MagicBand+ announced

Indy_UK

Be interested in one for my son so that if we do find ourselves with 'time to kill' we can use the features of this but will only get one at the cheaper pre-arrival price

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm sure this creator will have an updated 'skin' for the new MB soon enough. I've used the service before to create my own designs. So, if there isn't a design you like, you can easily personalize it...

I am not affiliated with them.

Tha Realest

Just FYI - heard from a CM trained in MB+ that they are reminding/stressing to guests that after buying one you will really need to fully charge it (they come partially charged but need to be 60% charged to fully work) and will need to do a software update.

Also, everyone will need their own Play Disney account to keep track of progress (with the statues, bounty hunter, etc) - so if your kids want to track their individual progress they will need their own account
Uggh. I was mildly interested in this but going to hard pass on this.

Tha Realest

Just FYI - heard from a CM trained in MB+ that they are reminding/stressing to guests that after buying one you will really need to fully charge it (they come partially charged but need to be 60% charged to fully work) and will need to do a software update.
"C'mon kids! We're going to be late for the bus."

"Hang on dad. It says something about our MagicBands needing a firmware update. It's been stuck at 25% for a few minutes now."

Patcheslee

When it says to pair the band to our device, can multiple bands be paired to a single device at the same time? I'm the only one that carries a phone in the parks.

Tha Realest

When it says to pair the band to our device, can multiple bands be paired to a single device at the same time? I'm the only one that carries a phone in the parks.
I hadn't thought of that. Using Apple Watch and other device syncs as a reference point, my guess is...no?

Have to think that's going to be a problem. We don't have separate phones for our kids, so would make MB+ a non-starter (with a multitude of other reasons) for us.

Patcheslee

I hadn't thought of that. Using Apple Watch and other device syncs as a reference point, my guess is...no?

Have to think that's going to be a problem. We don't have separate phones for our kids, so would make MB+ a non-starter (with a multitude of other reasons) for us.
Yeah, that's what would prohibit us from purchasing as well. We have months until vacation, so plenty of time to get sorted. Unless we see the same supply issues as MB now.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Prediction: It will sell out immediately and not be available for months afterwards due to "supply chain issues" then it will quickly be forgotten about and you will never see it again.

Why?

Because it is stupid idea dreamt up by marketing idiots to appeal to people who like kitschy things that flash and vibrate.

Jahona

From the microsite for MagicBand+ it mentions in the app you can "Adjust your managed Guests’ MagicBand+ settings, check battery status and more!"

So I expect you can pair multiple bands per phone as long as the guest is managed by your account.

If it's using Bluetooth for connections I don't see why it couldn't pair multiple devices at once.

TheMaxRebo

For tracking the progress (so how many 50th statues you visit, the Boy ty Hunter stuff, etc) everyone will need their own Play Disney account which I think means everyone will need the own phone - at least for the full functionality

One reason I think we will get one for my family and sort of use it together vs everyone getting one (two of my kids don't even have a phone)

RememberWhen

Wait. My 5yo shouldn’t need her own account….

If my kids can link under me (I manager them in MDE) but they’re in the park with their other parent, would that mean the bands won’t “work”?

I wish there were a few more details…

Tha Realest

For tracking the progress (so how many 50th statues you visit, the Boy ty Hunter stuff, etc) everyone will need their own Play Disney account which I think means everyone will need the own phone - at least for the full functionality

One reason I think we will get one for my family and sort of use it together vs everyone getting one (two of my kids don't even have a phone)
I think that's right. I guess, technically, you could sign in and out of each account to do the initial sync, but I think to have full functionality it would need to be tethered to the app running on a device

Ayla

While I definitely get your point, the idea is that if enough people have these, you won't have to look at your arm, you'll see the extra lighting effects all through the crowd. That was the idea behind the Glow with the Show items at Disneyland, which I loved. Only problem is getting enough people to use them. If you look up the GwtS promotional video, it looks amazing. But you never saw that many people using it in practice. I'm hoping that since this is worked into something most WDW will get for their trip anyway, we'll see more people opting for MB+ over MB, and get some cool added effects to the night shows.
So you'll have to watch *someone else's* arm instead of your own. Got it.

Ayla

Also, everyone will need their own Play Disney account to keep track of progress (with the statues, bounty hunter, etc) - so if your kids want to track their individual progress they will need their own account
Nope.

Furiated

So you'll have to watch *someone else's* arm instead of your own. Got it.

Yes and no. When Glow with the Show debuted, it was just ears. So you literally never saw the effects from your own device, because they were on your head. They expanded to add stuff like wands and gloves, so even if no one around you had GwtS devices, you could still see your own items reacting. So ideally, lots of other people will have them, and you won't have to look directly at someone else's arm, you'll just see the glowing effects in the crowd while you're watching the show. But if there's nobody around with them, you'd still see the effects on your own device.

You seem pretty dead set against these, which is fine. I'm excited for the potential, but I understand all the reasons that people will look at these and say Yeah, not for me.

Ayla

Yes and no. When Glow with the Show debuted, it was just ears. So you literally never saw the effects from your own device, because they were on your head. They expanded to add stuff like wands and gloves, so even if no one around you had GwtS devices, you could still see your own items reacting. So ideally, lots of other people will have them, and you won't have to look directly at someone else's arm, you'll just see the glowing effects in the crowd while you're watching the show. But if there's nobody around with them, you'd still see the effects on your own device.

You seem pretty dead set against these, which is fine. I'm excited for the potential, but I understand all the reasons that people will look at these and say Yeah, not for me.
It's yet another example of disney investing tons of money in something that doesn't matter, doesn't improve the customer's experience and doesn't address any of their current problems. It's a shiny thing to distract people from those issues.

Tha Realest

It's yet another example of disney investing tons of money in something that doesn't matter, doesn't improve the customer's experience and doesn't address any of their current problems. It's a shiny thing to distract people from those issues.
Yes but it helps their data-mining operations which in turn will help them make more money from us instead of building new attractions.

Furiated

I like stuff like this. If you want to make the argument that before investing in MB+ they should fix the Yeti, add capacity to the parks, hire more staff, etc, then I'm with you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom