Magic Spoiling Question for CM's

Miss Bell

Original Poster
My twelve year old just hit 5 feet and 1/2 inch. Did this growth spurt kill her dream to be Tinker Bell in the MK fireworks? I've heard rumors that there are strict height and weight restrictions for that particular CM job--any truth to that?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
for that role, they are especially strict. I don't think 5ft 1/2in will be a problem (especially with Disney measuring people on average .5-1in shorter than their doctor says they are), provided the weight is around 100 lbs.

She does have to be at least 18 to do this... so odds are, she's gonna be to tall when she's old enough.

Try instilling a new dream. Perhaps a princess?

Lee

Adventurer
Not only are they very strict for that role, there is a very high demand for it.
One of the last times they had auditions for it, I heard at least 50 people wanted it.

WDWScottieBoy

Lee said:
I heard at least 50 people wanted it.

50 people is a lot? Reality TV shows get thousands upon thousands, I think it would be a lot easier to be Tink than on one of those.

By the way Miss Bell, tell your daughter good luck and don't let her grow anymore if she wants that job. If she grows, there are plenty of princesses in the parks that she could be "a friend of."

Miss Bell

Original Poster
mkt said:
for that role, they are especially strict. I don't think 5ft 1/2in will be a problem (especially with Disney measuring people on average .5-1in shorter than their doctor says they are), provided the weight is around 100 lbs.

She does have to be at least 18 to do this... so odds are, she's gonna be to tall when she's old enough.

Try instilling a new dream. Perhaps a princess?

Next choice would be to work at Tower of Terror or Haunted Mansion--but I'm not quite ready to break it to her that she is going to be too tall to be Tinker Bell. sigh.

yensidtlaw1969

Don't tell her she can't be if you're not entirely sure that she can't be. I don't think that her height would make her too tall. Get all the facts first before telling her.
Yensidtlaw1969

Lee

Adventurer
WDWScottieBoy said:
50 people is a lot?

Kinda.
When you consider that all the applicants came from the existing pool of character CMs.
I don't think they have auditions of this sort for just anyone off the street.

Others will know better than me, though....

Chape19714

For being a Face Charactor (i mean a friend of one) you MUST fit the exact costume Disney has. Disney will not change the size of a costume for a face charactor. so, you must be the right size, or sorry, it won't happen. You will not be considered any further if you cannot fit into the costume (whether too big or too small) Non-face charactors, such as those with a mask (mickey, minnie etc.) i there is a limit, but there are varations of the costume. (mickey can't be 6'10"!)
That's what i've been told.

see the numbers before you tell your daughter no.

barnum42

Chape19714 said:
For being a Face Charactor (i mean a friend of one) you MUST fit the exact costume Disney has. Disney will not change the size of a costume for a face charactor. so, you must be the right size, or sorry, it won't happen. You will not be considered any further if you cannot fit into the costume (whether too big or too small) Non-face charactors, such as those with a mask (mickey, minnie etc.) i there is a limit, but there are varations of the costume. (mickey can't be 6'10"!)
That's what i've been told.

see the numbers before you tell your daughter no.
I suspect that Wardrobe has an upper and lower limit of costumes for specific faces as most people do go up and down in weight. I've seen characters looking a little fuller in the face on some days than others ;)

Atta83

barnum42 said:
I . I've seen characters looking a little fuller in the face on some days than others ;)

Dont get me started on that one. Yes, disney does have certain standards to fit certain things around there.

Miss Bell

Original Poster
I always thought it was the flying aspect of this character that caused the limited height restriction, not the costume size.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
for this role, it's the size. Appearance has very little to do with it, since it's not cast from the character department, but is in fact, a stunt role through the Actors Equity Association.

boo52

mkt said:
for this role, it's the size. Appearance has very little to do with it, since it's not cast from the character department, but is in fact, a stunt role through the Actors Equity Association.
Tink is not covered under AEA. They are covered by no union at all because they are classified as Office & Technical Hourly. I kid you not. And since O&T is has no union, they have no contract. Which i always found funny since you would think that it would be classified as a Stunt Position. Maybe one day the AEA will raise a stink about it.

barnum42

Miss Bell said:
I always thought it was the flying aspect of this character that caused the limited height restriction, not the costume size.
I've flown on stage before and I'm definately too tall and broad to play Tink.

Disney Duggan

A few years ago when I took the Backstage Magic tour, I remember our tour guide talking about the requirements for Tinker Bell. She didn't say anything about height, but she did stress that weight was extremely important. If Tink was too light, she wouldn't make it all the way across and if she was too heavy, she would zip across too fast. I don't remember what the ideal weight was, but I think it was around 100 lbs.

wannab@dis

Disney Duggan said:
A few years ago when I took the Backstage Magic tour, I remember our tour guide talking about the requirements for Tinker Bell. She didn't say anything about height, but she did stress that weight was extremely important. If Tink was too light, she wouldn't make it all the way across and if she was too heavy, she would zip across too fast. I don't remember what the ideal weight was, but I think it was around 100 lbs.
Hmm... this is kinda hard to believe. I would think they would have some type of drag / braking device installed in the zip line for safety purposes. It could easily be used to speed up / slow down Tink and give allowances for different weights.

To alleviate sway in the line, I could see them using a maximum weight.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Not to close out options

There are a lot of Disney positions I would enjoy, but this sure ain't one of them! :dazzle: Not of course that it has anything to do with the height involved or my svelt 210 lbs. :rolleyes:

"If Tink was too light, she wouldn't make it all the way across and if she was too heavy, she would zip across too fast." Disney Duggan

I don't believe weight is a matter of speed along the line rather than ability to stay ON the line :eek:

Anyway Miss Bell, why tell a 12 year old about limitations at this point anyway. No reason for her not to aspire to anything at this point. Let her change her own mind or come to her own realizations on her own, right? After all, my wife still doesn't correct me when I tell her what I want to be when I grow up. :animwink:

PhotoDave219

boo52 said:
. They are covered by no union at all because they are classified as Office & Technical Hourly. I kid you not. And since O&T is has no union, they have no contract.
Indeed. O&T has no union, no contract, and all the good and bad things that come of that. (Like Management can get rid of you really easily if you cause trouble for them) I can understand how some people who work in the parks are under O&T, but Tink? Thats insane. Utterly insane.

boo52

PhotoDave219 said:
Indeed. O&T has no union, no contract, and all the good and bad things that come of that. (Like Management can get rid of you really easily if you cause trouble for them) I can understand how some people who work in the parks are under O&T, but Tink? Thats insane. Utterly insane.
It amazes me also. I wonder why though that Equity hasn't made a fuss about it. I mean the job description perfectly fits the role of a stunt performer. i don't get it.

the audition process is crazy...they hoist the applicants up in crane at varying heights to see if they can handle it...plus you are caught at the end...by big spotters is what i here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom