Trip Report Making Lemonade out of Lemons Fractal Family Trip Report - Completed

I think we can all agree that so far 2020 has been one big sour lemon.

For those that did not read my Pre-Trip report; my entire family (Val-wife, Alex - oldest daughter, Sterg - son, Toni - youngest daughter) has recovered from the Covid-19 virus. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni got it in March and Alex in April while working as a nurse. Val had it worse with a fever for a couple days and flu like symptoms for about a week. The rest of us were either asymptomatic or had minor symptoms.

Add to that the mental stress of living in a society dealing with this pandemic, Toni missing out on a big chunk of her High School Senior Year and her last dance recital (where she was going to take on a major role as Jasmine), work reductions for Sterg and high stress work conditions for Alex on the front line. Yes, 2020 has sure been one big sourpuss.

But, as the saying goes; "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

It just so happened that last year I made a reservation to attend the annual AHEPA convention in Walt Disney World, just as I did in 2017. We were going to stay at the Grand Destino Towers but that seemed very much in jeopardy when AHEPA (which is a charitable organization I'm involved with. Like a Greek version of the Knights of Columbus or Lions Club.) cancelled their convention. Soon after however, I received an email that Disney would honor our reservation in July. This was pretty tempting since we had convention rates and discounts on tickets. Long story short, we decided to go. We felt that having already had the virus gave us an extra level of protection and we knew that Disney would handle the health risks properly. In addition, we later found out that our rooms were moved from Grand Destino to the Contemporary in order to accommodate the LA Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks. Sterg's and my dream of playing Marco Polo with the Greek Freak and LeBron James in the pool were quickly dashed. But who could say no to staying at The Contemporary for $175 a night?

We were a go! It was frustrating however because although we had a resort reservation we did not have park tickets. We also didn't have a "park pass" which was needed during this reopening of WDW. We had to wait for all that to open and I had serious doubts it would by the time our first day at the resort (July 20th) rolled around. I decided to book flights without tickets or park passes. Southwest had roundtrip flights from Philly to Orlando for $90 plus if you had to cancel you got that credit for a future flight. No brainer. This was turning out to be the cheapest Disney trip we have taken as a family! Soon after I was open to buy tickets and book Park Passes. We had started to squeeze that lemon and add it's juice to our pitcher of cold water.

Now for the Cast of our adventure.

Myself - Chris/Fractal. A lover of Disney Parks for the many memories it has given me over the years with my family, the way it helps me completely unwind from my job, and how it taps into my creative side and challenges my skills as a photographer.

Here I am with my crazy kids at Christmas.

MVIMG_20191224_220836-XL.jpg

Val - my beautiful wife. Not the biggest fan of Disney but in the end she was on board. I think secretly she likes it more than she lets on. I will make it up to her with a trip more to her liking.

Here she is with Alex.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180816202048133_COVER-XL.jpg

Alex - our oldest. Now a traveling nurse. Alex is like me in many ways but as she's getting older and more responsible I'm starting to see her take on a number of Val's traits. She's a good mix and always a delight to be with.

From a trip to Colorado we took last year;

DSC00630-XL.jpg

Sterg, aka Fractal Jr. One word to describe Sterg - catalyst - he just makes things happen. He creates reactions both good and bad. He graduated last year from Penn State. He was a captain on the Swim Team but not without drama. He had to miss his promising senior year of swimming when a series of concussions (all outside the water) forced him to medically retire. PSU handled it very well as he helped the team from the sidelines. He now works as a digital marketing consultant as well as helping his cousin get his music career off the ground. Never a dull moment when Sterg is around!

with our dog Prince (Charming).

20200706-DSC06336-X2.jpg

Toni - For long time readers of my reports you know that Toni and I have a special Disney connection. Many times she would be the only one up early with me to tackle the parks at opening. We have had many great adventures together in the Disney bubble. She's now technically an adult (how did that happen?) so I was going to find out this trip if the magic was still there. She's going to attend Clemson University starting next month and I couldn't be prouder.

Toni in front of the Theater her Recital was supposed to perform at.

20200616-DSC05993-X3.jpg

So Covid-19 made our family suffer in many ways, but we took that lemon, squeezed it's juice out into our water pitcher, now we just needed a little Disney sugar to make our Lemonade complete.

Coming up - Our trip begins with a WDW meet-up before our flight even leaves the ground!

Spash007

These meet-ups are all awesome! And Sterg looks quite, erm, happy? in Spice Road :joyfull: 🍻

And I'm really enjoying the flashbacks, especially as a parent of 2 younger kids. My daughter is 5 going on 15 (aren't they supposed to wait to roll their eyes until they're at least 12??), and your reports help to show all the happy adventures we have in front of us. I'm not looking forward to when she isn't as excited about the Princesses, but yet she was so excited this past trip by Everest and Rise (her new favorites over Dumbo), it really does show that although different, all these memories will all be great.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
These meet-ups are all awesome! And Sterg looks quite, erm, happy? in Spice Road :joyfull: 🍻

And I'm really enjoying the flashbacks, especially as a parent of 2 younger kids. My daughter is 5 going on 15 (aren't they supposed to wait to roll their eyes until they're at least 12??), and your reports help to show all the happy adventures we have in front of us. I'm not looking forward to when she isn't as excited about the Princesses, but yet she was so excited this past trip by Everest and Rise (her new favorites over Dumbo), it really does show that although different, all these memories will all be great.

My experience was that the eye rolling and snotty remarks came about pretty quickly when my daughter started school and a couple of weeks (maybe a couple of months?) of helping her “unlearn“ this behavior bought me a few more years of peace 😉

Ghostdog

I LOVE the Segway photo; DH and I did that Epcot tour too. We were disappointed when they stopped the Segway tours because it was something we had talked about doing with our kids when they were old enough.

Lyssa

Oooo I am so excited to find a Fractal report ;) I checked out the site because J and I were wondering how Disney was handling the whole COVID thing and was super excited.

I love your photos and your photography tidbits, especially since I always want to learn more about photography. Sounds like a really fun trip, so far, and I'm super impressed with how Disney had handled everything. I don't think we'll be going anytime soon, mainly because J wants to wait till the Tron ride and Guardians of the Galaxy open. But I loved reading all about Galaxy's Edge and I can't wait until we experience that ourselves because Justin will love it.

Also, next trip, we totally want to try drinking around the world.

Looking forward to the next installments

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I LOVE the Segway photo; DH and I did that Epcot tour too. We were disappointed when they stopped the Segway tours because it was something we had talked about doing with our kids when they were old enough.
They still have them! At least that is what I was told when I called the recreation line to book mini golf. I think they take place at Fort Wilderness but I am not 100% sure about that.

Ghostdog

They still have them! At least that is what I was told when I called the recreation line to book mini golf. I think they take place at Fort Wilderness but I am not 100% sure about that.
You are right, they do have them at Fort Wilderness; but the Epcot Tour is no longer offered and that is what we wanted to do with our kiddos. Nothing like getting in the park early and riding around on a Segway.

fractal

Original Poster
It wasn't long after I left Japan that the rain started.

I actually had a poncho with me so I scampered over to this tree to give me some cover while I juggled my camera, camera bag and putting the poncho over my head.
Of course I had to take a photo first. Completely out of focus but I like the "bokeh" balls the string of lights gave me so I kept it.

DSC09869-X3.jpg

Some more pics of a rainy France.

DSC09871-X3.jpg

I had mixed feelings about Remy being placed here. I'm a big fan of Ratatouille but I'm also a big fan of the "hedge maze" in France. I think sticking Remy in the middle of it takes away from the beauty of the maze.

DSC09872-X3.jpg

Les Chef's of France was closed.

DSC09873-X3.jpg

I had planned to get a photo of the kids under these lights and set it up to blur the lights like this while keeping them in focus. 8 or 9 alcoholic drinks can ruin the best laid plans.

DSC09877-X3.jpg

Around here I received an update from Val. The good news was she didn't have to resort to the "fireman's carry" to get Alex out of Epcot the bad news was that the entire time walking out Alex couldn't find Spaceship Earth.

"Where's the ball? where's the ball?" She kept asking Val.

They made it back and Alex was in bed sleeping things off and Val was ordering chicken fingers from Contemporary Cafe with visions of a Moroccan full service meal dancing in her head.

More pictures as the rain would stop and start.

DSC09880-X3.jpg

This guy was perfectly fine with the rain.

DSC09882-X3.jpg

Right around here all h*ll broke loose and it rained about as hard as I had seen it rain in WDW.

DSC09887-X3.jpg

DSC09888-X3.jpg

As it came down harder I realized I needed to get inside or at least under something. I dashed into a men's room and waited out the storm.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
October actually Monday 10/19 through Saturday 10/24 . Debating extending one more day to Sunday 10/25after AP and FL Resident discounts through 12/25. Too long for shortened hours?

If you enjoy some resort time and Disney Springs I would extend.
I love the black & white photos of Japan. One word...GORGEOUS!!!
0caa57a72fb236c37aa452b7f2fe6d1a.gif

Thanks @PacNWTigger ! 😊
I love, love, the photos of Morocco! Casablanca is one of my favorite movies, too. The black and white photos really were awesome and looked like a movie set from Casablanca! I never spend as much time there as I would like, because the incense smell isn't something I like, but the shops are so beautiful. It is one of my favorite countries to visit in WS. Enjoying your trip report, and Sterg's prank:)

Yeah Sterg got me good.

Thanks @Minnesota disney fan ! I was glad I took the time to explore. 🙂

Tink86

Welp, returned to work so getting caught up again! It's nice to have some semblance of 'normal' while it's still abnormal.

For the uninitiated, here is how Mission Space works (Orange)...

"The attraction is a multiple-arm centrifuge that achieves the illusion of acceleration by spinning and tilting sealed capsules during the four-minute "mission"... The attraction exposes riders to forces up to 2.5G, more than twice the force of gravity at the Earth's surface (effectively multiplying a rider's weight by 2.5). A few months after the ride's opening, motion sickness bags were added within easy reach of riders.[7] "

Well, I definitely did the green version! And I'm seriously rethinking that drinking around the world now...think I'll spread it out over a few park visits!

fractal

Original Poster
I also really like the photos of Morocco -- you always find such interesting angles and lighting, for many of your photos. It gives a whole different perspective, when looking at your pictures. :happy:

Thanks much @MinnieM123 !

Sterg was pretty happy and never went too far across that line we all try to manage with throwing a few back.

Yes, memories will be different but just as good! Right now is a sweet spot for you so really enjoy!

My experience was that the eye rolling and snotty remarks came about pretty quickly when my daughter started school and a couple of weeks (maybe a couple of months?) of helping her “unlearn“ this behavior bought me a few more years of peace 😉

Lol!

While Val and Alex did the Segway, Sterg, Toni and I did the Seas Aqua Tour which we all thought was fantastic.
Oooo I am so excited to find a Fractal report ;) I checked out the site because J and I were wondering how Disney was handling the whole COVID thing and was super excited.

I love your photos and your photography tidbits, especially since I always want to learn more about photography. Sounds like a really fun trip, so far, and I'm super impressed with how Disney had handled everything. I don't think we'll be going anytime soon, mainly because J wants to wait till the Tron ride and Guardians of the Galaxy open. But I loved reading all about Galaxy's Edge and I can't wait until we experience that ourselves because Justin will love it.

Also, next trip, we totally want to try drinking around the world.

Looking forward to the next installments

Glad you found it @Lyssa ! and thank you for chiming in! So many new things still coming to WDW (Hopefully!).

JohnD

If you enjoy some resort time and Disney Springs I would extend.

Thanks @PacNWTigger ! 😊

Yeah Sterg got me good.

Thanks @Minnesota disney fan ! I was glad I took the time to explore. 🙂

I extended to Sunday. So now my trip is Monday 10/19 - Sunday 10/25. So I have given myself more time. I can be leisurely in MK now on my final full day. Dinner ADR at Skipper Canteen Saturday night just before MK close then straight back to resort to chill out / pack / enjoy bar, etc. I made a park reservation for AK on Sunday -- no ADRs. Just go straight there after checkout. And leave whenever I'm ready. It's the park closest to the Western entrance. I could still leave at 4:00 and be home before it's dark (four hour drive).

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Rain slowed down enough for me to dart into the Land.

DSC09892-X3.jpg

Only to find out Sterg and Toni were no longer there. It did give me an opportunity to put on a new lens. Laowa 15mm f/2 Zero-D. Zero-D meant "Zero distortion". The Loawa is an ultra-wide lens like the fisheye but without the crazy curves and ceiling lights that defy gravity.

I wasted little time shooting it.

DSC09895-X3.jpg

Sterg and Toni were at SSE and had arranged to meet @coachwnh and family there. I was on my way!

Walking and shooting, walking and shooting...

DSC09896-X3.jpg

See - wide angle, no "funkedelic" curves.

DSC09897-X3.jpg

DSC09900-X3.jpg

DSC09903-X3.jpg

This is where we were to meet up with Coach.

DSC09904-X3.jpg

While waiting...

DSC09911-X3.jpg

We rendezvoused with Bill, Crystal, Brayden and Maddy and after filling them in on why Val and Alex were missing we all went in to ride SSE.

DSC09912-X3.jpg

And now my biggest regret of the trip. Bill and I shared a car and after the above photo I put my camera away. First because the 15mm was a manual focus lens and I didn't want to wrestle with that and second - I wanted to just relax and enjoy the ride with my new Disney friends. And it was relaxing and enjoyable!

The regret came at the end when the "Future cartoon/skit" came on our screen. We were laughing as both our heads appeared on the cartoon bodies and started scuba diving and putting on new clothes together. It really was funny!
But yours truly, Mr. Camera man who will take photos of ducks and "bokeh balls" didn't get one photo of that. After the ride I immediately thought of the lost opportunity of not being able to post that on my trip report.
And now here we are. So you'll just have to use your imagination.

More night time shots! This made me feel better.

DSC09918-X3.jpg

DSC09919-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
We all then decided to ride Soarin' (dammit) together! This time I made sure there was photographic documentation - even if was from Sterg's cell phone.

MVIMG_20200723_205603-X3.jpg

It was on either our 2017 or 2015 trip I rode Soarin and the CM told me I could not just take off my flip-flops and leave them on the ground in front of me. They had to be stored in the "basket".
I'm happy to say that this trip I was allowed to leave them on the ground in front of me. For some reason I really love doing that because after dangling and swinging your bare foot in the digital clouds it's kinda cool to land back down and have them there waiting for your to slip back on. It made me happy. :)

We really hit it off with @coachwnh and his family! It was so great hooking up with Bill at the airport, having our meet-ups in the park, having dinner together and of course singing Sweet Caroline together and topped it all off with riding SSE and Soarin' together. I'm very thankful for that and for all our meet-ups on this trip. It added another layer of enjoyment and friendship to our WDW adventure and was a key ingredient in turning 2020 Lemons into Lemonade on this crazy trip during a crazy time in this crazy world. 👍 So thank you @coachwnh ,@Tuvalu ,@TrolleyFollower91 ,@blreinsel, @wishes2013, @dclfan and Jerome! And @MorganInWonderland for an almost meet-up!

Although we parted ways after Soarin' and this was to be our last time meeting up, we continued to update each other over text for the rest of the trip. I'm thinking a Pennsylvania meetup over some beers may be in order soon. Maybe with @DisneyJeff ?

Sterg and Toni gave me some time and space to take a few more SSE photos...

DSC09920-X3.jpg

Where did everyone go?

DSC09921-X3.jpg

DSC09922-X3.jpg

My goofy attempt at a selfie. The light on the top of my camera is a small LED light that I used for the first time on this trip. It's not as strong as my "flash" but good enough and a lot smaller and lighter to handle.

DSC09923-X3.jpg

This is one of my favorite shots of the trip. SSE in Black & White.

DSC09927-X3.jpg

I used the LED light with this (and several other) shots just to throw some light on faces that would otherwise be dark. For those out there shooting pictures with cell phones - make use of your flash when taking pictures of people. Even in the day time a little extra light goes a long way especially if you are shooting in uneven light or if the light/sun is behind your subject. And for the record, Sterg was holding a candy bar in his hand to make this COVID Compliant.

DSC09929-X3.jpg

We left EPCOT and made it back to the Contemporary without any drama.

When the elevator opened to our floor Sterg reminded me off our last trip at the Yacht Club when we walked barefoot to our rooms and how much we enjoyed the plush carpeting on our tired feet at the end of the day.
We decided to do the same and compare.

DSC09931-X3.jpg

The verdict? Yacht Club by a mile!

UP NEXT - DHS morning/Awesome weather & awesome pool time/Val has her best day ever at WDW/dinner at Brown Derby.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom