MagicBand costs offsite guests $15

71jason

Original Poster

Tom

Beta Return
If true, this does not separate guests into any additional "classes" than before. Disney resort hotel guests get free parking, access to Extra Magic Hours, and the privilege to make ADRs at 180+10. All things that day guests do not get.

No matter how you look at it (paying more to stay on property, or paying cash for a Magic Band), you're buying benefits and privileges.

Innkeeper's Club

I agree with everything Tom has already said.

I would also include that there are different sets of "classes" for guests who stay onsite. WDW already has resort categories such as Value, Moderate, & Deluxe. Plus with the Deluxe Resorts guests staying at them can choose to pay for more Club Level service.

Let's not also forget there is Disney Vacation Club which is not for everyone and is very expensive to join.

BigTxEars

I see nothing wrong with it, staying on site should get someone some perks. This is just one more. Disney is a business, they are there to make money. People staying on property is good for their bottom line therefore they reward it with perks to encourage it. Simple, plain and perfectly fair and logical.

This whole mentality that some folks ( not finger poiniting at all to anyone on here) have that everyone should be treated perfectly equal at all times is the slippery slope in my opinion.

I am staying on property, but if I was not I would pay my parking, buy my magic band and move it on.

Last edited:

Thumper14

I am staying at the not-really-a-Disney-Resort Swan hotel. Mainly because I like the Epcot resorts and saw a great deal thru Costco Travel. I was very disappointed learning I would not get a Magic Band. I will gladly buy one for $15 and will probably spend even more on Band-its. I will still save major bucks on my vacation. I can get over the MDE resort linking issue and advanced FP+.

My 33 anniversary will be magical!   

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The article states that the bands will cost $15, but the use of FP+ is still free.

Daily guests will be using MyMagic+ soon, said Jim MacPhee, senior vice president of Walt Disney World Parks. They will have the option to buy a MagicBand for about $15.

There is no charge for FastPass+ reservations.

The bottom line is if you have tickets in advance, you will be able to make FP+ reservations just like a resort guest or AP holder and redeem them with the new RFID ticket medium. The only difference is if you want the band, you will have to pony up the cash.

So not tiers, no world coming to the end, just Disney being able to sell yet another item you don't really need at a 1000% mark up.

officialtom

Disney resort guests should get additional perks -- no argument there. We stay on property solely for the perks like the bus transportation, water taxis, the dining plan (wee see huge value in it, even though some people debate it), and the A+++++++ service from the resort CMs. Disney resorts can't be beat.

However, I think charging $15 for the magic bands is a bit excessive. Ticket prices are high enough that they should include whatever ticket "mechanism" is the current fad.

MeandMickey

Well I can see the MagicBand black market opening any minute. AP holders and past onsite guests will be selling them on some site and people will be scooping them up left and right. I am pretty sure that once they are deactivated from one persons MM+ account they can then use the band number to update on a new account. Kind of like a hotel key card if/when you return it to the front desk. Could be wrong, but the technology sounds the same just on a band. Even better (or worse), I can see people buying multiple used bands and loading FP+ with fictitious accounts to them and reselling them to people who don't want to plan out their day but will pay for someone else to get FP+ time slots. Kinda sounds like the people who were paid to be "tour guides" using the guest assistance card might have another opportunity to scam the system. Just sayin. o_O

lostpro9het

...Kind of like a hotel key card if/when you return it to the front desk. Could be wrong, but the technology sounds the same just on a band. Even better (or worse),...
Except that either Disney cant or wont figure out how to reactivate a band for an existing user, let alone a different user. 3 of the bands we have were deactivated before we even arrived at the resort. They gave us three new bands saying "We cant reactivate them once they've been deactivated". So you may be putting to much faith in Disney IT, an easy mistake if you've never used anything IT related by Disney, just plain garbage.

lostpro9het

Forgive my ignorance as I still don't completely understand this whole system, but, if off site guests can still access fastpass+ then why get a band?
36550440.jpg

rob0519

We always stay on site so I never really thought about this, but, if a guest stays off site and doesn't use or carry a smart phone, and won't pay $15 for a band ,what is the physical mechanism (ticket,card,etc) that is used at the kiosks and scanners?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We always stay on site so I never really thought about this, but, if a guest stays off site and doesn't use or carry a smart phone, and won't pay $15 for a band ,what is the physical mechanism (ticket,card,etc) that is used at the kiosks and scanners?
RFID ticket.

Redhawk

So off-site guests get a Magic Band, but it's not tied to a resort, so they can't use it for charging privileges or to open their room door. It's only for admission and advance FPs, right? Plus of course the great thrill of customizing it and wearing it and buying Band-its and all that rot.

So you're paying $15 for access to advance FP picks. I guess if you're staying 3 or more days it's not a bad price.

UncleMike101

I see nothing wrong with it, staying on site should get someone some perks. This is just one more. Disney is a business, they are there to make money. People staying on property is good for their bottom line therefore they reward it with perks to encourage it. Simple, plain and perfectly fair and logical.

This whole mentality that some folks ( not finger poiniting at all to anyone on here) have that everyone should be treated perfectly equal at all times is the slippery slope in my opinion.

I am staying on property, but if I was not I would pay my parking, buy my magic band and move it on.
Agreed.....
If everyone were equal we'd all have reserved suites at the Grand Floridian and the Platinum Dining Plan.
For as long as we want to stay.
Free!!!
Since that's not the case, adjustments to our wants & wishes lists need to be made.
That's just a fact of life and it will never change.
Like I've said before. "Life's full of hard lessons".
Those that learn the lessons and adapt will be happy.
Those that don't, won't.......

ParentsOf4

Please recall that hotel guests can book 60 days before arrival. Annual pass holders can book 30 days in advance.

What exactly does someone paying $15 for a MagicBand receive? 60 days? 30 days? Something else?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom