Magical Express problems?

DKampy

I am visiting WDW in A couple of weeks...This will be the 1st time I will be using The Magical Express from the airport. We are a little concern on how reliable it is...I remember hearing problems when they 1st started this service...have they worked out the bugs?

Also I was wondering what happens if your airline is not on ME's lists of participating airlines. Will they still check in your luggage..or should we pick it up 1st?

I have used ME two times and had different problems each time. The first time, we waited in various lines and took 3 hours from the time we landed to get to our hotel. The second time (about a month ago), my luggage was delayed until the next morning in arriving at my room.

I would still recommend ME, but pick up your own luggage at the carousel! It's worth waiting the few extra minutes for that, instead of risking not receiving your luggage until the next day.

Upvote 0

tunaman68

We used the service last trip and thought it was great! Not having to deal with you bags once you arrive at the airport is just awesome.

We don't visit the parks on the day we arrive, (don't want to burn out before we even get started). We packed a carry on with swim suits, toothbrushes, sunscreen and a a change of undies (just in case). We waited about 10 minutes for the bus, and about 10 more minutes for the bus to fill up and we were on our way. By the time we got to the POR, got checked in, and had a swim, our bags were in our room (probably 2 hours).

Returning was just as easy, we were on a participating airline and just checked our bags at the POR. The next time we saw them was on the baggage claim carrousel at LAX. AWESOME!

They do weigh the bags so make sure you don't try to take home too much Disneyana for your friends or it will cost you extra$$$$$~!

Have Fun!

Upvote 0

kbmum

We used DME last summer and loved just about every part of it. It made traveling with two kids (6-year-old twins) much easier. Our bags arrived in our room within two hours. The only part that bothered me was the driver begging for tips on our way back to the airport. He mentioned it as soon as the bus left the property and again just before he pulled in to the airport. From my seat, I watched him put a $10 bill in his hand right before he walked off the bus, then held it so people could see it when they stepped to the curb. I guess he thought we'd all think someone had tipped him and we should do the same.

Upvote 0

ThumperDude

If I saw our driver with a self placed $10 in his hand, I'd say, 'oh good, you have change'. Then hand him 11 ones and take the ten.
Glad to hear other people take a change of clothes in their carry on. I always fly in jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Just in case the unthinkable happens. And I don't want to start my first day of my trip in June running around WDW in anything but shorts and a T-shirt. Then again, if the unthinkable happens, and my body ends up in 347 pieces, walking around in June, in jeans, in Florida, doesn't sound that bad.
Also, what are some of your experiences with ME with an early return flight? Mine leaves at 7:50 am. Meaning a 5:50 airport time, meaning a 4:50 bus time. Oh the heck with it, I'll just stay up all night. Seriously, do the buses run that early? Or should we try a cab? Or take care of our luggage ourselves?

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

DME buses will run 24 hours a day.

Also, I've said this before and I'll say it again. Everyone says 'pack a bag with necessities in case DME doesn't deliver your bags for a few hours'.

You should always do this. Airlines, not DME, does not deliver your bags. Airlines lose luggage all the time - ALL THE TIME. You should always travel with a carry on containing your personal items and money, all your medications, at least one t-shirt or other shirt, at least one pair of socks/underwear, eyeglass/contact stuff, facial cleansers or moisturizers or whatever you can't live withouth, and if you want to Disney-fy it, a swimsuit, sunscreen, a camera, and your Disney confirmation stuff. That way, if your luggage is lost, you have the jeans, shirt, socks, and undies you're wearing, plus another shirt, sock, undie set (if you have to do laundry, you have to do laundry) and everything you'd need to live. You might not have your FAVORITE shirt, or your autograph book, or whatever, but you can live.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

DME buses will run 24 hours a day.

Also, I've said this before and I'll say it again. Everyone says 'pack a bag with necessities in case DME doesn't deliver your bags for a few hours'.

You should always do this. Airlines, not DME, does not deliver your bags. Airlines lose luggage all the time - ALL THE TIME. You should always travel with a carry on containing your personal items and money, all your medications, at least one t-shirt or other shirt, at least one pair of socks/underwear, eyeglass/contact stuff, facial cleansers or moisturizers or whatever you can't live withouth, and if you want to Disney-fy it, a swimsuit, sunscreen, a camera, and your Disney confirmation stuff. That way, if your luggage is lost, you have the jeans, shirt, socks, and undies you're wearing, plus another shirt, sock, undie set (if you have to do laundry, you have to do laundry) and everything you'd need to live. You might not have your FAVORITE shirt, or your autograph book, or whatever, but you can live.

Absolutely. Most "Horror Stories" you hear stem from a problem with the airlines, not with DME. People who often percieve a problem with DME are really feeling a problem with the airlines.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Also, what are some of your experiences with ME with an early return flight? Mine leaves at 7:50 am. Meaning a 5:50 airport time, meaning a 4:50 bus time. Oh the heck with it, I'll just stay up all night. Seriously, do the buses run that early? Or should we try a cab? Or take care of our luggage ourselves?
As mentioned, DME is a 24/7 operation.

When you mention luggage on the way home, I suppose you're referring to Resort Airline Check-in. First of all, only people flying on a "participating airline" can use this service. Secondly, per TSA regulations, RAC luggage can't be checked any earlier than 12 hours prior to flight or any later than 3 hours prior to flight. RAC desks are open from 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Since your flight departs at 7:50 a.m., you would theoretically have to check your luggage some time between 7:50 p.m. and 4:50 a.m. Since the RAC desk isn't open during that time, you can't use RAC. You have no choice but to handle your own luggage. Sorry. ALso, keep in mind that RAC and DME are two completely separate operations. People who use RAC for their luggage DON'T have to ride the DME bus back to the airport.

But again, the buses run 24/7, by appointment (reservation). Believe me, you're not the first person to have an early flight. They've been doing this for nearly 2 years and they handle early flights every day. It's a big deal to you, but it's no big deal to them.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

I have used ME two times and had different problems each time. The first time, we waited in various lines and took 3 hours from the time we landed to get to our hotel. The second time (about a month ago), my luggage was delayed until the next morning in arriving at my room.

I would still recommend ME, but pick up your own luggage at the carousel! It's worth waiting the few extra minutes for that, instead of risking not receiving your luggage until the next day.
When they lost your luggage - what time of day did your flight arrive?

Upvote 0

gunsnroses

we have found that it's much easier to go on a wed. or thursday. we went on a saturday in october and it took us 2 hrs to get to the resort. wed. last year took about an hour. we'll never do a sat. again!:brick:

Upvote 0

spaceghost

Just used ME (just got back last night) and it worked great. On the way in we arrived late (11:30ish into the airport), and had no problems. There was no wait for the bus and when we checked in they just told us that they would leave a message on the phone for us and we could call when we wanted them to deliver the luggage, be that in the middle of the night or when we got up in the morning. When I woke up around 7, the message light was flashing, called the front desk, and our bags were up to us in 5 minutes.

On the return trip, we flew Southwest (well, actually we flew SW in and out :animwink: ), so we had to take our luggage with us, but the driver loaded it onto the bus for us. Just as a tip for anyone who didn't know already, the front desk/concierge can print out your SW boarding passes for you starting 24 hours before your flight. We did see a family that arrived 5 minutes late for the previous bus and missed their ride. Unfortunately, our bus was full with scheduled riders, so they were in kind of a pickle. Note that the ME paperwork that gets left for you gives you the bus pickup time but strongly suggests that you arrive 15 minutes ahead of time - follow this advice. Otherwise you may be in the same pickle. We got there early and everything was smooth as silk. I would highly recommend using ME and would definitely use it again.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom