Magic Kingdom to lose ROA, Riverboat, and TSI for Cars Land

wdrive

It’s heartbreaking and makes me realise how lucky we were that it was saved at Disneyland.

May just be a knee jerk reaction from me but I think this might be me done with Disney theme parks. They’re not what they were when I became a fan of them. Theme and atmosphere be damned, let’s just get the hottest IP in. This is clearly the new direction and is not what I enjoy when I visit the parks.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I just wrote this in the Misc thread:

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the company is waiting for Kim Irvine and others to die so they can erase Disneyland history without objection. Turn ROA into Cars, Tomorrowland into Monstropolis. Scrub Walt’s line about “hard facts” from copies of the opening day speech. This is why the Tomorrowland upgrade has been recurrently postponed.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

May just be a knee jerk reaction from me but I think this might be me done with Disney theme parks. They’re not what they were when I became a fan of them. Theme and atmosphere be damned, let’s just get the hottest IP in. This is clearly the new direction and is not what I enjoy when I visit the parks.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction. This is a long time coming. Disney has been practically begging us to stop being fans and stop spending money at their parks. I certainly have no reason to visit MK anymore.

Consumer

And this response to that Tweet is just how I feel -

Replacing country songs with Disney songs at CBJ. Replacing Br'er Rabbit with Tiana. Replacing Rivers of America with Cars. Replacing the shooting gallery with a DVC lounge. Frontierland does not resemble Frontierland anymore at WDW. Anyone who says otherwise is not arguing in good faith.

mickEblu

Just wanted to raise awareness on this side of the forums that this is happening. I'm gobsmacked by their decision-making and thankful that we did not suffer the same fate.

How are not more WDW people mad about this? Many seem ok with it. Is there a chance they just leave the River in tact from Thunder to Mansion, chop the island in half and dock the boat? That seems like a best case scenario now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Replacing country songs with Disney songs at CBJ. Replacing Br'er Rabbit with Tiana. Replacing Rivers of America with Cars. Frontierland does not resemble Frontierland anymore at WDW. Anyone who says otherwise is not arguing in good faith.
I'm sorry but just because I don't agree with your assessment doesn't mean I'm not arguing in good faith. You can have that opinion all you want, doesn't mean I have to agree with you.

captveg

While there may be some at the company that are self-hating Americans I don't see that as the driving force. The driving force is, we all really know, money. And in 2024 the Cars IP is far more recognizable and profitable than a river and explorable island based on 19th century literature. It's why people keep expecting them to get rid of Autopia & Subs in a big DL Tomorrowland overhaul: too large of a land footprint to go unused for more modern - and profitable - IP rides.

wdrive

While there may be some at the company that are self-hating Americans I don't see that as the driving force. The driving force is, we all really know, money. And in 2024 the Cars IP is far more recognizable and profitable than a river and explorable island based on 19th century literature. It's why people keep expecting them to get rid of Autopilot & Subs in a big DL Tomorrowland overhaul: too large of a land footprint to go unused for more modern - and profitable - IP rides.

It can be a combination of both.

Consumer

I'm sorry but just because I don't agree with your assessment doesn't mean I'm not arguing in good faith. You can have that opinion all you want, doesn't mean I have to agree with you.
It's undeniable that Disney is moving away from the Old West theme of Frontierland at Magic Kingdom. Big Thunder Mountain is the only remnant of that theme. All other attractions based on 19th century America have been removed or replaced. Like I said, to say otherwise is not arguing in good faith.

mickEblu

While there may be some at the company that are self-hating Americans I don't see that as the driving force. The driving force is, we all really know, money. And in 2024 the Cars IP is far more recognizable and profitable than a river and explorable island based on 19th century literature. It's why people keep expecting them to get rid of Autopia & Subs in a big DL Tomorrowland overhaul: too large of a land footprint to go unused for more modern - and profitable - IP rides.

The place making and ambiance the ROA provides is immeasurable and invaluable. If they ever did this at Disneyland it would be the end of Disneyland for me.

Consumer

The place making and ambiance the ROA provides in immeasurable and invaluable. If they ever did this at Disneyland it would be the end of Disneyland for me.
I made this comment a little over a month ago, and I meant it. Rivers of America, specifically the SS Columbia, is what truly defines Disneyland's mission statement. If it ever goes, they as may as well just close the park.
The Sailing Ship Columbia makes Disneyland the greatest theme park in the world.

View attachment 794924

Yet somehow I've never been on it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom