Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

glawio

What good would having an AA do anyone, especially if someone thinks of it as a prize. Who can they show it too. How do that keep something like that a secret to the point of not being involved in willful purchase of stolen property. Something is stinking to the high heavens in my mind.

I'm sure people have their reasons for owning an AA. There are people who have an entire Rock A-fire Explosion in their garage. It's an expensive and complicated hobby but one nonetheless. It helps that it's one-of-a-kind and probably really nostalgic for whoever has it.🤷‍♀️

I meaaaan legal issues aside I'd personally love to have Buzzy not for a "prize" or to show anyone but to have for myself because it's neat. Also would love to cuddle it...

lazyboy97o

Considering Disney has gone after Daycares for using copyrighted characters in wall murals, I feel like they'll want to bring a hammer down on BDD. Set an example. Especially if it gets revealed he took an AA out of that park.
Not exactly equivalent. Enforcement is part of maintaining intellectual property rights. Not seeking civil action against a thief doesn’t have any chance of jeopardizing the ability to seek such action in the future or have the state bring criminal charges.

Last edited:

GhostlyGoofy

Yeahhh, Buzzy was made in the mid-late 80's. Technology has advanced an insane amount since then. From what I've read, there wasn't anything super remarkable about him from a tech standpoint.
Fair. But "could" Disney make that argument?

Buzzy's CPU is full of trade secrets and precious memories of Hanz and Franz.

GlacierGlacier

Animatronics, for the most part, are dumb as rocks.

Their show controller or PLC is most certainly not embedded inside the animatronics themselves, and was likely removed with the rest of the show hardware some time ago.

Anything contained inside, say, buzzy, is hydraulics and steel.

GhostlyGoofy

Animatronics, for the most part, are dumb as rocks.

Their show controller or PLC is most certainly not embedded inside the animatronics themselves, and was likely removed with the rest of the show hardware some time ago.

Anything contained inside, say, buzzy, is hydraulics and steel.
Good to know. Thanks. The Itchy and Scratchyland episode of the Simpsons lied to me.

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

Good to know. Thanks.
This makes me think, actually, how far away the PLC would be for this. Epcot piped audio through the park from Computer Central, but I'd be interested in knowing whether they also kept show control in Computer Central, too. Especially with the later age of WoL, and the inconvenience of having the control hardware so far from the thing it is controlling, I can't imagine so.

@marni1971, you'd know this. Any knowledge if show control for later attractions like WoL was held in CC?

glawio

This makes me think, actually, how far away the PLC would be for this. Epcot piped audio through the park from Computer Central, but I'd be interested in knowing whether they also kept show control in Computer Central, too. Especially with the later age of WoL, and the inconvenience of having the control hardware so far from the thing it is controlling, I can't imagine so.

@marni1971, you'd know this. Any knowledge if show control for later attractions like WoL was held in CC?

Have you seen MattSonswa's video where he hops down underneath the CC stage and explores the labyrinth of rooms and old tech that powered the show? Super interesting. I know there's a point where you see a few charts on the wall for Show Film Order. Just wish he had recorded a lil better.

It'd be his harddrive that'd be full of memories, not CPU! 😉 Hehe, couldn't resist, I work in tech.

Goofyernmost

Could be, I'm sure they will try to do things discreetly by issuing a demand letter from their lawyers to his and avoid having any civil action formally filed in court, but I would be very surprised if they just totally decided not to seek some damages for their losses. They are already in a situation where he is being prosecuted criminally, why not throw a civil action in the mix?

This isn't some teenager experimenting with shoplifting pins from a park kiosk, this is a 24 year old adult who utilized his knowledge as a park employee to hatch plans to create false identification cards, and costumes, and coordinated an effort to take himself and at least one other individual into restricted areas and convert property valued in excess of $8000 to his own possession and then fence them on the apparently underground collector network for upwards of $29,000. Who knows if these reports are only the tip of the iceberg. Plus, he's been very publicly been taunting Disney and releasing images and content from restricted areas, to include release of what may be confidential work product (MMRRR plans).

Again, I could be wrong, but I think their concerns over sympathy for this guy are not quite what you imagine them to be.
I have to agree. They have to send a message that doing anything like that comes with heavy consequences other then a slap on the hand. It's not the value of the item. it is used and at best just a human shaped spare parts item. It is the principle that needs to be emphasized. If not people will be taking AA's til the sun comes up.

GlacierGlacier

Have you seen MattSonswa's video where he hops down underneath the CC stage and explores the labyrinth of rooms and old tech that powered the show? Super interesting. I know there's a point where you see a few charts on the wall for Show Film Order. Just wish he had recorded a lil better.
[/QUOTE]
No, but I've been back behind American Adventure before opening (with permission) and that's a beautiful thing.

It'd be his harddrive that'd be full of memories, not CPU! 😉 Hehe, couldn't resist, I work in tech.
I could've sworn memory was placed into motherboards 😛

TP1OBep.jpg

Goofyernmost

I would think that the computer would be the thing with the hard drive. Buzzy consisted of metal frames, nuts, bolts, small motors, wires (lots of wires), tubes and probably hydraulic fluid.

Goofyernmost

No, but I've been back behind American Adventure before opening (with permission) and that's a beautiful thing.
Me too...but talk about being bummed out... Just the week before they always had the initial backstage show run through of the complex AA scenes for the tour, but, it was no longer run at that time. The week before, according to the CM, someone had jumped the barrier and was wandering inside the show grid. Had they not noticed he would probably been in pieces by the time the show was over. I don't know if they ever allowed the tours to see it running again, but, that was the very reason why I took the Back Stage tour, so I could see how that worked. Very disappointed and angry at the fool that prevented me from watching it, because he was brain dead.

Last edited:

glawio

I would think that the computer would be the thing with the hard drive. Buzzy consisted of metal frames, nuts, bolts, small motors, wires (lots of wires), tubes and probably hydraulic fluid.

Heehee, I was being facetious. I know it's the computer and not the AA. 😚

Also he deeefinitely had hydraulic fluid. Saw some pics on Twitter of it splattered all over the Cranium Command stage post-Buzzy removal...

Attachments

• AF68AE9D-E158-487F-B0D7-2AA6506EB430.jpeg
    AF68AE9D-E158-487F-B0D7-2AA6506EB430.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 193
  • ED0B1232-4C60-44CF-BF9B-4BF19C2151C0.png
    ED0B1232-4C60-44CF-BF9B-4BF19C2151C0.png
    469.1 KB · Views: 194

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom