Major Brush/Forrest Fire, north of Epcot

LandBoatride

Solution indeed...hurricanes/tropical storms generally dont produce much lightning. Lightning is only in the outer feeder bands. The central convection of tropical storms rarely contain any lightning. The local orlando weathermen commented on this tonite, how this was a best case scenario, to get steady rains with minimal lightning threat.

autumndawn1006

After the past couple of years any winds under 100mph I'll go golfing in. :)
We just need the system to turn more north after it hits Orlando. We want some rain too!

SpenceMan01

Jose Eber said:
Exactly. It really rained by MK (having dinner at California Grill) but have no idea if that fire by AK was affected.

Pics:

DSC00075.jpg

View from Contemporary.

From that view it looks as if it's more NW rather than North of the lot, closer to World Drive. Kind of by that long narrowish pond there.

TimeTrip

Was at Mk on friday.. lots of smoke in the far SW. Then today (saturday) at MGM to the early afternoon was smoky (from probably that same fire).
Then we went to epcot, and saw the fire on World Drive/Epcot Center Drive from the world showcase. There was a bried ran shower (with some lightning) about an hour before we noticed the flames. Anyways, snapped this from the EPCOT parking lot... you could actually see flames from the bridge of the Epcot exit.

fire.jpg

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I told them not to take down the mural.. first the fire, then the tropical storm.. maybe the locusts will make them rethink their actions.

JROK

Horizons78 said:
This may not work out for us.....that track keeps sneaking northward bit by bit........:mad: ........may miss us entirely.

It's still early in the track though... Last year Hurricane Charlie was aimed for Clearwater/Tampa and 4 hours before it was supposed to hit it turned into Punta Gorda... It's hard to trust the tracks... but yes, WE NEED RAIN!!

hokielutz

Yikes :eek:.... so a car crash started this fire??? I hope the RCID fire dept is up to snuffing this out real quick.

Has there been anything in the local news tonight?

Connor002

I hope this is sorted out soon...

mousermerf said:
I told them not to take down the mural.. first the fire, then the tropical storm.. maybe the locusts will make them rethink their actions.

I guess Merf was right, kids.
Prepare the Apocalypse-shelters, everyone.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
JROK said:
It's still early in the track though... Last year Hurricane Charlie was aimed for Clearwater/Tampa and 4 hours before it was supposed to hit it turned into Punta Gorda... It's hard to trust the tracks... but yes, WE NEED RAIN!!

Charley was almost two years ago now - hard to believe isnt it? I was working at Cannon Power Systems, an electrical engineering firm that dealt specifically with emergency power generation and carryover systems. You talk about busy.....in addition to our actual clients/customers, the owner always volunteered our company services to staff the power systems at the local shelter for those needing moderate medical assistance during the storms. (Mainly the elderly and those needing oxygen generation.)

We set up at that shelter too many times for me to remember that year as it all became a blur. We were in Port Charlotte, about 45 mintes south of Sarasota, within 24 hours helping to pick up the pieces and get jobs lined up. It was wild. For anyone who thinks they will simply ride out a 3+ level storm.......best of luck with that. I personally think that borders on insanity, but, I'm just one man. :wave:

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Connor002 said:
I hope this is sorted out soon...

I guess Merf was right, kids.
Prepare the Apocalypse-shelters, everyone.

Quick - sacrifice to the LADDER......."All hail........the LADDER!"

And if that doesn't work at least we can pitch the stupid thing up against a building to climb to higher ground during the flood stage. :lol:

UltravioletPJ

Yeah I work at EPCOT and it smelled so bad yesterday morning. My shift was only 6 houts though so I didn't know there were more fires! Working in smoke is no fun though! I hope we won't get any more in the area, not soon anyway...

mpaul32001

The News said a lighting bolt started the fire a couple of days ago and they had it mostly contained contained. That's when it jumped the line and got into WDW property. Furthermore we were leaving wdw on Friday on Western Way and the Huge Smoke Clouds were only coming up over the other side of 192. Note we could see this also while leaving MGM. We got onto 192 from Western Way and saw the smoke clouds coming from the opposite side of WDW like I said. This fire is said to have jumped the line and that's how it got into WDW property.

jcldtrek

I just came home from our vacation. yesterday was interesting. we stayed at the wilderness lodge, looked out the window and everything was a white mist. you could smell the burning. the whole magic kingdom area was in this white cloud. the smell was terrible. but it finally cleared up in the the early afternoon. then around 6 we were leaving for the airport on the dme and saw the fire burning near epcot. our bus had to detour through the epcot parking lot to get back on the highway. the accident was in the part of the land where the on ramp is comin from epcot getting onto the highway goin to mk.
off in the back ground towards ak you could still see the smoke from that fire as well. a very interesting day at disney

Rora

I'm not being insensitive at ALL. But I had plans to go down there this week until they were forcibly changed. And now I'm relieved. I have asthma and all that smoke would have wreaked havoc on my breathing. I have a hard enough time just from the humidity. I hope Florida gets the rain they need soon without getting "too" much, and causing other problems.

wdwjmp239

Another spontaneous Disney trip! :)

...and a smoky one at that.

Saturday (6-10-06):

We get on Disney property only to find out that as we're headed towards the Magic Kingdom, the entrance was shrouded by smoke! WOW! But, later in the day, the smoke cleared out somewhat.

Sunday (6-11-06):

We were at Epcot and while some scent of something burning was in the air (you could definitely tell something was burning), we forged our way through the crowds (it wasn't all that bad today 50 min wait on Test Track and 70 min wait on Soarin') and had lunch in Japan, we were greeted by a brief rain shower that just poured down hard and heavy. I hope that helped the fire.

Anyways, I'm home now (in Naples,FL). My fiancee is still in Disney with her mother (lucky). I just hope they make the decision to stay another night just until Alberto (it's a Tropical Storm now) goes in, do what he has to do, and clears out.

The current weather where I live in Naples is (at the time of this posting):

Light Rain Showers
77 degrees
light winds (my weather station isn't completely online - we're still getting stuff re-organized and situated in the new condo).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom