Magic Kingdom to test mobile phone charging lockers for guest use

bhg469

This^^^^^^^^^^
I have a 3000mAh and a 12000mAh Anker. The 3000 Mini unit is for the standard cell phones that our DD & Hubby carry, and the 12000 unit is for the Droid 4 Smart phones that Momma and I carry.
I expect to see dozens people milling around the WDW phone chargers like expectant fathers waiting outside the Delivery Room. ;)
I used this option for a short time as well. Swapping batteries just made things so much easier for me. The wife and I use the same type of phones too so we can easily lend the other some juice.

dvitali

How big is the lockers? i can see a wall of small lockers just big enough to put in a phone and nothing else. i also will not like to see people charging their scooters near there. they also should bring these power outlet to each resort room.

bhg469

How big is the lockers? i can see a wall of small lockers just big enough to put in a phone and nothing else. i also will not like to see people charging their scooters near there. they also should bring these power outlet to each resort room.
Resorts all have ac plugs so its doubtful they would do that since most people bring their chargers with them. I would like them to have the night stand plugs that hotels seem to be putting in everywhere.

UncleMike101

I used this option for a short time as well. Swapping batteries just made things so much easier for me. The wife and I use the same type of phones too so we can easily lend the other some juice.
We used to carry spare batteries as well but our new phones don't have "customer removable" batteries. :confused:

bhg469

We used to carry spare batteries as well but our new phones don't have "customer removable" batteries. :confused:
Sadly this seems to be the direction all the manufacturers are taking, Samsung still does it and while I gave up a superior ui in stock android, I get to keep the feature that is important to me.

LucyK

So how many charging bays do you think they are going to need to meet demand?
Around 5K and there's still be a line of people waiting for a locker to open up.

I use a solar powered device to recharge my iPhone but it's a great idea for those who haven't got one.

Dwarful

I think it is a step in the right direction. We haven't used FP+ or the Disney apps in the parks so I don't know how this will impact our phone usage. We won't all have phones with us...maybe 2 in our group of 4 or 5. But seems like if they can link them to the MYW bands then couldn't they limit the number of repeat uses within a certain time or day to cut down on hoarding?

dvitali

watching the video i am guessing a standard wall will have at least 3 credit card swipe with 6 pods each for total 18. Placing each swipe at eye and arm level i can see adding another 6 pods per unit if some people do not mind bending or kneeling for a total of 36 per wall.

Communicore

I think this would be awesome if it was installed inside gift shops. That way they can also sell merch. Actually why not install them at the old Aunt Polly place.

EDIT: Actually this would fit in at the "Tomorrowland Light and Power Company" building!

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

That is correct. The locker is only big enough to get a mobile device in. From what I could derive from the manufacturer's site, you will not have access to a power outlet. You will have access only to the charging cord which would be either the lightning adapter, the 30 pin iPhone 4, or the micro USB… Or USB two or something of that nature.

If you're looking for power outlets, then you wanted over by the tangled toilets… Plenty of them there.

It's an interesting idea. Perhaps they need one of these in every guest room? So you can charge your phone safely while you're not in the room? For thought…

PrincessNelly_NJ

This is not an Apple versus (other phones) debate, but I usually carry a spare battery for my Note 2, while my wife has to constantly monitor her usage because of the lack of removal battery on her iPhone. I like that this is being offered.
That seems to be always an iPhone problem LOL. But my Moto X doesn't have a removable battery either & gets excellent battery life. I can use it all day and still only have to charge it once every 2 days.
Luckily most manufacturers make portable chargers or charging cases for phones now a days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom