Main st paving

Sassagoula-Rvr

Original Poster
So I thought I had heard a rumor at one point that Main Street is actually graded slightly so that you are funelled out of the park easier or something. (graded down hill going out just slightly.) Does anyone know the validity of this??

Thanks!

jmmoriarty

Yes this is true its one of those awesome Imagineering details that most people don't notice....... Main Street is at a constant grade incline all the way to the castle, also the buildings on main street are not to scale and are shorter, they are done this way to give a real "POP" when you see the castle.

Main Street is also elevated because when you get there in the morning its not that hard to walk up the incline, but when you leave at night tired, your actually walking downhill.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Original Poster
Yes this is true its one of those awesome Imagineering details that most people don't notice....... Main Street is at a constant grade incline all the way to the castle, also the buildings on main street are not to scale and are shorter, they are done this way to give a real "POP" when you see the castle.

Main Street is also elevated because when you get there in the morning its not that hard to walk up the incline, but when you leave at night tired, your actually walking downhill.

thanks! I thought I had heard something to that effect...I'm an imagineering junkie...love to read all the books...and want to do something in imagineering or Industrial Engineering at Disney for a career!...but I know it is a long road to get there.

Rob562

It may also just be a coincidental "feature" of them having to grade the road upward to get the street high enough to go over the Hub waterways...
I believe the uphill grade ends at the first bridge over the waterway, just past Casey's.

It's also true that you're walking uphill from the boat docks up until you get to the Train Station, but that's mostly to get on top of the Utilidors. When you're down by the water in front of the MK, you're close to being at Utilidor level.

-Rob

Khristina

Its slightly graded upwards cos underneath disney is tunnels for cast members to get around without being seen!!!! U can go on a tour to see the tunnels!!! Walt Disney came up with the idea that there should be tunnels after he saw a cowboy going tho tommorrowland to his post in fortirland! :p

WDW Vacationer

Its slightly graded upwards cos underneath disney is tunnels for cast members to get around without being seen!!!! U can go on a tour to see the tunnels!!! Walt Disney came up with the idea that there should be tunnels after he saw a cowboy going tho tommorrowland to his post in fortirland! :p

:rolleyes:

WDW Vacationer

Forget where (might have been the Hidden Magic of Disney book I have been reading), but I definitely have read that walt was irked by seeing cast members from certain lands walking around other lands in Disneyland. So there is some truth in that.
Yes,the old cowboy in TL. I know everything in the post is fact...it is the writing style.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom