magnetron closing

rustysgirl

Original Poster
not sure if this is posted somewhere else or not, if so, my apologies. just wanted to share that according to orlando attractions magazine, magnetron, the store in downtown disney's west side is closing at the end of september :cry: not sure if anyone else really cares (at least as much as i do cuz i loved it) haha but just wanted to share that in case no one knew.

o and the article also says that Blink by Wet Seal will replace magnetron, sunglass icon will go through a remodel & Apricot Lane will open in pleasure island.

nemofinder22

Interesting thanks for the heads up! I always liked looking inside but I never bought anything well I got a doughnut magnet has a gift everyone loves it! but I only need one.

BLINK by Wet Seal also opened up at DLR's DTD in April as a "pop up" shop, it replaced the Anne Geddes flagship

jt04

Excellent news. Magnetron was one of those shops that always felt like 'filler' for lack of a better word. Seems like they are announcing changes right before the previous announcement opens now as the changes are speeding up. From what I understand the new shop called Apricot Lane opens in just a week or two and I would imagine this new store won't take long at all to open.

BTW, the artwork released for HW always showed the buildings still standing on the former PI as part of the plan. Since permits were just filed for work in these buildings rather than demo it does not indicate any major change to what was or is planned for HW. They were never going to be razed as that seems to have been only a rumor. Just an observation. For all I know the permits may mean they intend to demolish them soon after prep work now. So all the celebrating could turn into doom for some. Someone could write a book for all the twists and turns in this saga. :lol:

jwarren3768

...the description for this store was always better sounding than it was actually in reality...

Too true. I may have actually walked into the store once, looked around, and left. I'm sure there is some store simply dying to take over that prime real estate.

The MBA in me has always sort of puzzled at the whole concept of these low cost item, niche type stores and how they can expect to survive (much less profit) in areas that have to have tremendous overhead costs. I mean, i get it if you have a pretty diverse inventory (World of Mickey), or sell really high end stuff (like Arraba), but selling $10 trinkets.... meh.

J.

Sassagoula

It was pretty tacky, I admit, but I always loved browsing in there. Sad to see it go.

After a quick search, it seems like Blink is all denim -- is that right? Seems a little too everyday and average to be at DTD.

ddrongowski

Well then....

I guess the voucher from my disney package for a free item from Magnatron will not work, since I will be there after September.:shrug:

raiden

Okay then. are they doing to DTD? Nobody goes there for crappy clothing stores. I am happy to say these filler stores will close down just like they the ones they were replaced with in the not so distant future. We want unique Disney stores and experiences. If I'm going to buy a shirt at DTD it's going to be a Disney shirt.

sadly the future of DTD = FC

yoda_5729

It is too bad, as Magnetron was a fun store at DTD, and that's really what Disney was all about. All the different shapes and sizes of merchandise, it will be missed. I must admit, I don't find clothing stores much of an option at DTD, because as another poster mentioned, if people buy clothes at WDW, it's usually Disney related.

My dad collected magnets there, so we always did business with them, too bad they won't be open when we go down this Christmas, I'll miss the shop. :(

NMBC1993

Well it's no big deal for me, they closed my favorite DTD location 3 years ago. But I will miss seeing the giant magnet out front.

COProgressFan

I always thought Magnetron was way too, well, tacky, for DTD....:eek:

I agree, I always thought this was a very tacky store too, more suitable for a boardwalk or small amusement park than DTD.

Beyond that, I could never fathom how this place stayed in business so long, given the exorbitant rents Disney charges their tenants, no matter how high the profit margin is on cheap magnets. I never would have expected this place to last so long.

Rlevy33663

Tacky?

I understand that people thought Magnetron didn't fit in Downtown, but they're replacing it with Wet Seal which makes me think of the mall circa '95. Not sure I like this as a replacement...

sublimesting

Magnatron open and magnatron closed:

G1Megatron_toy.jpg

devoy1701

I understand that people thought Magnetron didn't fit in Downtown, but they're replacing it with Wet Seal which makes me think of the mall circa '95. Not sure I like this as a replacement...

My thoughts exactly...

so now we have two new Ladies stores...Wet Seal and Apricot Lane.

They sure are making a destination out of DTD for me! :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom