MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

lazyboy97o

Legoland have one with an added twist - literally! You load and are then lifted and turned 180 round to face the screen.
The UK theme of magical creatures is far better than the Florida one IMO.
But that claims to be the first of its kind. Same technology as Soarin though.
Legoland does not use the same technology. Soarin’ uses a proprietary ride system developed by Disney and manufactured by Dynamic Attractions. Legoland, both Florida and Windsor, use the m-Ride flying system developed by Brogent Technologies. The m-Ride is a smaller, more cost efficient ride system based on their i-Ride system that was developed as a cheaper imitation of Soarin’ with a greater range of motion. One key difference between Disney’s system and Brogent’s systems is that riders are not lifted up and instead load at the flying level.

Disney working on this patent is a head scratcher. There are already a variety of other flying theater systems that offer greater capabilities.

Jordan dby

Interested as to why.
I like it. About 1/3 of the price of Legoland Florida for a start.
The breadth of attractions was ok we just found the lay out of the park horrible. It wasn't a particularly busy day - a Saturday and Sunday outside of school holidays and overcast, but the queues were insane and everyone kept bumping into each other moving across lands.

We had merlin annual passes for one year about 2019 and of all the merlin parks that was the only one we didn't especially enjoy. Due to hotel cost it was the only one we didn't stay on site too.

Back on flying theatres, I've done the Harry Potter one in universal california which is like a hybrid of flying theatre then rollercoaster. Great idea in principle although i got a bit of motion sickness on this, whereas I love Soarin in california and florida. Is the flying theatre part of Harry Potter using the same technology for those parts?

nickys

Premium Member
he breadth of attractions was ok we just found the lay out of the park horrible. It wasn't a particularly busy day - a Saturday and Sunday outside of school holidays and overcast, but the queues were insane and everyone kept bumping into each other moving across lands.
The layout means each land is separated from each other, which has its benefits. Although the single path from the bottom of the hill along to the castle makes for gridlock at times. But realistically they only have the valley to work with, so they can’t expand out much.

Some areas like the Cadtle and circus tent are woefully under used. And I’m disappointed they couldn’t expand Miniland to add the new cities instead of removing so much of Europe.

But weekends are busy year round. And outside school holidays it’s the only time most people can go! The target demographic is school age kids.

OT, I still remember visiting Windsor Safari Park - which was there before Legoland.

nickys

Premium Member
Legoland does not use the same technology. Soarin’ uses a proprietary ride system developed by Disney and manufactured by Dynamic Attractions. Legoland, both Florida and Windsor, use the m-Ride flying system developed by Brogent Technologies. The m-Ride is a smaller, more cost efficient ride system based on their i-Ride system that was developed as a cheaper imitation of Soarin’ with a greater range of motion. One key difference between Disney’s system and Brogent’s systems is that riders are not lifted up and instead load at the flying level.

Disney working on this patent is a head scratcher. There are already a variety of other flying theater systems that offer greater capabilities.
Thanks! I assumed it was the same technology.

So when you swing round, the “abyss” is below you? You definitely move up and down during the ride - the UK one does a lot of swooping around. The theme makes it much more noticeable because you’re flying with them. Kinda like a tame FoP. Everyone has to wear the leg strap. The US one is tamer.

UpAllNight

Can’t think of a park in the world that wouldn’t be improved with a Hagrids style coaster. The storytelling possibilities are endless really, be that through IP or unique stories. I’d love to see Paris get one in either of the parks.

I’m spoilt in that I’ve been to many parks, but I’d love a unique draw - something that isn’t anywhere else. Hagrids but even grander. A best coaster in the world contender.

Jordan dby

Good article on Forbes on DLP finances;

Gist is DLP is more profitable than has previously been reported. Despite the Disney full takeover, royalties continue to flow from DLP to other Disney units, in order to reduce french taxes which are higher than elsewhere. One thing I didn't know was that there have been investigations and raids by french tax authorities to makes sure the royalty payments were reasonable, and these ended late 2021.

The constant change of pace and ambition on the expansion could have been some political game playing (or fear of a hefty tax bill).

fradz

Good article on Forbes on DLP finances;

Gist is DLP is more profitable than has previously been reported. Despite the Disney full takeover, royalties continue to flow from DLP to other Disney units, in order to reduce french taxes which are higher than elsewhere. One thing I didn't know was that there have been investigations and raids by french tax authorities to makes sure the royalty payments were reasonable, and these ended late 2021.

The constant change of pace and ambition on the expansion could have been some political game playing (or fear of a hefty tax bill).
this is a great read for anyone who is not that familiar with DLP and how it operates as part of TWDC.

mrflo

Great recap & insights indeed. It is also confirming what we had discussed before - TWDC is still profiting heavily from those royalty payments of DLP. While the management fees might no longer be in place, service fees by WDI for R&D as well as project management for new attractions potentially still exist. So any investment on the attraction side at DLP might also automatically bring some extra dollars back to the mothership. No surprise tax authorities in France are keeping a close eye on this.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I bet all the art prints etc will be gone when it re-opens. 🙄 To be fair it was fun to browse but I didn’t buy anything; I guess most people did the same.
I occasionally went in for a specific book; I recall the gallery CMs didn’t know one of them was even available when I asked (and showed them a photo).

As part of the archiving of the village I did over the last year, I’m glad I got the interiors when I did.

LondonTom

I bet all the art prints etc will be gone when it re-opens. 🙄 To be fair it was fun to browse but I didn’t buy anything; I guess most people did the same.
Hopefully, they have a new location in mind! The gallery shops in the US seem to do good business, so I can't imagine a DLP one wouldn't either?

I am still very much 50/50 on this Alice In Wonderland BMX showing turning to be brilliant or terrible, but it looks like DLP has another hit song their hands either way! This is banging!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom