Making the most out of Easter Week

slappy magoo

Hey there Hi there Ho there!

So, my GF & I went to WDW last year, late August-early Sept. Aside from the heat & driving out a day and a half early to avoid one of the hurricanes, I couldn’t have asked for a greater time. The nicest surprise was the lack of crowds most of the time. Many days we’d leave parks much earlier than anticipated, not because we were too hot or tired (though we WERE indeed hot and tired) but because we did absolutely everything we wanted to do in a ridiculously short time. We wound up checking out stuff we didn’t think we’d have time for, and also riding certain rides many times over (like ToT & Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland). And since we went in with Annual Passes, we figured we’d try to take advantage of them and go a few more times this year.

Unfortunately, my GF is a teacher. OK, THAT’S not that unfortunate. After all, I believe that children are the future, and my GF…you know…teaches them well and lets them lead the way. And so on… But because she IS a teacher (who also teaches summer school), our options of going are limited to mid August (just before the Passes expire)…and Easter Week.

Now we’re realistic. We know that the crowd situation will NOT be the same as it was in August. I’m basically working on an ultra-vague itinerary that will allow us to have enjoy our vacation as much as possible without feeling the need to beat the crowds. The good news is that, since we were there recently, if we miss certain attractions, we won’t be too terribly upset.

I guess I’d just like some input as to how realistic I’m being, and benefit from the experiences of people on the forum.

First of all, to save money for the trip in August, we’re driving down. From the Jersey Shore. Like I said, our plans changed last minute in September because of the hurricane. Our flight was cancelled, and we drove our rental car all the way to Philly Airport. And really, it wasn’t so bad. I was prepared for far worse. And now that we have Sirius Satellite radio, we are guaranteed hours of commercial free musical joy! HAHA! My plan is to drive my car, a 2002 PT Cruiser with only 35K miles. I might rent a car if I get a good deal, but with such low mileage on my car, I’m not too terribly worried.

The plan is to leave shortly after my GF finishes school on Thursday 3/24 (day before Good Friday, so it’s a half day). Taking turns driving and liberal breaks, I figure we’ll get to WDW early to mid afternoon on Friday. We’re checking in to Port Orleans Riverside (and supposedly getting one of the quieter areas in Alligator Bayou with a King Sized Bed…mee-yow). If they’ll let us check in early enough, we’ll take a nap, freshen up and we have PS for Boma at 7. After eating, depending on our exhaustion level, we may try to get into the MK for a late night ride or two. It closes at 11pm, and I figure it’ll be crowded, but not as bad as during the day, especially if there are two parades that night.

Saturday we’ll sleep late, grab breakfast/lunch and go to Epcot. I figure there’s a good chance it’ll be one of the least crowded parks for the weekend. Plans include PS for Rose and Crown for dinner @ 8pm, hopefully outside for Illuminations. Also hopefully, I’ll be able to park near the Boardwalk and use the rear entrance, so after the park closes, we’ll have a few drinks at Jellyrolls.

Easter Sunday, I actually (supposedly) snagged the last PS available for Breakfast at Chef Mickey’s @ 11:10 am (I know they stop seating at 11:30, but do they start schlepping food back to the kitchen spot on 11:30 as well? Anyone? Bueller?) I also figured the AK might not be as crowded during the weekends, but if it is, there’s at least plenty of walking tours to do. Dinner PS at 50’s Primetime Café to take advantage of MGM’s late night. No desire to see Spectromagic again, so even if it’s crowded, I figure it won’t be as packed when the show’s on.

Monday-I figure we could either go to a water park or Disney Quest. We may even (GASP!) sneak out to Universal (she’s never been, I have, but not to IOA). Dinner PS at Whispering Canyon.

The next three days, I intend to let us sleep as much as we need to, and take advantage of late nights in the parks (Tuesday AK, Wednesday MK, Thursday Epcot). The last 2 PSs I have are dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern Wednesday night (again, late night at MK), and ‘Ohana’s Thursday night (never been, really want to). We leave Friday when we’re darn good and ready, since, once again, we ARE driving. If we have to stop at a Motel 6 along the way, no problem, we have the whole weekend to get home.

If there are days where everything seems just too busy to enjoy, I intend to hang out more at the hotel, swim in the pool (weather permitting) maybe even take a horse carriage ride (I repeat…mee-yow). Maybe go to the campfire and movies one night at Fort Wilderness. And of course, Pleasure Island (I’ve seen so many people leave the Adventurer’s Club after 2 minutes of checking it out, I thank their lack of an attention span!).

I know I’ve pretty much written a book, but does anyone think I’m being too optimistic with the late nights in the parks? Or assuming Epcot and AK won’t be as busy on the weekend as MK & MGM? What do you all like to do there if it’s uber-busy? I’m curious, because I’d like this to be as special as possible, given the timing and circumstances.

Thanks in advance…

DisneyCrazyGirl

I went to WDW for my Spring Break of my senior year of HS in 1999. Since I went to a Catholic HS, we went to Disney from the Wednesday before Easter Sunday to the Wednesday after. (In other words one week,) Most Public schools where I am from have off the week before Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, usually returning to school Tuesday or Wednesday.

From what I remember, the crowds were not as terrible Easter Week as President Week's crowd. We never waited more than a half hour for a ride when we went for Easter. When I went last year for President's week, I NEVER saw the park so crowded. Luckily, if you know what you are doing, it wasn't that bad.

You sound like you have a pretty good plan! You know what you are doing so you could avoid the crowds. FYI, last year we watched Illuminations at EPCOT behind Mexico's Taco Stand, nobody was there. It was fabulous!

I am going to WDW in Septemeber, so any advie would might have would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

disneyguru

Being that Easter is at the end of March this year, some schools in the Northeast are not off Easter week....I am a teacher and we don't have off Easter week, we have off a week in April around Passover. I know the schools in my area, Hudson Valley of NY, have the same schedule. I am sure it will be crowded, but maybe not as bad as you think....not sure, but just a thought.

Upvote 0

Mom's the word

slappy magoo said:
Breakfast at Chef Mickey’s @ 11:10 am (I know they stop seating at 11:30, but do they start schlepping food back to the kitchen spot on 11:30 as well? Anyone? Bueller?)

Or assuming Epcot and AK won’t be as busy on the weekend?

We had PS at Chef Mickey's at 11:15 a.m. last fall and breakfast was in full swing the whole time we were there, which was about an hour. New food was brought out the whole time and there was no pressure to hurry up or get our table cleared so you should be fine.

I like the idea of Epcot and AK for the weekend, the parks are both big and absorb crowds pretty well, there always seem to be places that are quieter and more relaxing.

We just got back from PO Riverside, stayed in the Acadian Place mansion, gorgeous, romantic and mostly quiet . . . except for one woman the last two days who talked on her cell outside our room window every morning around 8:30! :hammer: Excellent breakfast at Boatwright's, DH and I shared the Blueprint omelet and another morning I had the Sweet Potato pancakes, oh, so very good.

You've planned it out well, should be a great vacation even if there are extra crowds to contend with. Hope you have a blast!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

slappy magoo said:
...........After eating, depending on our exhaustion level, we may try to get into the MK for a late night ride or two. It closes at 11pm, and I figure it’ll be crowded, but not as bad as during the day, especially if there are two parades that night.

Saturday we’ll sleep late, grab breakfast/lunch and go to Epcot. I figure there’s a good chance it’ll be one of the least crowded parks for the weekend. Plans include PS for Rose and Crown for dinner @ 8pm, hopefully outside for Illuminations. Thanks in advance…

Good Friday & Easter Weekend because of the large number of crowds you'll probably find MK closing around midnight.
Rose and Crown - PS slightly earlier - especially if you want to sit there for Illuminations - We could only get a 7:30 PS and waited nearly an hour for seating (which worked out well as it meant we actually ate during the show) PLUS, you're not guaranteed an outside table - your given the next available table that will seat your party.

WDW at Easter is quite "do-able" - but its busy - I suggest arriving at the parks early and leaving early or be prepared to miss the parades for the major rides.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Original Poster
CAPTAIN HOOK said:
Good Friday & Easter Weekend because of the large number of crowds you'll probably find MK closing around midnight.
Rose and Crown - PS slightly earlier - especially if you want to sit there for Illuminations - We could only get a 7:30 PS and waited nearly an hour for seating (which worked out well as it meant we actually ate during the show) PLUS, you're not guaranteed an outside table - your given the next available table that will seat your party.

Thanks, Hook (and everyone else who wrote for that matter. I did try to get 7:30-7:45 PS but 8 was the best I could do. And while I know that there's no guarantee for an outside table for Illuminations, I'm also hoping that the Fates will be with us, especially since we're only a party of two. And if it doesn't work out, I know where we'll be eating again when we return in August.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

slappy magoo,

I was there for Easter of 2004.

You were wise to get your priority seatings already because it will be jammed and will only get worse between now and then. Last year, the Magic Kingdom was crazy busy but things got tolerable once the sun set. All the other parks were manageable, assuming you know how to use fast passes, with one caveat: If you are going to go to EPCOT and want to ride Test Track, go in the morning because fast passes will be gone for the entire day by lunchtime and the queue will be unreal.
:wave: Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom