Magical Express vs. rental car

MainSt1993

My friends and I are planning a trip to WDW soon, and I'm torn on renting a car or taking ME and using resort transportation. We're either going to stay at the Poly or AKL. What are the pluses/minuses?

Chase24

My friends and I are planning a trip to WDW soon, and I'm torn on renting a car or taking ME and using resort transportation. We're either going to stay at the Poly or AKL. What are the pluses/minuses?

Just back and we rented a car for the entire trip. Never again. The time wasted driving, waiting on the tram, waiting on the boat or monorail, extra walking in the parking lot if you were lucky enough :lookaroun to be at the wrong end of the row. The bus takes you to the front door, and takes you home and you do not get the adventure of driving around if you miss a turn. The only wait is for the bus, and in the past was not that bad, except at closing and even that was better than my car experience. And, you can rent a car for a day onsite if you need it.

Have fun and leave the driving to Disney.

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

If you stay at the Poly I don't think there really is a need to rent a car. Unless maybe you are planning on traveling offsite. The Poly is located on the monorail so you can take it to the MK and to Epcot. You will only need to take a bus to MGM and Animal Kingdom. I personally don't think it is worth the extra money to rent a car. I just returned from Disney and I found their transportation to be really reliable. You just have to plan ahead and allow enough time especially if you have dining reservations.

Happy Holidays!! :xmas:

Upvote 0

FBullock

Up until our trip this past October, we'd always rented a car. In Oct., because we only got to do 5 days, we did Magic Express. We were at Carb. Beach. We got to the hotel, checked and to the park fast than if we had rented a car. Our luggage was there that night when we got back from the parks. Remember to take stuff for immediate needs in carry on as your luggage may be a few hours (3+/-) after your plane lanes. Not a problem for us.

Wife & I really enjoyed the buses. Getting to talk to and listen to everybody talking about thier day & experiences really is interesting. I've been to WDW many times (I live in OH) and know go twice a year but I still about stuff I haven't seen or experienced yet. We're empty-nesters and enjoy watching the childrens faces and they get ready to go the park and see Micky or thier favorite character.

Why spent a couple hundred bucks on a car when you can get all this on ME. I'm a major supporter after years of supporting the rental car business at MCO>

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

I just want to add that we used Magical Express and it was wonderful because when we arrived at MCO we could go straight to the bus and not have to wait for all of our luggage, double stroller, and golf clubs. We are a family of five with three children so we had a lot of luggage! It did take exactly three hours for it to actually arrive at our room, but it didn't matter because after we checked in we went to dinner @ our resort. So if you do decide to use Magical Express make sure you have what you need on you because you won't have access to your luggage for a bit. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

MainSt1993

Original Poster
After hearing all this, I think I'd have a hard time justifying a car if we stay at the Poly. However if we're at AKL, does that change anyone's mind? Do resort guests pay for parking at each of the theme parks?

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

I'm actually the opposite. We've tried both several times and this last time we decided we're always going to have a rental car from now on. A few reasons:

- You never have to worry about the massive wait for a bus at park close. That can be BIG TIME frustrating, especially if you've got little ones that are worn out.

- There are some places that are just down right a PAIN to get between using Disney transportation. Direct routes aren't always possible. This can take a lot of time to get where you're going. For example, resort to resort. MAJOR pain. And if you're on the Dining Plan, some of the best hidden gem restaurants are in resorts. Get me from Wilderness Lodge to the Beach Club for dinner at Yachtsman's using Disney transport. Better budget an hour at LEAST. With a car, it's 10 minutes.

- Magical Express is great for going TO your resort... But you have to leave your resort HOURS before your flight when the trip is over, picking up people at multiple resorts. We're the type that squeezes out every minute we can, and we like to head to the airport as close to our flight time as is safely possible.

- We like to park hop quite a bit. We're usually there for 10 days, so about 5 days in, we'll just hit a few favorites in a park, then head to another. With your own car, you can usually buzz in and out of parks quickly, and don't have to wait for a bus to pick you up.

- If you want to do anything off-site (Sea World, Pirate Golf, go to the beach for a day) you can't do it without a car. Not easily, anyway.

That being said, when we have a car, we don't ALWAYS use it everywhere we go. It's based on what we're doing that day, and where we're staying. If we're at Poly, there's no way I drive to MK or Epcot. There's nothing better than the Monorail. But if I'm staying at Poly and I want to get to AK??? I'm hoppin' in the minivan. Staying at Port Orleans and going to Downtown Disney? I'm taking the boat, just because it's different and fun.

Edit: Parking at the parks is free to resort guests.
Anyway, hope this helps! :wave:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

After hearing all this, I think I'd have a hard time justifying a car if we stay at the Poly. However if we're at AKL, does that change anyone's mind? Do resort guests pay for parking at each of the theme parks?
Parking is free to WDW resort guests. DH always prefers to rent a car, and actually I'm inclined to agree with him. With the exception of MK, to me it's much easier to just drive back to your resort, rather than standing in line waiting for the bus, then more than likely standing on the bus all the way back to your hotel. I really have issues with the safety of the busses the way people are packed into them. JMHO

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

If we were staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge I still don't think I would rent a car. The year we did rent a car I do believe we did pay for parking at the theme parks, but I am not 100%. I do remember driving around forever to try to find a parking spot and then we had to wait for the tram to take us to the gate. At the resort we had to find parking also, and sometimes we had to park far and it was a little bit of a walk back. You could also valet your car but that cost money & a tip too. I just don't think it is worth it. I say take advantage of the free Disney transportation, just plan for enough time.

Upvote 0

TTFN-Tiggger

I have been to Disney many times and for my last trip I did not rent a car for the first time. I can say this is how I will travel to Disney from now on!! I used the cash to pay for a few character meals instead. I truly enjoyed not having to worry about driving, parking, having directions, etc. And for the activites off Disney(if there are any) I will use a cab or rent a car for a day. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

pacochran

Depends on what you want to do. Generally if you are planning on staying your whole trip on WDW property I don't feel you need it.

We stayed at AKL in November and had a rented car because part of our vacation we were staying off property, but while on property we only used it twice and that was to go off property. We found the buses great, and not a problem.

Normally when we go we rent a car for one day to get to the resort and one day to get back to the airport. But the reason we do this is we stay in the BCV, and usually go to the local grocery store to buy some food. As well it is a tradition that on the way from the airport, before we go to the resort we like to stop at the Outlets and especially the Character Outlet to start our souvenir shopping.

We also like it for leaving as we can't leave when we want and not have to be ready to go to the airport a real long time before our flight because that is when ME is picking people up at the resort.

Upvote 0

davewasbaloo

Hmmmm tricky one. If you are staying at the Poly or are only planning on park days, I would use DME. If you are planning on checking out resorts or going off site, you may wish to rent a car.

We just got back from 2 weeks at AKL and loved the place. But the bus service was a joke (this is something that is better in Paris, unbelievable!!!!). 40 -50 minute waits. A bus breakdown. One day 4 MK buses arrived and picked up a handful of passengers while about 30 of us waited for a bus to the Studios. In the end, we started to take cabs on the last few days (btw - Minivan cabs have baby seats!!!).

It's all down to how you like to do it. DME itself was excellent though.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Just back and we rented a car for the entire trip. Never again. The time wasted driving, waiting on the tram, waiting on the boat or monorail, extra walking in the parking lot if you were lucky enough :lookaroun to be at the wrong end of the row. The bus takes you to the front door, and takes you home and you do not get the adventure of driving around if you miss a turn. The only wait is for the bus, and in the past was not that bad, except at closing and even that was better than my car experience. And, you can rent a car for a day onsite if you need it.

Have fun and leave the driving to Disney.

I couldnt agree more!!!! I dont think renting a car for the entire stay is worth it to me as for the most part I Am at WDW every minute I can!!!
I do agree with renting a car onsite for the Car Care Center for a day trip or two.
As far as getting back to the airport, The DME bus picks you up about 3 hours prior to your flight time ( Make sure that your flight numbers dont change though, this happened to us and caused a bit of havoc timewise in my last trip but that was the airline's fault, not DME) As the drive takes at least 1/2 hour ( Approx.) and you are supposed to be at the airport at least 2 hours prior to flight time it doesnt sound too unreasonable. Also there is a nice Macaroni Grill for dinner prior to your flight in the airport now!!! Belle

Upvote 0

fredtom

We never rent a car at WDW. Unless you plan to venture off property, there is no need for one. When I'm on vacation, I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle of driving and parking, etc. We love the convenience of taking DME, and DisneyTranport is a reliable and convenient system. There's always some nice person driving a bus, boat or monorail who will take you where you want to go. You may have to practice some patience when waiting at times and trips may take longer depending on your destination, but it beats having to drive yourself and saves the expense. :brick:

Have fun and enjoy your Disney vacation.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

Upvote 0

Becky

- You never have to worry about the massive wait for a bus at park close.

But you might have to wait 2-3 trams to get to your car. It sort of evens out.

I rented a car for years but lately I think half the people driving on property are asleep at the wheel. I perfer to let the bus dirver worry about them.

Free beats $250-$400 for a rental car. If you want to go off property for a day or two you can rent for that period of time for half what the week would cost.

I've used a cab a couple of times to get from my hotel to diner or a character breakfast when I wanted to be sure I made it in time. With tip both times it was under $10.

All that said it really comes to what works best for you. A car does give you more freedom. DME just takes off the dom.:animwink:

Upvote 0

Lynne M

I always rented a car. When ME started, I decided to give it a try, and have not rented since.

Yes, there are some places that it's a pain to get to via WDW transportation (i.e., resort to resort). The way I look at it, if I'm saving about $140 by not renting a car, I can take cabs when I need to go to a resort, and still come out way ahead. The most I've ever paid for a cab at WDW was $15 from Pop to VWL.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

We always use Disney transportation. Even allowing for having to wait for a bus sometimes, it actually adds to the Disney experience- like you never leave it and return to the normal world. You stay inside Disney.
Have fun.
:animwink:

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Is there? Huh... when I first heard of MG, I looked up the website and could have sworn there weren't any around. I'll check it out again, thanks =)

*edit - Just looked it up again, and there is one there! I'll have to convince the boy to make a trip to Warwick with me.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom