Magic Kingdoms next light parade

brb1006

And now that MSEP is ending in October of this year at WDW. MK will no longer have a nighttime parade to run now that Spectromagic is gone.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I don't know why people see Paint the Night as so Pixar heavy, there are only three full units of it that are Pixar, and a small part with Nemo.

From Wikipedia...
The Disneyland version contains the following parade units:[15]

brb1006

I don't know why people see Paint the Night as so Pixar heavy, there are only three full units of it that are Pixar, and a small part with Nemo.

From Wikipedia...

At least Dreamlights featured Pixar characters but weren't to Pixar heavy like PTN

TheOrangeBird01

From Wikipedia...

I include Finding Nemo as it's own "unit" or section, which would bring the total number of units to 9, with 4 of those units being themed around Pixar properties, 4 of the units being themed around modern Disney movies, and only 1 that's themed around a classic property (Mickey Mouse and Friends). Add to that a very modern pop soundtrack sung by a flavor of the month singer and you don't have what it takes to make a timeless parade. There needs to be a large mix of all different types of characters/movies celebrated in the parade, not Bob Iger's New IP Showcase. Spectromagic, Dreamlights, and even Main Street Electrical Parade work well because they use characters that every body knows (old AND new) to music everybody can love. You could argue that Spectro, and MSEP worked better because they were made before a time when Disney had acquired many more properties, but I think Tokyo Disneyland's Dreamlights integrated the Pixar properties nicely into the mix of classic and newer characters instead of shoe horning them in like in Paint the Night.

Paint the Night might be technologically spectacular, but it's in the wrong place and would never work in the Magic Kingdom. California Adventure or Hollywood Studios maybe, but a gigantic Mack truck does not belong on turn of the century Main Street U.S.A. (or anywhere else in MK either!)

brb1006

I include Finding Nemo as it's own "unit" or section, which would bring the total number of units to 9, with 4 of those units being themed around Pixar properties, 4 of the units being themed around modern Disney movies, and only 1 that's themed around a classic property (Mickey Mouse and Friends). Add to that a very modern pop soundtrack sung by a flavor of the month singer and you don't have what it takes to make a timeless parade. There needs to be a large mix of all different types of characters/movies celebrated in the parade, not Bob Iger's New IP Showcase. Spectromagic, Dreamlights, and even Main Street Electrical Parade work well because they use characters that every body knows (old AND new) to music everybody can love. You could argue that Spectro, and MSEP worked better because they were made before a time when Disney had acquired many more properties, but I think Tokyo Disneyland's Dreamlights integrated the Pixar properties nicely into the mix of classic and newer characters instead of shoe horning them in like in Paint the Night.

Paint the Night might be technologically spectacular, but it's in the wrong place and would never work in the Magic Kingdom. California Adventure or Hollywood Studios maybe, but a gigantic Mack truck does not belong on turn of the century Main Street U.S.A. (or anywhere else in MK either!)
PTN's only use of Disney classic characters is Tinker Bell and Peter Pan,Cinderella,Belle and Mickey & Friends.

TheOrangeBird01

PTN's only use of Disney classic characters is Tinker Bell and Peter Pan,Cinderella,Belle and Mickey & Friends.

Tinker Bell and Peter Pan would be classic if they didn't use the awful Pixie Hollow fairies as well. It just goes to show that the company has to always showcase their latest moneymaking thing (even if it did flop in the end). Belle, and Ariel are in the second wave of classic in my book. They aren't brand spanking new, but they haven't been around forever. They are properties that have shown that they have staying power so they can be considered classic, or modern, whatever. Cinderella is as classic as you can get but she's smushed between Belle and Rapunzel. Rapunzel hasn't been around long enough to be even considered a classic. Sure she has fans, but she isn't timeless.

All I'm saying is, you want to have a parade that anyone can enjoy. Whether you've seen one Disney movie or them all, there has to be something for the 80 year old in your group, and the 2 year old in your group. Go ahead and shoehorn Frozen in the parade if you want. But don't just have a parade full of movies you've made in the past 10 or so years. People recognize, love and grew up with the classic stuff. Disney keeps forgetting their past (unless they need people to feel nostalgic, then it's full force "here's a collection of everything that's gone and you miss") and it's depressing. Disney has almost 100 years of material to pull from, but they must have lost the key to the vault because it seems like they only remember stuff that they've done since about 2006.

brb1006

Tinker Bell and Peter Pan would be classic if they didn't use the awful Pixie Hollow fairies as well. It just goes to show that the company has to always showcase their latest moneymaking thing (even if it did flop in the end). Belle, and Ariel are in the second wave of classic in my book. They aren't brand spanking new, but they haven't been around forever. They are properties that have shown that they have staying power so they can be considered classic, or modern, whatever. Cinderella is as classic as you can get but she's smushed between Belle and Rapunzel. Rapunzel hasn't been around long enough to be even considered a classic. Sure she has fans, but she isn't timeless.

All I'm saying is, you want to have a parade that anyone can enjoy. Whether you've seen one Disney movie or them all, there has to be something for the 80 year old in your group, and the 2 year old in your group. Go ahead and shoehorn Frozen in the parade if you want. But don't just have a parade full of movies you've made in the past 10 or so years. People recognize, love and grew up with the classic stuff. Disney keeps forgetting their past (unless they need people to feel nostalgic, then it's full force "here's a collection of everything that's gone and you miss") and it's depressing. Disney has almost 100 years of material to pull from, but they must have lost the key to the vault because it seems like they only remember stuff that they've done since about 2006.
This is also why I really love Dreamlights since it's the perfect parade that combines modern and classic Disney films and characters along with the Pixar characters. It's been going for almost 16 years and it still looks fresh and new since they are always updating the entire parade every few years.

Minnie Mum

I've been a little out of the loop for the last week or so, so somebody help me out. From what I've read on the Disney blogs and a couple of other sites, all we know for sure is that MK will have NO MORE evening parades after early OCT. And that PTN is NOT coming to WDW. Has there been any announcement that MK will be getting another evening entertainment of some kind to replace it? Or is this more cost cutting by the Disney bean counters? Is all this talk of the next evening parade just wishful dreaming?

CaptainAmerica

I've been a little out of the loop for the last week or so, so somebody help me out. From what I've read on the Disney blogs and a couple of other sites, all we know for sure is that MK will have NO MORE evening parades after early OCT. And that PTN is NOT coming to WDW. Has there been any announcement that MK will be getting another evening entertainment of some kind to replace it? Or is this more cost cutting by the Disney bean counters? Is all this talk of the next evening parade just wishful dreaming?
None of that is correct.

Magic Kingdom WILL have an evening parade. It could be Festival of Fantasy moved to nighttime, it could be Paint the Night, it could be Fantillusion, it could be something brand new. The timing is some time in 2017 depending on which route they go. We also have no idea what they'd do in the interim before the new parade is ready. Some have speculated a limited-time run of Festival of Fantasy at night. Others have wondered whether the holiday parades might run nightly. Or there might just not be a parade for a few months.

Minnie Mum

None of that is correct.

Magic Kingdom WILL have an evening parade. It could be Festival of Fantasy moved to nighttime, it could be Paint the Night, it could be Fantillusion, it could be something brand new. The timing is some time in 2017 depending on which route they go. We also have no idea what they'd do in the interim before the new parade is ready. Some have speculated a limited-time run of Festival of Fantasy at night. Others have wondered whether the holiday parades might run nightly. Or there might just not be a parade for a few months.

That's good to know. Can you give me a link to the announcement of the new parade in 2017? Thanks.

Minnie Mum

It has not been announced yet. Forum insiders have an ongoing discussion in the thread below.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...aint-the-night-closing-wdw-inevitable.916192/

Thanks for the link, but I don't see anything in that thread that would make me think differently than I did before. The fact is, there are no night time parades scheduled for any night after early Oct (except the party parades). The fact is, Disney has not announced any replacement for it. If a replacement parade is such a sure thing, why hasn't Disney said something to that effect? Your optimism is commendable. I still remember the people who thought the DHS and AK parades would make a return. I developed a lot of my pessimism from watching the changes at WDW. As with all things Disney since the Iger years began, we are left in the dark to speculate. Do I hope there will be some kind of night parade at MK? Absolutely. Am I confident of one in the next 6 months? Not so much.

CaptainAmerica

Thanks for the link, but I don't see anything in that thread that would make me think differently than I did before. The fact is, there are no night time parades scheduled for any night after early Oct (except the party parades). The fact is, Disney has not announced any replacement for it. If a replacement parade is such a sure thing, why hasn't Disney said something to that effect? Your optimism is commendable. I still remember the people who thought the DHS and AK parades would make a return. I developed a lot of my pessimism from watching the changes at WDW. As with all things Disney since the Iger years began, we are left in the dark to speculate. Do I hope there will be some kind of night parade at MK? Absolutely. Am I confident of one in the next 6 months? Not so much.
K. Think whatever you want. You're wrong. There are people in this forum who know a lot more than you or I do and they're the ones saying a replacement is on the way.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Respectfully I will disagree with you. I think Paint the Night has a great blend of characters that anyone from 80 years old to a 2 year would enjoy. Films like Toy Story (Pixar 1995) and Little Mermaid (Disney 1989) have been around quite awhile now and are part of pop culture that even non-Disney fans recognize. Even the Pixar films like Monsters (2001) and Nemo (2003) have been around long enough for people to recognize and know about which is longer than your 2006 date. Even the "new" classic of Beauty and the Beast (1991) guests would know about because it was even nominated for an Oscar (in which it should have won). I guess my point is that a lot of these may seem new but really aren't new and are established properties. If they ever take Mickey and gang out of a parade though, then Disney is in big trouble! :)

Sure Disney has a great film history, and it would be great to include characters like Lady & the Tramp, or Bambi from the classic Walt era movies but they can't include them all. I'm sure as they develop the parades and pick the floats they look at which properties are popular and what merch is selling, as they probably figure that those are the characters guests want to see. As for the song, I have said that I think it is pretty awesome and well done. And personally I like Mack the truck in the parade, and I don't really care for Cars that much.

But you know what the great thing is, everyone doesn't have to agree and can have their own opinions on the the parades. Something is always someone's favorite and something is always someone's least favorite.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Respectfully I will disagree with you. I think Paint the Night has a great blend of characters that anyone from 80 years old to a 2 year would enjoy. Films like Toy Story (Pixar 1995) and Little Mermaid (Disney 1989) have been around quite awhile now and are part of pop culture that even non-Disney fans recognize. Even the Pixar films like Monsters (2001) and Nemo (2003) have been around long enough for people to recognize and know about which is longer than your 2006 date. Even the "new" classic of Beauty and the Beast (1991) guests would know about because it was even nominated for an Oscar (in which it should have won). I guess my point is that a lot of these may seem new but really aren't new and are established properties. If they ever take Mickey and gang out of a parade though, then Disney is in big trouble! :)

Sure Disney has a great film history, and it would be great to include characters like Lady & the Tramp, or Bambi from the classic Walt era movies but they can't include them all. I'm sure as they develop the parades and pick the floats they look at which properties are popular and what merch is selling, as they probably figure that those are the characters guests want to see. As for the song, I have said that I think it is pretty awesome and well done. And personally I like Mack the truck in the parade, and I don't really care for Cars that much.

But you know what the great thing is, everyone doesn't have to agree and can have their own opinions on the the parades. Something is always someone's favorite and something is always someone's least favorite.
Pop culture really doesn't belong in the Magic Kingdom. Paint the Night would be a great nighttime attraction for DCA and Hollywood Studios. It doesn't fit in a park that brings you a century back in time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom