Maleficent 2: Ads, ads, and more ads

michmickey

Yes! I have totally noticed this. My guess is that Disney is realizing that no one really needed or wanted a Maleficent 2 as the first one felt pretty complete. They are driving advertising so the movie isn't a huge flop but I think they're gonna be disappointed when it still is. I also didn't feel like the first one was that good so I'm not excited in the least bit.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Yes! I have totally noticed this. My guess is that Disney is realizing that no one really needed or wanted a Maleficent 2 as the first one felt pretty complete. They are driving advertising so the movie isn't a huge flop but I think they're gonna be disappointed when it still is. I also didn't feel like the first one was that good so I'm not excited in the least bit.
I can't even scroll through my social media (Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, etc.) without seeing an ad for this. It's crazy!

On how it will actually do though, I am gonna wait and see. I think the first movie was ok, but just ok.

Animaniac93-98

>Movie hasnt even been out a full 24 hours
>LOL MOVIE IS A DUD!!!!!!!

The movie had a $36 million opening day weekend, about half of what the first movie opened to 5 years ago.

The movie cost $185 million to make + marketing. At the very least this is not the opening Disney was hoping for, and soon Frozen 2 will make everyone forget about this sequel until it shows up on Disney+

Mouse Trap

Looks like Iger has another live-action-remake-dud on his hands. Good!

>Movie hasnt even been out a full 24 hours
>LOL MOVIE IS A DUD!!!!!!!
The movie had a $36 million opening day weekend, about half of what the first movie opened to 5 years ago.

The movie cost $185 million to make + marketing. At the very least this is not the opening Disney was hoping for, and soon Frozen 2 will make everyone forget about this sequel until it shows up on Disney+

You're gonna need to understand the film market a bit more than that. Especially for a company like Disney that has a far more complex strategy than just needing an overall numerical return at the domestic box office.

Domestic, yes it certainly is weak. But it's off to a very strong international debut, outpacing the original with a smaller amount of screens. China is solid and Russia is very strong, but surprisingly Japan is a bit weak. Either way the film won't make nearly the same profit, but saying the film is a "dud" and a "flop" is far from the truth as this strengthens Disney's international brand presence in two countries that are historically hard to crack. There's quite a few long-term wins here and the film will be profitable in more ways than one, but another sequel definitely won't be coming.

Last edited:

CJR

What has been the audience vs critic reviews on this? Anyone know?

Opposites. Critics dislike it on average and the audience has rated it well, with an "A" cinema score.

We liked it ourselves, actually. Knowing a bit of what to expect before the movie probably tampered expectations, but it was a decent followup, IMO. Definitely a watchable sequel, compared to Alice.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm in the "didnt like it" category. Pretty, but its a hack job for the character of Maleficent and a reimaging that I don't agree with. Three strong female characters Good, story bad. Same issues as with the first retcon'd outing. Skeletor still looks pretty rough.

Disneyfanman

Don't fool yourselves. The general rule is that a film has to return 2.5 to 3X its production cost in Box Office. This is because the studio only receives a percentage of the gross. It's a smaller percentage overseas too. The budget was 185 million. So they have to hit 463 to 555 million in Box Office to be in the black. That's conservative. This doesn't, however, include the revenues generated from VOD, DVD, and rentals. Disney is going to take a write-down of 100 million on this film.

Does it matter? With the year that Disney has had, it's a very minor bump. I'm convinced that Disney released it this year (it was supposed to come out next May) to bury it in a very successful year AND to get it to Disney+ as soon as possible. They knew it wasn't going to be a hit. If it ended up doing well then it was a bonus. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I would guess that M3 is unlikely.

Disney still has Frozen 2 and Star Wars opening this year.

Mouse Trap

Don't fool yourselves. The general rule is that a film has to return 2.5 to 3X its production cost in Box Office. This is because the studio only receives a percentage of the gross. It's a smaller percentage overseas too. The budget was 185 million. So they have to hit 463 to 555 million in Box Office to be in the black. That's conservative. This doesn't, however, include the revenues generated from VOD, DVD, and rentals. Disney is going to take a write-down of 100 million on this film.

Does it matter? With the year that Disney has had, it's a very minor bump. I'm convinced that Disney released it this year (it was supposed to come out next May) to bury it in a very successful year AND to get it to Disney+ as soon as possible. They knew it wasn't going to be a hit. If it ended up doing well then it was a bonus. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I would guess that M3 is unlikely.

Disney still has Frozen 2 and Star Wars opening this year.

You're making stuff up and creating calculations based off your own personal estimates. I'm quite involved in the industry and even if I wasn't it's in plenty of credible articles and trades that Maleficent needs around 400M to break even. It's no secret... don't fool yourself.

Last edited:

Mouse Trap

Source? I find it hard to believe given the movie's budget and how the break down is happening domestic vs overseas.

Anthony D'Alessandro is quite connected and credible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom