Mama Melrose: Outdated And Underrated

billybluenose

Original Poster
After my second visit to the overlooked Italian restaurant located in the back of the Disney MGM Studios at the Walt Disney Resort, I feel obligated to share with the WDWMagic family my thoughts and feelings about this wonderful little eatery.

The first impression of the restaurant is the lobby which features dozens of mini-headshots of 1989 television personalities. Almost silly, it is a time capsule of the era when Orlando was nearly the new Hollywood. Nearly.

The rest of the restaurant is California Italian with a small touch of '89 MGM. Goofy decor (figuratively) and Cali-themed music, it's darkness and cold air conditioning is it greatest draw on a hot and sunny July afternoon.

The food is surprisingly good and unique. Again, California Italian themed, the mozzarella tomato appetizer with an iced tea is perfect theme park fare. Not heavy and perfectly portioned for one or two (depending on the appetite), you will not need a nap afterwards.

Cool, dark, and refreshing, Mama Melrose is the perfect pause on a crowded hot day.

Check it out!

-Billy

PixiePrincess

billybluenose said:
After my second visit to the overlooked Italian restaurant located in the back of the Disney MGM Studios at the Walt Disney Resort, I feel obligated to share with the WDWMagic family my thoughts and feelings about this wonderful little eatery.

The first impression of the restaurant is the lobby which features dozens of mini-headshots of 1989 television personalities. Almost silly, it is a time capsule of the era when Orlando was nearly the new Hollywood. Nearly.

The rest of the restaurant is California Italian with a small touch of '89 MGM. Goofy decor (figuratively) and Cali-themed music, it's darkness and cold air conditioning is it greatest draw on a hot and sunny July afternoon.

The food is surprisingly good and unique. Again, California Italian themed, the mozzarella tomato appetizer with an iced tea is perfect theme park fare. Not heavy and perfectly portioned for one or two (depending on the appetite), you will not need a nap afterwards.

Cool, dark, and refreshing, Mama Melrose is the perfect pause on a crowded hot day.

Check it out!

-Billy

Good to know! Makes me happy since we will be trying it for the first time next month! Thanks!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Just do not order the salad. It's a half head of romaine, just lobbed in half, with some dressing drizzled on it and then some cheese grated onto of it and then like a big giant crouton, all just sitting unpleasently on the plate they bring it out on.

I have yet to meet anyone who likes the salad there.

It's been a few years since I have eaten at Mama Melrose's, so I am not completely up to date with the menu. I thought it was a pretty good meal; we ate there as part of the Fantasmic dinner plan. It's located at a really "hidden" area of the parks which is probably why it isn't as popular at the 50's Prime Time or Hollywood Brown Derby.

"...meet ya back at the hideout, Snake..."

Bluewaves

The salad at mama melrose was the best part, never saw a crouton that big before, it was interesting and uniques highly recommended.

Buzzforprez

Years ago they had fried ravioli on the menu. They were fantastic! Unfortunately like most things you try and like it disappeared the following year and has not been back since. Just like the Scottish egg in the English Pub.:cry:

GenerationX

Each year we look forward to trying new restaurants at WDW. If we really like one, we may (and have) returned in future years. Mama Melrose's is the only restaurant we've hit every year we've gone since 2001.

Linguini/Spaghetti Fra Diavolo ... mmmmmmmm. :slurp:

bsandersjr

We ate there twice. We will not return.
I would rather grab a burger somewhere.
I dunno, I love Italian food, but was not al all impressed with Mama Melrose's.

Scooter

I've never eaten there.
I Love real Italian cuisine.
When I walk bye Mama Melrose's everything smells very generic, like Chef Boy R' Dee.
I'm afraid to try it because I'm pretty sure I'll be dissapointed.

Nansafan

I love Eggplant Parmigiana and am very particular where I'll order it. I tried the Eggplant Neapolean at Mama Melrose's and was pleasantly surprised. The dish was served like a typical napolean, layered. There was a layer of nicely fried eggplant, a slice of tomato and a slice of the buffaloe mozzarella. These three layers were repeated and then there was a marinara sauce surrounding all on the plate. Delicious. Being from Chicago, we tend to be Italian food snobs. Mama Melrose's is not our favorite Italian restaurant on property but I would go back for the Eggplant Napolean.

Loretta

Different strokes for different folks I guess. We found Mama Melrose to be one of the worst restaurants in Disney. Way too dark, loud and crowed for our taste, but worst of all was the food. We were very disappointed. :hurl:

FanofDinsey1981

Nansafan said:
I love Eggplant Parmigiana and am very particular where I'll order it. I tried the Eggplant Neapolean at Mama Melrose's and was pleasantly surprised. The dish was served like a typical napolean, layered. There was a layer of nicely fried eggplant, a slice of tomato and a slice of the buffaloe mozzarella. These three layers were repeated and then there was a marinara sauce surrounding all on the plate. Delicious. Being from Chicago, we tend to be Italian food snobs. Mama Melrose's is not our favorite Italian restaurant on property but I would go back for the Eggplant Napolean.

I think you just ordered my dinner for me! that sounds fantastic.:slurp: We are trying Mama Melrose's for the first time in two weeks.

Chape19714

Mama's is GREAT! Espically if your on a tour and they just keep bringing the food to you. If we decide to do the Fantasmic Dinner, we go there to eat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom