Mainstreet USA raising starts today

Gucci65

I saw an elderly man step off the sidewalk last year and bust his coconut. We was reading the map and bam.

Last year the parade at MVMCP was delayed because some woman tripped and busted her head open as well. I think people aren't really looking at their feet when they are walking, especially with all the things to see at WDW - calling them stupid is really not nice.

peter11435

I don't understand how this work. They have already lowered the hub to the level of Main Street. Thus if they raise the entire street they will have to raise the hub again or they will have a step down into the curb.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Once upon a time in a land of flat surfaces and 90 degree angles, a man named Geometris, an ancient greek scholar, discovered things called slopes - that things don't have to be perfectly horizontal or verticle but rather can include angles all the way from 0-360 degrees. ;)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
It really just improves flow - not even sure at this point if all of Mainstreet is getting the curb removal or just the end of Town Square facing the Train Station.

Consider things like parades: crosswalks have to be where the ramps are, making traffic flow odd at best. Then there's park exit - anyone in a wheelchair or with a stroller has to strategicly position themself to hit a ramp when they come to the end of the street, which they often can't see or discern the location of in the mass of people.

Chernabog

Can I get a little more clarification please. So, are they planning on raising the street to curb level throughout all of Main Street or just around the hub by the train station? :confused:

Nevermind, just read the post above me! i guess I should try reading everything before I post a statment. :zipit: :hammer: :zipit: :hammer:

Lauriebar

I must say that I have never tripped on the MSUSA curbs but I have on at least a couple of occasions twisted my foot in the vehicle tracks down the center!!

I am sure that the streets will look great when finished and besides the change is for the greater good.

DiPSU224

Lauriebar said:
I must say that I have never tripped on the MSUSA curbs but I have on at least a couple of occasions twisted my foot in the vehicle tracks down the center!!

I am sure that the streets will look great when finished and besides the change is for the greater good.

I can't even keep count of how many times I've rolled over my ankle on the tracks. :lol:

I hope all of Main St doesn't lose it's curbs. There's just something about sitting on the hard curb waiting 2 hours for Spectro to start...

bgraham34

I am sure someone probably sued becuase of the lack of light and they fell and lost there ice cream cone or something to that effect. Curb was great, it was even a little place to sit and watch parades.

Shaman

mousermerf said:
It really just improves flow - not even sure at this point if all of Mainstreet is getting the curb removal or just the end of Town Square facing the Train Station.

Consider things like parades: crosswalks have to be where the ramps are, making traffic flow odd at best. Then there's park exit - anyone in a wheelchair or with a stroller has to strategicly position themself to hit a ramp when they come to the end of the street, which they often can't see or discern the location of in the mass of people.

Ah, thanks...from your original post THAT is what I understood, that the work would only be done on the "Town Square" area of Mainstreet facing the station...and then everyone started talking about the curbs and that Mainstreet wouldn't be the same...etc etc etc...I thought I misunderstood...

I think this is necessary...its a headache for everyone...when it comes to navigating infront and through the the station during closing...

Cinderella Fan

Dr Albert Falls said:
Why is everyone ASSUMING the curb would be removed to keep "stupid" people from "falling"??

Before visiting with both a baby and someone in a wheelchair, I guess I would have thought the same thing. But now I've got a new appreciation of how difficult such obsticles can be for strollers and wheelchairs to manuever.

If there is ONE place in the park EVERYONE would want to make it easier for strollers and wheelchairs, it would be the main entrance/railroad station.

Think about how congested that area gets right now. Parents stopping their strollers in the middle of the walkway to "jump the curb". Wheelchair-bound visitors and their entire families fumbling around, trying to find a curb ramp. Throw in a new stroller rental station under the RR, and you're talking an even bigger traffic jam.

Although I've never heard this "rumor"... it would certainly make sense.

I agree. When going on a "Family Vacation", that means the whole family goes. Even those who are older or may require some sort of assistance getting around (i.e. wheelchairs, scooters, etc). Therefore, these family members also need to be accomodated by Disney.

I have seen many elderly people have a hard time getting off the curbs, needing help from other family members, even stop the flow of traffic to get to ta ramp, therefore being cursed by younger people who are in a hurry.

While the refurb may be an inconvenience to some, people need to be big hearted about a subject like this. Some people are saying "to heck with these people, I want to sit on the curb to watch a parade!! That is more important!!"

Besides, no one even knows if this refurb will include the whole street or not at this point.

PhotoDave219

I'll see what i can find out.....

But IMO, the entire street needs repaving. The conditions in and around the trolly tracks are just awful....

Magicot

I think that getting rid of the curbs in town square or near the train station is not a problem really. If the curbs all down the street were taken out, then that would really change things. I doubt that the whole street will be de-curbed . . I dunno I just have a feeling.

jeff_in_FL2003

I can't decide my feelings on this. I worked on Main Street for a while and I'm one of those who really hates change. I already have a big enough problem with the dimensionless hub. I guess I have two major problems. First, if the reason for doing this is people tripping and getting hurt or people with wheelchairs or strollers not being able to navigate, to me it's an issue of people just needing to slow down, take a little extra time and energy to get their bearings and figure out what is going on around them. I'm not trying to seem insensitve to those less fortunate than myself, but what do people with wheelchairs or strollers do on any other street in the world? Maybe Disney just needs to add a few more ramps to the sidewalks of Main Street. That wouldn't bother me.

The second big problem I have is WDW needs to just chill out for a little bit. I know things need to be fixed or changed to make them better but it seems to me like it's just snowballing and getting out of hand. Things are being changed, refurbished, so much lately that it's giving people anxiety about whether something will be closed when they are there or whether it will ever open again or just turn into a meet and greet. I understand keeping up with the times but it would be nice to leave some time in between rehabs to just have a wall-free period. This urgency to change everything makes my head spin. I've been away from the World for 8 months now, and when I go back in October, I'm scared that I won't even recognize the place. Okay, I'm gonna stop complaining now, I feel like a jerk. I just don't deal well with change and it seems to be overwhelming right now. Change is taking over WDW.

Pirate/Custodian Jeff °o°

happytrees

It looks as though the Imagineers didn't really forsee this coming three decades ago, hmm? Stores and companies by law have a handicapped entrance along with a standard one. It is legally (and widely) considered to be discrimination not to have a handicapped entrance.

What about those of us who don't use non-motorized or low-powered transportation on wheels, huh? We, who are not doting soccer moms with cute toddlers. We, who are not friendly seasoned citizens who no longer have the vigor of their youth. We, who are not amputees or have another debilitating affliction. We, who have not lost the stamina to walk due to our weight (genetics or otherwise). We, who have opted to always use the curb or stairs are now being stripped of our choice!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
That, my friends, is discrimination.

Now I'm calling my friends Jimmy Carter and Jesse Jackson to head down to WDW and negotiate.:D

shoppingnut

I could see the curb going by the train station, but hope that they don't do that to the entire street. When I enter MK I use the sidewalk, so that I don't get run over by a stupid stroller.

I think the new hub with no curbs looks horrible, there are no benches or anything there now. If people are so stupid that they fall off a curb, well removing the curbs I don't think is going to help, because these are the same people that will fall over their own feet and blame disney.

PBarton

??????????

Surely one of the reasons for having kerbs on Mainstreet (or any street for that matter!) is to allow rain water to drain away into the gutters??

If Mainstreet does have its kerbs removed, what is going to stop rain water entering into the shops?

They should concentrate on general repairs/re-painting and replacment of rotting wood on Mainstreet - that is where the money needs to be spent...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom