Magical Express won't check a bag.

SilentWindODoom

Original Poster
I don't know where to post this. If this should go in trip reports, let me know.

We're currently in the Yacht Club packing everything but when my dad went down to the front desk. He was told that one of us was randomly chosen to not receive the benefit of check in at the resort. I've never heard of this happening before, and it seems ludicrous that they would randomly chose someone to not receive the promised service. Everything has kind of received a wrench in the works as now we'll have a long wait to check in at MCO in the middle of our escape.

Is this common practice? Has anyone ever witnessed this happening before? What's the thinking behind the practice?

rt06

It's not Disney's decision.

These random checks are not for your safety, they are to ward off accusations of profiling. That 9/11 Security Fee on your ticket is just a reminder that we are at war, and a search of granny's wheelchair will determine who's winning.

And for a non-refundable $85 fee, the TSA will do a thorough background check on you to determine whether or not you get to keep your shoes on. Which begs the question: Why don't they do this with everyone?

JIMINYCR

Grrrrrr... TSA gets to do what they want and we suffer the consequences. Too bad it fell on you and put a damper on your trip. Yeah we are made to feel safer and probably are to some extent but boy they do go overboard at times and we cant object.

PrincessNelly_NJ

o_O
Never heard of that either but I guess it is common.
It never fails that on my flight home from Disney, TSA searches my luggage.
I never understood why. I don't buy souvenirs, but no matter who I travel with, every time I open my suitcase and find the note that says due to blah..blah..blah TSA safety blah.. your luggage was pulled for a security check. But no one else in my party ever has it happen to them.
I wish they would at least fold my clothes back instead of just jamming them back into the suitcase! :hilarious:

SilentWindODoom

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Fortunately things are going well enough. I wish this possibility were explained more somewhere. I couldn't find it when I tried to search the internet. Does anything Disney explain that this is a possibility?

Goofyernmost

Grrrrrr... TSA gets to do what they want and we suffer the consequences. Too bad it fell on you and put a damper on your trip. Yeah we are made to feel safer and probably are to some extent but boy they do go overboard at times and we cant object.
Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. I'd rather feel that they are doing their job then fly into a building or blow up in the sky. It's a shame that the world is the way it is, but there you have it. Small violent groups control our emotions and our lives.

Thanks guys. Fortunately things are going well enough. I wish this possibility were explained more somewhere. I couldn't find it when I tried to search the internet. Does anything Disney explain that this is a possibility?
All checks are random unless they see something that causes suspicion. The computer generates who gets checked and who walks through, for the most part. Disney shouldn't have to explain something that has been practically a fact of life for the past 13 years, and especially in light of current activity of a very violent and vicious sect.

rt06

Victor Kelly

I always make sure to put dirty laundry in the suitcase. Friend of mine told me about a neat trick about making sure that when they inspect your bag with you present.

I really want to fill a bag with adult toys just for giggles. Yes I am that evil.

Victor Kelly

Pack a flare gun, and only a flare gun. You declare it to the ticket agent. If TSA wishes to search your bag, they have to page you. You must be present to open the suitcase. You cannot touch it other than that. They are not allowed to open it due to federal firearms transportation laws.

It works very very well.

CaptainShortty

This would have come from TSA and not Disney. It's rare, but it does happen. So, yes, you'll need to go to the airline check-in desk at MCO instead of straight to security, unfortunately.

This is correct. It's not Disney or DME, it's TSA. They do do it every once in a while.

stevehousse

Pack a flare gun, and only a flare gun. You declare it to the ticket agent. If TSA wishes to search your bag, they have to page you. You must be present to open the suitcase. You cannot touch it other than that. They are not allowed to open it due to federal firearms transportation laws.

It works very very well.
Ya no thanks we don't do guns of any kind in our home...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom