World. The "who" and the "where" as well as the "how" are what make something newsworthy. If I fall down and skin my knee, no one will know about it. But if President Bush falls down and skins his knee, it will be news. That's just how life works. It's impossible to cover every death that takes place or every little ouchie that someone suffers. But the more well known you are, the more newsworthy your life is...even trivial things. And the more well known a place is, the more newsworthy things will be that take place there. And an old man dying in his bed at a WDW resort is not of interest in the same way that a young boy dying after riding a ride is. It's just basic journalism that some things get coverage and others don't. And it's not a matter of some conspiracy to destroy WDW or give them a bad name. It's simply a matter of something tragic and out of the ordinary taking place there, so it makes news. IMO, a boy dying after riding the Aerosmith ride is worthy of news coverage because of the manner in which he died and the well known place where he died. By no means do I blame WDW, because I can't imagine how it could possibly be their fault. But it is news, nonetheless.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
sbkline said:
IMO, a boy dying after riding the Aerosmith ride is worthy of news coverage because of the manner in which he died and the well known place where he died. By no means do I blame WDW, because I can't imagine how it could possibly be their fault. But it is news, nonetheless.

The major problem is that the media is no longer interested in reporting the news, but selling advertising space and time. Therefore, they have to "report" on what they feel will keep Joe Puplic glued to their newspaper or station. Our "Pop" culture has turned into a "Shock" culture having been desensitized (sp?) from a constant diet of death, tragedy, and drama. The media has gone from reporting what happens to creating mountains out of mole hills. No longer is it accepted to say "Its raining outside", but you have to have a reporter standing in the rain, reporting that its raining". Whats next, having the reporter on scene taking the poor kids pulse?

Shaman

hakunamatata said:
The major problem is that the media is no longer interested in reporting the news, but selling advertising space and time. Therefore, they have to "report" on what they feel will keep Joe Puplic glued to their newspaper or station. Our "Pop" culture has turned into a "Shock" culture having been desensitized (sp?) from a constant diet of death, tragedy, and drama. The media has gone from reporting what happens to creating mountains out of mole hills. No longer is it accepted to say "Its raining outside", but you have to have a reporter standing in the rain, reporting that its raining". Whats next, having the reporter on scene taking the poor kids pulse?

Totally agree with you...but until people stop watching/reading the current version of the news, nothing will change. *shrug*

wannab@dis

hakunamatata said:
Very true... I just happened to be sitting in an airport last Friday and CNN was being shown on the TV's at the gates. They had an extended section with some 'talking head' going on about the "extreme" nature of RnRC and other coasters. :rolleyes:

They weren't giving the news... they were trying to make news. In his 'final thoughts', the host said something to the effect of "these deaths should make everyone think twice about getting on any ride". Of course... a couple of gates down was a full gate of people heading to Orlando.

Shaman

wannab@dis said:
Very true... I just happened to be sitting in an airport last Friday and CNN was being shown on the TV's at the gates. They had an extended section with some 'talking head' going on about the "extreme" nature of RnRC and other coasters. :rolleyes:

They weren't giving the news... they were trying to make news. In his 'final thoughts', the host said something to the effect of "these deaths should make everyone think twice about getting on any ride". Of course... a couple of gates down was a full gate of people heading to Orlando.

Sadly CNN wasn't the only one...Fox and MSNBC were doing the same...even the local news was at it...It keeps people glued to the screen...it really bothered me to see them say things like "another ride related death at Disney"...etc...knowing that the general public will probably think that Disney rides are death traps.

I wonder how Disney's record compares to the competition.

timkelmom

All I can say is that we all have to die sometime. It's a fact of life. If I died at WDW I would die a happy woman in my favorite place on earth.

brich

Why is it that every other thread I read around here has to do with death and the dang media? I was so excited the other day to see a Monorail expansion thread.... :brick:

My gosh, it's the same thing over and over. Just so we all know:
1-People die
2-The media hates Disney
3-Disney is safe
4-People are stupid for not reading warning signs
5-Members of this forum are the only ones who know anything

:rolleyes:

dismedic

One question

Why is this a thread ? Why even bring it up?

Do you post something evertime EMS appears in front of you?

Come give it a break

Death and illness are a NATURAL occurance happen everday no matter where you are

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom