Make Epcot "Hoppable" after 5PM

MrHappy

It should be “hoppable” with ADRs and many closed attractions past a certain hour. Basically, it will be open strictly for dining guests. There’s no reason this shouldn’t happen. They get food, drink, merch revenue with little staff needed to handle roaming dining guests. They should also open up the TTC to EPCOT monorail with this move.

edit: I’m going in April/May, and Im not happy about burning a Park Pass reservation for EPCOT, but it’s the only way to dine there and enjoy World Showcase.

Chef Mickey

Hardly. There’s nothing to celebrate about this sorry sorry deadly mess.
Or we could just doom and gloom.

Bad things happen and this won’t be the last. It’s also not even the biggest health crisis...there are many.

Dwell on the negative, but I choose to be positive. We are going to get a vaccine in record time. We’ve taken measures so people can go back to work and get their livelihood back. We’ve slowed the death rate, slowed the rate of infection, and taken better care of the sick.

This too shall pass and we can panic about something else while things steadily improve in reality.

Parker in NYC

Or we could just doom and gloom.

Bad things happen and this won’t be the last. It’s also not even the biggest health crisis...there are many.

Dwell on the negative, but I choose to be positive. We are going to get a vaccine in record time. We’ve taken measures so people can go back to work and get their livelihood back. We’ve slowed the death rate, slowed the rate of infection, and taken better care of the sick.

This too shall pass and we can panic about something else while things steadily improve in reality.

It’s the largest worldwide economic crisis in modern history. How’s that for doom and gloom?

Chef Mickey

It’s the largest worldwide economic crisis in modern history. How’s that for doom and gloom?
Economic? 2008 did more economic damage, for sure. Some studies estimate $22T, just in the US. How soon we forget. Luckily, this will be forgotten too. The economy is still doing largely fine and places are opening up again. The travel industry is hurting still...others are improving more quickly.

It is likely not even the worst health crisis of our generation. That would be obesity.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Economic? 2008 did more economic damage, for sure. Some studies estimate $22T, just in the US. How soon we forget. Luckily, this will be forgotten too. The economy is still doing largely fine and places are opening up again. The travel industry is hurting still...others are improving more quickly.

It is likely not even the worst health crisis of our generation. That would be obesity.
The IMF reckons it’s far worse than 2008. As do countless other institutions. That’s not doom and gloom. That’s the sad reality. I wish it wasn’t.

Even your own Fauci is saying end of next year for a normality to return if the world gets a viable and effective vaccine, let alone what’s happening in the rest of the world. We forget this at our peril. Currently it’s not like April but It isn’t over yet.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

The IMF reckons it’s far worse than 2008. As do countless other institutions. That’s not doom and gloom. That’s the sad reality. I wish it wasn’t.

Even your own Fauci is saying end of next year for a normality to return if the world gets a viable and effective vaccine, let alone what’s happening in the rest of the world. We forget this at our peril. Currently it’s not like April but It isn’t over yet.
That’s more of a prediction. Objectively, that is absolutely NOT the case at this point.

The UN has said about $1-2T. Nothing compared to 2008, which did $22T just in the US.

Those predictions happened when the world was in lockdown and there was uncertainty about reopen, which is no longer the case.

Look at US business and how well so many companies are doing. Our earnings were great. This was not the case in 2008.

The improvement since April is profound. No one thinks it’s sunshine and daffodils, but the recovery is underway...earlier than expected.

Jusy FYI...in the US, we are probably 50/50 on Fauci. He’s certainly not just playing doctor.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That’s more of a prediction. Objectively, that is absolutely NOT the case at this point.

The UN has said about $1-2T. Nothing compared to 2008, which did $22T just in the US.

Those predictions happened when the world was in lockdown and there was uncertainty about reopen, which is no longer the case.

Look at US business and how well so many companies are doing. Our earnings were great. This was not the case in 2008.

The improvement since April is profound. No one thinks it’s sunshine and daffodils, but the recovery is underway...earlier than expected.

Jusy FYI...in the US, we are probably 50/50 on Fauci. He’s certainly not just playing doctor.
I respectfully disagree, especially being in Europe. The IMF report was from last week. Watch your backs.

robhedin

I respectfully disagree, especially being in Europe. The IMF report was from last week. Watch your backs.
Do you have a link to that report? The only thing I can find is this: https://www.imf.org/en/News/Article...inance-Ministers-on-Financing-for-Development from September 8th, where they say "We are at a point when we can say that the world economy will lose $12 trillion this year and next year".

I'm trying to find out how big the 2008 crisis was and have found this: https://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/dai...s-cost-americans-12-8-trillion-145432501.html which called "the financial and economic crisis cost Americans $12.8 trillion" which is considered conservative.

I think this _has_ to be much worse but tracking down the data is proving to be fun.

Thanks!

Raineman

I work for a company that supplies car parts to Honda in North America. We have not yet seen our orders drop, but I believe that the effect of the pandemic has not fully hit yet-Honda has mentioned that they have been rebuilding inventories at the dealerships, which doesn’t necessarily mean that people are still buying cars at the same rate that they were before March. If the effect is the same or worse as 2008 on the automotive industry, we’ll start to see our orders plummet, and a good chunk of our workforce will be put on lay-off. A substantial economic downturn is coming, and I agree with the IMF that it will most likely be more severe than 2008.

Chef Mickey

I’m trying to find it in my browser history. If all else fails I re searched for IMF is 2020 as bad as 2008 or similar
I doubt there is any IMF study that isn’t riddled with assumptions and predictions because the costs of this virus can’t even be accurately counted yet. I haven’t seen the study, but they must use linear logic to come to any sort of conclusion because it’s still too new.

2008 had ripple effects that lasted 10 years and are even still felt today. The costs can accurately be calculated because it’s been 12 years.

Bottom line is you need a lot more time to start making statements about this being worse than 2008 from an economic perspective.

By definition, it can’t be worse than $22T in the US because it’s only been 6 months and our entire economy for a year is around $20T. Our economy isn’t $0.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I doubt there is any IMF study that isn’t riddled with assumptions and predictions because the costs of this virus can’t even be accurately counted yet. I haven’t seen the study, but they must use linear logic to come to any sort of conclusion because it’s still too new.

2008 had ripple effects that lasted 10 years and are even still felt today. The costs can accurately be calculated because it’s been 12 years.

Bottom line is you need a lot more time to start making statements about this being worse than 2008 from an economic perspective.

By definition, it can’t be worse than $22T in the US because it’s only been 6 months and our entire economy for a year is around $20T. Our economy isn’t $0.
Again I’ll respectfully disagree and leave it at that.

Now back to the park hopping that isn’t happening.

Chef Mickey

Again I’ll respectfully disagree and leave it at that.

Now back to the park hopping that isn’t happening.
Curious as to the rationale on the lack of hopping. I get the crowd thing, but seems it can be managed to allow some limited hopping, particularly at EPCOT.

It‘s lame you can’t at least at in the World Showcase unless you have a park reservation to EPCOT...something that isn’t worth having more than 1 day during a 7 day stay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom