Magic Kingdom was a wreck last week

captainkidd

Original Poster
And to be fair and honest, saying it looked like a "wreck" is a bit of an exaggeration. It wasn't THAT bad. The Magic Kingdom is far and away my favorite park in the world, so I'm going to be overly critical of it.

EPCOT Explorer

We were there 5 days over a 2 week period.

The trash on Splash isn't really Disney's fault. People are pigs and throw crap everywhere. I'm certain Disney goes through daily to clean it up.

Here's the thing - I spent 3 days at Universal where everything looked brand new. Literally. Little silly things like the bars in que lines looked like they had been freshly painted on every ride. At Disney, on several rides, they were all chipped up. It's not a big deal, but when I started to really compare the condition of both parks, to my shock, I though Universal was doing a much better job.

I'm wondering if I bumped into you, now...:lookaroun:lol:

It's a interesting perspective....Hopefully Disney sees that you can see the difference in the parks and acts on it.:wave:

EPCOT Explorer

What a fun thread. Gonna miss these when life, business and trips to DLP and DL tear me away from this magical place!

First, perceptions can be altered by many factors. I have a great deal of respect for young Evan (and he knows that) but the fact he hasn't been to WDW in three years can make someone focus more on what's great about the place.

I remember my first visit in years to DL and my first visit to DLP period. Both places were falling apart in so many ways. I noticed them ... and wasn't happy about them ... but I let the pure joy of being at those parks take the lead over my negative perceptions.

Also, in one day, people can have vastly different experiences in the same park, on the same attractions and in the same restuarants.

An attraction can look great at 9 a.m. but be a disaster at 7:11 p.m. ... but then someone comes in and cleans it and you walk in at 8:00 and it looks great again.

A lot of things can affect how a place looks ... or how one perceives reality.

And as for education, considering the REAL state of the economy, I'd advise anyone to spend as much time in school as they can ... stack the degrees up, gain the knowledge of many different subjects, travel as much as you can.

I'd also advise against law ... but that's because 97% of the lawyers I have met are scum (nicest way I can put it) and no matter what someone's intentions are it doesn't really matter in the end. People think our healthcare system is a corrupt mess? (it is, that was rhetorical) ... well, it still has nothing on our legal system.

Hope Evan decides to put his brain and talents toward something else ...

Dully noted...:D I know that was the deal for me. However, even in that state, I still know and think that it needs a ton of work. Like I said...ALand!:dazzle: place looked horrible...and I mean that. Most definitely a low point of the experience.

And you know my thoughts on law...;) Change?:lookaroun:D

captainkidd

Original Poster
What a fun thread. Gonna miss these when life, business and trips to DLP and DL tear me away from this magical place!

First, perceptions can be altered by many factors. I have a great deal of respect for young Evan (and he knows that) but the fact he hasn't been to WDW in three years can make someone focus more on what's great about the place.

I remember my first visit in years to DL and my first visit to DLP period. Both places were falling apart in so many ways. I noticed them ... and wasn't happy about them ... but I let the pure joy of being at those parks take the lead over my negative perceptions.

Also, in one day, people can have vastly different experiences in the same park, on the same attractions and in the same restuarants.

An attraction can look great at 9 a.m. but be a disaster at 7:11 p.m. ... but then someone comes in and cleans it and you walk in at 8:00 and it looks great again.

A lot of things can affect how a place looks ... or how one perceives reality.

Excellent point.

I spoke to some guests who thought I was insane and others who agreed with me.

Biff215

Just another comment from someone who just got back Saturday and who has been there multiple times in the past year. I didn't notice anything in major need of refurb, and overall thought all the parks look great. I'm never thrilled to see walls or scrims during my vacation, but of course understand that's the only way Disney is able to keep the parks the way they are. Didn't hit Universal this time around, but would be shocked (and pleasantly pleased) if they looked as good as the WDW parks.

hardcard

I was there last week, too, and I can confirm EE's sentiments, and not the OP's here.

If you really want to take the best path to law school, choose the easiest major possible, party throughout undergrad, and bank on doing exceedingly well on the LSAT.

Of course, if you don't want to bank on that, the best bet is to major in something besides a liberal art (so essentially, not a BS major) like engineering or meteorology. Law schools look more favorably at individuals who had difficult and/or intense majors. There is no major that prepares you 'better' for law school than any other, but only ones that prepare you for a certain workload and develop your critical thinking skills better.

For what it's worth, the former plan is much better, and more fun than the latter plan.

I have been to MK at least once a week for the past year or so.. I can tell you for sure.. The overall 'upkeep' is vastly improving..

FWIW, the screens over the Hall of Champions, and the other buildings on main will be down soon.. they are nearing completion on the rebuild.. yes, you heard that right... the rebuild.

hrcollectibles

I never really notice that a bulb is out, chipped paint or any nit picky detail.. I am at the Happiest Place on Earth on vacation... I am just happy being there....

maggiegrace1

I still think you're crazy.:lol:
I agree..:D:lookaroun:lol:

When we were there in June, Adventure Land looked amazing...:shrug: and granted I know I inhale Pixie Dust like it is air and always have my rose colored glasses on..:cool::king: but I did not notice anything wrong with Adventure Land at all..

ryno1982

For whatever reason, it seems like all the facade work at WDW takes longer than the sister parks. Just look at Japan. That thing has taken at least three years to finish.

magic2me

I think this is a case of looking for the worst and finding it. I am sure there was garbage around. It could have been thrown there by the boat before yours on Splash. I was the Main Stree covering in May and they did not make it look trashy. I give them credit for having the tarp look like the building to not take away from the view. Yes you know it is a tarp but I was happy to see it was not just a blue or brown tarp.

danv3

LOL at the thread drift to discussions of law school. To any future lawyers, I suggest that rather than worrying about what to major in, you get to know some lawyers before you go to law school. Ideally, see if you can find one of the ones who isn't totally miserable. I assume the happy lawyers must all work for Disney...I haven't met any in my practice!

WDWFigment

And as for education, considering the REAL state of the economy, I'd advise anyone to spend as much time in school as they can ... stack the degrees up, gain the knowledge of many different subjects, travel as much as you can.

I'd also advise against law ... but that's because 97% of the lawyers I have met are scum (nicest way I can put it) and no matter what someone's intentions are it doesn't really matter in the end. People think our healthcare system is a corrupt mess? (it is, that was rhetorical) ... well, it still has nothing on our legal system.

Hope Evan decides to put his brain and talents toward something else ...

I've seen this sentiment from you before, and normally I just brush it off, but what can I say, I guess I have free time this morning. I don't agree with this--I do agree with you that there are a disproportionate number of lawyers who are scum, but I don't think that means if you are a lawyer, you become scum. Rather, I think the occupation, for some reason, attracts bad people. That said, if you go in with scrupples, and you stick to those scrupples, you can be a good person who is also a good lawyer. I know it's a shock to think a lawyer can be a good person, but it is true. I've met plenty. I find it especially troubling that it's come to a point where people caution against becoming lawyers because of what the occupation 'does' to people (I don't fault the people for cautioning, as there unfortunately seems to be good reason). There are many noble causes that can be advanced through the practice of law, and if someone wishes to engage in such a cause, they should not be dissuaded (that said, Evan, if you wish to practice Constitutional Law, I can tell you that there is a very low probability that you will actually practice in that area).

As for the legal system being in shambles, I think that is a bit of a stretch. Certainly, reform is needed. However, all of the reform that is suggested seems to involve simplifying the law. The law is not so complicated so 'only lawyers can understand it and thus everyone has to pay them' (or some variation of that sentiment, as is often stated). The law is complicated because complex parties exist, and intelligent and unscrupulous non-lawyer parties would exploit the law if it were not so complicated. I have seen plenty of clients who are advised not to litigate an issue, but they either have dollar signs in their eyes or think they can outlast their opponent since they have deeper pockets. Put another way, many of the problems with the legal system are not a result of corrupt lawyers, but with corrupt people in general.

I will cut this short here--in the end, my point is that good and bad people exist everywhere in life. More probably do exist in law. However, to think that you'll become a bad person if you practice law is untrue. As with anything in life, how you approach the profession depends entirely upon you.

Since this is a fairly substantial thread drift, I better comment on the actual topic itself. I agree with the rest of your post about varying perceptions. I guess I looked at the facade work as a sign of progress. I commented to my fiancee while we were there that I hadn't seen that many refurbishment walls in the Magic Kingdom since the early 1990s. I think it's a good thing (of course, that does assume the work will be well-done, but I think giving the benefit of the doubt initially is okay). As far as upkeep other than that, almost everywhere we went it was good. Buzz's queue was exceptionally good (despite some dings in the wall) at several times throughout the day. I don't have other specific examples, but it was better than last year in December and August when we went. I understand your point about it varying as cleaning occurs, but I don't think we could've been so 'lucky' to follow the cleaning crews to each area we went. Maybe we were.

elizs77

Like I mentioned before, I didn't see really any issues with the MK three weeks ago. The only thing I can REALLY think of is that the vehicles at BLSRS did look like they needed a facelift. But maybe that's because we are now in love with Toy Story Mania instead. Other than that, I thought all the parks looked pretty good. I always tend to think that the resorts need a bit more attention than the parks, though.

To continue the thread drift, my DH is an attorney and has been one for seven years. They definitely aren't all bad! I think most people have a very narrow view of attorneys in terms of practice areas. I mean, my DH had no idea when he entered law that he'd end up doing corporate real estate and capital transactions. This is definitely not an area of money grubbing sharks! Yes, law tends to attract a certain kind of personality, but that doesn't mean that they are evil moneygrubbers.

I am not sure what type of company you keep such that 97% of the attorneys you've met are "scum." I know several attorneys that went to law school with wonderful intentions to serve the public, or to otherwise help people solve mundane or extraordinary problems. These lawyers not only stayed true to their intentions, but many of them earn a very modest salary which is further offset by staggering student loans. By nature, practicing law is adversarial, and just because a lawyer is doing her job by advocating for an opposing position does not mean that she is "scum."

I'm also curious about which part of the legal system you consider to be "corrupt." Your sentiment is little more than an uninformed generalization that does nothing more than blindly degrade a process that you simply do not comprehend.

Dads 2 Boys

My nephews have been there since last Tuesday (the 18th) and were in MK 3 times and have said it looks fantastic (with exception of the crane and the SM stuff) :shrug:. They have been there 7 times and said it's as good as ever.

I still have 3+ months before I get there so I cannot report personally.......

jessfriends

I did see that the clock was not working at one point during my visit sometime between Aug 13-19. Buzz's que looked a bit dirty, but it was better than last December. The Buzz ride vechicles looked new to me. Better than last December. They did have tarps up on main street. I know Champions was one of them. In one of the CoP scenes, Rover's fur looked different than the others, IMO. I am going to try to make a trip report if I get a chance so if I recall anything, I will post it here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom