Major refurbishment of the Flying Fish Cafe beginning in February 2016

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Today's Disney seems to want Darden's idea of a chef. i.e. someone who will be happy reheating frozen entrees from a central kitchen in boiling water.

slide_321203_3011693_free.gif

Pleakley

(Been following here for years, finally broke down and made an account.)

Nice to finally see some concept art. And I'm glad to see they'll be putting in a new highly themed area, even if it's another bar. It's a step in the right direction after Trattoria, which imo is generic and disappointing. I know they attempted a level of storytelling there, but this sounds like a big improvement.

Interesting that there's no proposed opening date. I was at the BWI Easter week, and according to CMs at the time, construction was very behind schedule. They claimed "no way" would it be ready by October, as originally stated. Now that the ice cream place is open, hopefully the focus will shift over to the restaurant.

llrain

Yes!! Good to See Little Tim (his stage name at the fish) as the head chef. Hes one awesome guy. He's been there forever except for the last 2 years where he left the company and then came back and has been working at the Carribbean Beach resort..Good for him

Was scared when Big Tim left for other opportunities

HiYa Pal

I wonder if it will offer the same sort of "fun" that Trader Sams offers...kinda like the AC once did....I think they're finaly seeing the appeal of the AC concept but in boutique form. I have yet to get the full Trader Sams experience at WDW, but did go to the one at DL in March and it was one of the funnest experiences I've had at a bar in a long time!

surfsupdon

I love that mystical 1920s carnival style theme....perfect fit on the BoardWalk. Just hope the food is much better than over at Trader Sams, if they serve food.

DisneyRoy

Was looking forward to this for my next visit and then I heard about the refurb. Would love to see this open before the first week in October so I can try it! Not getting my hopes up though...

ABQ

Why not cheap and very profitable...
So the new menu hasn't been announced yet, they gave some very limited, but still descriptive details like :

Sustainable fish will be the star of the new menu, and Majoras’ new Fruits of the Sea appetizer features rock shrimp and clams from Florida, grouper cheek, mussels, a splash of Brandy and a rich lobster stock. The seafood is served over a generous dollop of velvety celery root puree with adds a depth of flavor to the dish. Simple flavors, a deft touch in the kitchen.

Stig Jacobsen, general manager and sommelier at Flying Fish, says he is happy with expanded space for wine storage and is “finding gems” for a more in-depth wine list.

And yet you still think it's dumbed down and cheap? I know I shouldn't pass judgment without eating there first, but the limited info there doesn't make me think Denny's.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So the new menu hasn't been announced yet, they gave some very limited, but still descriptive details like :

Sustainable fish will be the star of the new menu, and Majoras’ new Fruits of the Sea appetizer features rock shrimp and clams from Florida, grouper cheek, mussels, a splash of Brandy and a rich lobster stock. The seafood is served over a generous dollop of velvety celery root puree with adds a depth of flavor to the dish. Simple flavors, a deft touch in the kitchen.

Stig Jacobsen, general manager and sommelier at Flying Fish, says he is happy with expanded space for wine storage and is “finding gems” for a more in-depth wine list.

And yet you still think it's dumbed down and cheap? I know I shouldn't pass judgment without eating there first, but the limited info there doesn't make me think Denny's.

No from the announcement here it does not look like Golden Corral, Could common sense have broken out at WDW for once, I surely hope so.

MCast

*First Post*

I'm quite happy the Boardwalk is getting some love! I'm confident the updated Flying Fish will be a hit. I have high hopes for the Abracadabar since the theming seems especially cool.

Unfortunately Trattoria al Forno is just "meh" for me. I feel like that area is a cursed spot. Nothing there last for too long or is impressive.

halltd

I'm sad that the roller coaster theme is gone as I really really loved it. But, I'm looking forward to trying this out when it reopens.

The AbracadaBar took me totally by surprise and it sounds super cool!

Bocabear

Will be cool if the Abracadabra bar has a magician going round doing magic tricks!
I would rather have the actual room doing tricks without performers...a little touch of adventurer's Club magic... That space they are taking over is not very bog, so I am not sure they would have roving performers...I think it will just be a place to wait for your table... But I sure hope they do somefun things with the interior... not Burgundy walls and magician posters and call it done.

MJ6987

I would rather have the actual room doing tricks without performers...a little touch of adventurer's Club magic... That space they are taking over is not very bog, so I am not sure they would have roving performers...I think it will just be a place to wait for your table... But I sure hope they do somefun things with the interior... not Burgundy walls and magician posters and call it done.
That would also be very cool. What they could also do (but probably won't due to cost / rota issues) is train the bar staff up on a few basic tricks with a few basic props - the story would be that the old magicians taught them a few tricks before they "disappeared" - it wouldn't even matter if they weren't actually that good at them! This could even be part of the "schtick"

I think if they did stuff like this, it could become a bit of a "destination" like Trader Sams, in turn increasing business for the restaurants on the Boardwalk.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That would also be very cool. What they could also do (but probably won't due to cost / rota issues) is train the bar staff up on a few basic tricks with a few basic props - the story would be that the old magicians taught them a few tricks before they "disappeared" - it wouldn't even matter if they weren't actually that good at them! This could even be part of the "schtick"

I think if they did stuff like this, it could become a bit of a "destination" like Trader Sams, in turn increasing business for the restaurants on the Boardwalk.

Yes that would be cool, also as part of the 'Magic' perhaps adopt a bit of 'Flair' bartending like THIS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom