Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

FutureWorld1982

I was referring to all the photos re-posted by @WDWLover#1. It's nice to see some photos, but not copy almost the entire post in another site.
Sorry for the off-topic discussion.

Going back to the hub project, I think it will be great. Yes, more and more concrete will be added, but if this involves more trees as well, I'm in. After having been to Disneyland, I have to say that I noticed that grown, mature trees really make a difference while strolling in the park.

dstrawn9889

but grown mature trees are a block for the lighting package for the castle, so you likely will NOT see them return to the hub for a long, long time. IIRC the trees drawn in the plans were going to be 3-8 inch diameter in planters...

hpyhnt 1000

Hey, those flower beds over by the Crystal Palace/Baby Center restrooms are looking pretty good. I'll admit, I was very critical of how that area looked a few months ago (no railings, dead grass, no flowers). But what is there now is most welcomed. Looks like there's even some new tree-ish shrubs which should help the MK tree canopy as they mature.

If the rest of the new hub area is planted in a similar manner, it should look pretty nice.

Also, I see they are beginning to lay the foundations for the new flower beds in the hub. Curious to see the design/detail they put into retaining walls.

flyerjab

Wowzers. Lots going on there. When oh when are they going to do something about that horrible view of the side of the Plaza restaurant?

And this pic sure illustrates that they are planning to bury quite a bit of what appears to be electrical conduit inside the hub.

w7M6qZA.jpg

Just out of curiosity, since there are going to be numerous flower bed areas throughout the new hub, will there be a watering system installed beneath the surface that will provide water throughout the day? Does this exist now? Sometimes I miss obvious stuff like that on trips.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes - every guest wants to hear constant beeping because that's all construction trucks do. And yes, nothing more of a Main Street feel than dump trucks driving down the road. No theme park would move vehicles around in front of it's guests. It's the Mine Train curse of being landlocked.

Better that, and more interesting (always loved to watch things being built as kid) , than the onslaught of Brazilian Tours Groups in the summer!

rangerbob

i enjoy disney with or without additions, i can see that they are in the beginning of an expansion cycle in the MK, which any person with some kind of brain would interpret the hub work as a progressive step to expanding capacity. you simply do not increase capacity without having the traffic patterns to control it safely. this is not a highway project, where some city can build out huge and then have the infrastructure placed later... you build the infrastructure first, then add more capacity.

I think you have this backward. They have already increased the capacity and they are finally realizing that it is getting real dangerous during busy times of the year. They know that they have to add additional ways to get out if something happens. They also know that people are having a hard time trying to watch the parade and fireworks. Have you ever been in the hub during 4th July fireworks. Everybody breaths in unison because you are shoulder to shoulder trying to enjoy the fireworks. Don't even thing of what it is like trying to leave the park at that time.

jt04

@ParentsOf4 has posted plenty of numbers that show the low levels of investment being made into Walt Disney World.

Actually she confirmed my point that they are investing heavily in infrastructure. We just have a difference of opinion about how they prioritize their capital expenditures. Not the amount they are spending. IMO.

Lucky

as any company would that wants to stay in business... do you think is costs THAT much more to make a can of coca cola, that the price has risen 50% in the last 5 years? or that the bandage that is applied in the hospital costs 400% more that it did just 10 years ago?(speculation there i know but really)
DisneyWorld prices have gone up several times faster than the rate of inflation in recent years. It is not a typical company in this respect.

Rob562

And this pic sure illustrates that they are planning to bury quite a bit of what appears to be electrical conduit inside the hub.

Lots of lighting, water fountain controls and sound circuitry to go in, not to mention the network cabling for the FP+ viewing areas' entry scanners.

-Rob

dstrawn9889

and all the valve controls for the sprinklers and misters and drip irrigation for each planter bed, and 120v for outlets for maintnance and/or christmas/halloween decorations...endless amount of underground utilities. as for FP+ scanners... 120v and a single cat5e in a raceway is not really a big deal...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom