MagicBand costs offsite guests $15

Redhawk

So I just checked the Disney Store online and they have the Nightmare bandits I was thinking of. All three glow in the dark. And they're $16. So that's $31 for a MB and one set of bandits. Say the family is staying off-site but the two kids each want a band and a set of bandits, and then the parents get bands for themselves because they want to be alike as a family. That's $92 (+ tax!) for a bracelet, some bling, and the ability to select 3 advance FPs per day (and remember, those FPs are "free").

Don't tell me that folks aren't going to buy these because we know how Disney merch moves, especially once the family gets in the parks.

Maybe they'll recoup those billions spent on MM+ sooner than we think.

P.S. I guess if the family in my example wants to save money, the parents could stick with RFID cards and talk the kids into sharing/splitting one pack of bandits (some packs have 3 bandits, others have 4) and bring the cost down to ~$46. Good luck with that, mom and dad!

Last edited:

cw1982

So I just checked the Disney Store online and they have the Nightmare bandits I was thinking of. All three glow in the dark. And they're $16. So that's $31 for a MB and one set of bandits. Say the family is staying off-site but the two kids each want a band and a set of bandits, and then the parents get bands for themselves because they want to be alike as a family. That's $92 (+ tax!) for a bracelet, some bling, and the ability to select 3 advance FPs per day (and remember, those FPs are "free").

Don't tell me that folks aren't going to buy these because we know how Disney merch moves, especially once the family gets in the parks.

Maybe they'll recoup those billions spent on MM+ sooner than we think.

P.S. I guess if the family in my example wants to save money, the parents could stick with RFID cards and talk the kids into sharing/splitting one pack of bandits (some packs have 3 bandits, others have 4) and bring the cost down to ~$46. Good luck with that, mom and dad!

I'm on the Disney Store website now and don't see them anywhere... I tried searching accessories, jewelry, toys, and even typed "bandits" in the search feature... nothing. Odd...

Redhawk

I'm on the Disney Store website now and don't see them anywhere... I tried searching accessories, jewelry, toys, and even typed "bandits" in the search feature... nothing. Odd...
Oops, sorry! I wasn't paying attention. I just Googled "Disney Magic Band bandits" and found a "Disney store" but it's not the official store. Perhaps in WDW the bandits don't cost $16. I thought that was higher than I remembered. They may cost about $7 in the Disney parks. The ones I see online may or may not be authentic, but they look like the ones I saw at WDW.

cw1982

Oops, sorry! I wasn't paying attention. I just Googled "Disney Magic Band bandits" and found a "Disney store" but it's not the official store. Perhaps in WDW the bandits don't cost $16. I thought that was higher than I remembered. They may cost about $7 in the Disney parks. The ones I see online may or may not be authentic, but they look like the ones I saw at WDW.

Gotcha! I was just curious because I hadn't heard of these before this thread, so I figured maybe I wasn't looking in the right spot or that maybe I had misspelled their name, etc... off to Google I go ;)

Rob562

Thanks Rob! Any idea of when the long range RFID will be used? And how??

I was thinking that it would be 30 days too - seems fair :)

Would be nicer if the MBs were customised and shipped - do they ship them to the UK??

We're going in August - would you say that paying $15 each for MBs is worth it?

Disney will not ship them outside of the U.S.

I would not buy them if I had to pay for it.

Right now the only real known way that the long-distance capabilities are going to be used is some kind of interactive feature in the "goodbye" room at Small World. They installed flat-panel TV's within the signs many months ago, but have yet to use them. It's presumed that they'll wish people goodbye by name, or perhaps show some kind of customized small world doll.

There are also readers that can read a Band as you pass on some attractions and automatically link the on-ride photo to all of the Bands it read for that car. The first I heard about doing that is Space Mountain.

-Rob

WDWFantasmicFan

Oh - thats a shame that they don't ship outside of the U.S. :(

The long range RFID for ride photos sounds good - Am I right in thinking that you only get ride photos for free if you have Memory Maker though?

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

The long range RFID for ride photos sounds good - Am I right in thinking that you only get ride photos for free if you have Memory Maker though?

True and I believe at one time MagicBands were supposed to be included with any photo package, this may have changed though.

Rob562

The most likely reasons I've read online have to do with shipping costs, but also with rules and laws on technology. The Bands actively transmit a radio signal (the long-distance RFID system). Disney only worked to get clearance for it in the U.S. and thus could, as the "manufacturer", potentially be violating the laws of another country by knowingly shipping them overseas to a country where the technology hasn't been approved.

As for the photos, they should still link to your MDE profile where you can buy them individually, but if you want to get a lot of them, the Memory Maker option is your best choice.

-Rob

WDWFantasmicFan

If the MBs were available to pre-order and customize, would you pick them up from the parks when you arrive?

We were thinking of buying the memory maker package anyway, as we would like to create photobooks, and get the images printed. Last trip in 2012, without ride photos etc., we had more than 200 photo-pass photos taken!

I'll have to keep an eye out for info about more long-range RFID ride photo integration, to see if it is worth getting the MB's or not... Have you ever linked ride photos to your MDE profile? Does it take long? And is it easy?

wogwog

36550440.jpg
To please the Iger.

MeandMickey

Sorry to respond so late, I was in the World for a nice visit. The only park that seemed overly crowded was Animal Kingdom. Almost like they were giving away tickets to that place yesterday. Anyway, our annual passes were purchased separately from each other and have different renewal dates. Just worked out that way. We have been able to "fool" the biometrics system numerous times without any castmember questioning it. My dad tries it every time with my moms ticket/band and always shouts "Didn't work!". He seems to take great joy in that although I am not sure why.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom