News Magical Express to pickup 4 hours before flight departure time due to new security measures

Kevin_W

How bad is the PreCheck line?

We where there 3-4 weeks ago, Precheck took ~5 minutes. Our flight was delayed, so we went to the Priority Pass lounge. I twas in concourse 4 and our flight was in concourse 3, so we had to go through security twice, it wasn't bad either time.

(Although it was annoying that you cannot get from concourse 3 to 4 without leaving security.)

YodaMan

When I went through MCO in mid October they were being incredibly thorough with going through any and all food. Whether it was open or pre-packaged they had to check it all, and there were no signs or indications that they were being that thorough with food until you got to the belt. The line was physically fairly short but still took an incredibly long time to go through.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I think that we were so quick because we travel with very little in our hand luggage. Just cameras and medicines plus book/kindle.

MrHappy

I think that we were so quick because we travel with very little in our hand luggage. Just cameras and medicines plus book/kindle.
You still need to leave 4 hrs early no matter how light you travel. Might as well pack it in if you do Magic Express.
I rent cars when I'm there, and the light and nimble strategy - even as a fam of 5 - helps get me in and out very quickly though.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
You still need to leave 4 hrs early no matter how light you travel. Might as well pack it in if you do Magic Express.
I rent cars when I'm there, and the light and nimble strategy - even as a fam of 5 - helps get me in and out very quickly though.
We have always had a c ar (except one year when there was a driving license fiasco)

the.dreamfinder

this is why we never use DME back to the airport from our resort...always a towncar and probably Uber this time. Those extra 2 hours at the parks are worth it.
That’s really smart. SWA elminated their later nonstop flights to PHL, atm 3:45pm is the latest you can get. That park time is really valuable.

Of course they won’t, but a maglev monorail shuttle between MCO and WDW would be nice. You could leave for the airport 90-120 minutes before your flight.:eek:

ABQ

this is why we never use DME back to the airport from our resort...always a towncar and probably Uber this time. Those extra 2 hours at the parks are worth it.
Curious, would you mind telling us the approx cost of the towncar?

breesus

The line issues at MCO are caused by the same problems that effect lines at Disney, fast food restaurants, grocery stores, etc. There are just certain people who just choose not to be prepared or follow instructions. Following them will help expedite the process. At MCO, at least at the check point I always use, there is a TSA agent barking out instructions on what is allowed and not allowed along what has to go in bins to be inspected. This in addition to all the signage. But yet every time I fly regardless of airport, people just do not pay attention or just don’t care. It’s no different than the people who stand in line talking for 10 minutes waiting to get to the cashier, only to have no clue what they ordering when it’s their turn. Why do you think Disney now has people handing out menus at entrances? Maybe I am wired different, but I do everything in my power to make sure I do not impede the process of the people behind me.

the.dreamfinder

Not Maglev, but it was planned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_High_Speed_Corridor

The 'replacement' for this system, Brightline, is not planned to stop at WDW currently. Maybe in the future.
I’m talking about a Disney owned/operated shuttle between property and MCO’s north and planned south terminals. High speed rail is a loser as long as we don’t have a nationwide network with consistent 200+mph service.

Imagine being at MCO in less than ten minutes. Or, arriving at the world that much sooner. DME is such an inefficient system. On my last trip in January 2016 after coming in on the earliest SWA flight out of PHL (American’s TSA gates at Terminal B/C are THE WORST), we waited an hour for DME to take us to our hotel to check in. Then we had to stop at two other hotels, Pop Century and Art of Animation IIRC. It may be a “free” service, but this isn’t acceptable from a guest perspective. How many millions of guest spending dollars does Disney lose every year because DME isn’t efficient? How much more cost effective would it be in the long run to have a maglev train that dropped off all guests at a new TTC, say in front of Epcot, who would then be able to take a bus to their rooms if they wish or dive right into the parks? Would a billion dollar investment that would pay dividends for decades not be worth it?

Obviously the MCO TSA is the problem, but maybe Disney should focus on improving the things they can control.

dvitali

I am at Disney right now, my. Flight home tomorrow supposed Take off at 11:30 AM, pick up time was 8:30 am now it 7:30 AM. Disney is not telling anybody about the change. If was not this site I wouldn’t know about this.

ABQ

I thought the article said that the DME operating hours start at 4am?
It states Resort Airline Check-in will operate from 4 AM. Not sure how Magical Express coupled with Resort Check-in can accommodate the guests with very early flights now? Guess those folks will have to take their luggage on the bus now.

officialtom

4hr pre-flight pickup is standard for us since we fly to Canada. It does make for a long wait at the airport, and an early morning depending on the time of your flight. But given the insanity at MCO lately, it's worth getting there early.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom