News Magic Kingdom July 2020 reopening reports

sbunit

Waiting for a vaccine is setting yourself up for disappointment. They have never found a vaccine for covid because it’s a viral mutation that’s always changing and evolving. They are starting to admit it now for Covid19.

I think that is only partially true for a few reasons:

1) Yes it mutates, and I believe it has already gone through at least one mutation over the past 6 months, but influenza also mutates readily and we have annual vaccinations for that. It will most probably be the same for Covid19 with annual vaccinations that guess what mutation is likely coming.
2) Every news outlet, including Fauci himself, states that come hell or high water a vaccine is coming. It may not be potent but it is coming and possibly as soon as the end of 2020.
3) To piggy back point #2, I think at this point in the game, it is absolutely mandatory to have a vaccine or therapeutics in play simply for the psyche of the american public. There is a segment of the population that is absolutely paralyzed mentally by this epidemic and they won't go about their lives normally again until a vaccine is produced. I believe the Government recognizes this and wants a vaccine, regardless of how successful it may be, in order to allow life to creep back to normal.

I can't see the human species as whole moving forward from this without a vaccine and it's going to happen.

TrainsOfDisney

Does anyone know if they still have an entry for guests with no bags? Or does everyone go through the same screening now?

I’m not answering your question since I don’t know... but if everyone can just walk through the Hope would be that all lines move equally fast and the “no bag” line will be a thing of the past.

It was getting pretty silly with no bag, bag, stroller/ wheelchairs etc. I think every lane should be able to accomadate all guests. If the lines are too long, it’s not the guests fault, it’s Disney’s fault for not opening enough lines. (But staffing is $$$....)

I’m really hoping these new scanners / security procedures will improve the guest arrival experience.

tirian

It feels really good being back in the park today and I feel that the cast members are doing a great job! To me, everybody seems to be in good spirits and are wearing their masks. I will admit that I am really enjoying not having to worry about fastpasses. It really reminds me of the days before fastpass.
When I worked for the Mouse, I didn’t mind all the advanced planning. I was accustomed to it. Within a year after leaving for a much larger city and a better job, I came to hate the work involved in simply going on vacation at WDW. Once you start traveling other places more frequently, WDW’s dining and FP+ systems are huge hassles before and during the trip. I still love the resort, though. I suffer because it’s my favorite place to be. ;)

But I hope the new Covid-19 operations encourage WDW to return to a more leisurely pace. A same-day digital FP system has already been proven at Tokyo, and my friends tell me it’s great.

For now, enjoy actually vacationing at the Vacation Kingdom. :)

MaximumEd

You’re boiling down the legitimate complaints about FastPass into a stupid caricature. A couple points...
1) Lines are important for capacity. If things are crowded it seems intuitive to open new rides to alleviate crowding. But there’s a catch. Especially today, rides are relatively short with most under 5 minutes. That means a typical ride will only be able to hold a handful of guests at any given moment. So Disney ends up spending 100s of millions without meaningfully improving capacity. The REAL capacity improvements come from queue space. Queues can hold several thousand people in immersive places that are cheaper than an actual ride. An extra minute of rollercoaster is extremely expensive, whereas an extra 10 feet of queue is relatively affordable.
2) FastPass empties out queues. This forces guests back out into walkways. FastPass doesn’t let you “skip the line” instead it just changes the place where you wait. This sucks for guests and for Disney. Guests now get to walk through jam packed walkways and Disney has crowding concerns. Instead of improving capacity, it simply ends up dumping more people onto walkways making the parks more unbearable.
3) It means people don’t get to ride the attractions they want. Think of theme parks like a market. Your time at a theme park is your money. You can buy different experience at a theme park with your time. If a ride is worth two hours of your time, then you’ll be willing to wait that long. If a ride is worth less, then you won’t wait that long. The most popular rides will inevitably have higher waits. This is exactly how it should be, but FastPass distorts this. Suppose there are two guests called Jim and Jill. Jim loves Space Mountain and is willing to wait two hours for the ride. Jill only sort of likes Space Mountain and would wait no more than 30 minutes. In a typical theme park, Jim would ride Space Mountain while Jill wouldn’t. The person who wants the attraction more would get the attraction. This optimizes happiness. FP+ distorts this optimized status by throwing in availability of FPs. Suppose Jill was staying on property and was able to get some Space Mountain FPs whereas Jim was staying off property and was unable to get FPs. Suddenly Jill is able to ride Space Mountain even though she doesn’t really like it. Jim on the other hand may be unable to ride the attraction because people like Jill are draining capacity. In economics this is called a market failure. Jim is unable to get the good he wants while Jill gets a good that she didn’t really want. Happiness is not optimized in this case.
4) FastPass inflates queues for other attractions. Flight of Passage FPs are good examples of this phenomena. Suppose you get a Flight or Passage FP. Usually you would wait 2+ hours in line. But instead of waiting in the queue, you suddenly are dumped into walkways. What do you do? Shopping, dinning, and soaking in the atmosphere will only get you so far. When you’re in a theme park it’s all about rides. So all the people that should have been queueing end up searching for new rides to ride. This ends up inflating standby lines. It makes standby almost unbearable. This is less impactful on E Tickets. Flight of Passage will have long lines either way. But this ends up crushing rides like Triceratops Spin. Long lines = higher expectations and there is a good chance Primeval Whirl disappoints.
5) FastPass is terrible for guest psychology. Suppose you had the choice to wait in two lines. One is continuously moving and the other is stop and go. Which one will feel longer? Stop and go is simply soul crushing. FastPass makes stop and go standard throughout every attraction. Instead of the feeling of constant progress towards your destination while moving past interesting showrooms in queues, you stand in the same room for ten minutes, often within view of the FP line as they pass you by. It is soul crushing. It may take the same amount of time, but I’d rather move constantly. That’s how the queues are designed. It’s so much better!
6) FastPass is inefficient. Disney adds tons of complexity in queues with the FP lines. From confused guests getting into the wrong line to asking 4 year olds to tap “Mickey to Mickey” it can be deeply inefficient. Disney also has to employ gatekeepers who have to enforce draconian rules. Intuitive rides like omnimovers are made complex by having two lines and merge points. It’s really absurd. Disney ends up spending more and guests end up wasting time.
7) FPs create unnatural guest flow. How many of us have been enjoying a day in a certain land only to realize we need to race across the park. This takes us out of the story.
8) Attractions used to be so easily discoverable. You’d just walk on. Now it’s a complex process phone apps, hotel rooms, and months of planning. What a pain.

In summation, imagine if I had a way to save Disney money, improve satisfaction, reduce wait times, and increase capacity. Would Disney want to hear it? You’d think so, but Disney will stubbornly stick with a system that is daft. This is the definition of good intentions leading to bad consequences.

You make some interesting points, but #6 and 8 make no sense or are vastly overstated.

DisneyOutsider

They are only not coming back BECAUSE of this.
It's likely not that simple. Labor negotiations never are. TDO won't comment on active labor negotiations because it's a terrible idea... so the union knows they can say things like this to the media to garner public outrage. It's a negotiation tactic.

deeevo

I think that is only partially true for a few reasons:

1) Yes it mutates, and I believe it has already gone through at least one mutation over the past 6 months, but influenza also mutates readily and we have annual vaccinations for that. It will most probably be the same for Covid19 with annual vaccinations that guess what mutation is likely coming.
2) Every news outlet, including Fauci himself, states that come hell or high water a vaccine is coming. It may not be potent but it is coming and possibly as soon as the end of 2020.
3) To piggy back point #2, I think at this point in the game, it is absolutely mandatory to have a vaccine or therapeutics in play simply for the psyche of the american public. There is a segment of the population that is absolutely paralyzed mentally by this epidemic and they won't go about their lives normally again until a vaccine is produced. I believe the Government recognizes this and wants a vaccine, regardless of how successful it may be, in order to allow life to creep back to normal.

I can't see the human species as whole moving forward from this without a vaccine and it's going to happen.

Agreed and even with the yearly flu vaccine you can still get the flu and die from it so a vaccine for Covid19 will be the same. It still kills me that the same people who are absolutely paralyzed mentally have no problem driving down the interstate at 90 mph texting while driving. Wonder what the odds of dying in a car crash while doing that is?

jinx8402

Someone on the disboards said they asked guest relations at MK about gaiters today. She was told they decided to not allow them after doing internal research that they are not effective enough at reducing spread.

Perhaps the CM made that up, but it does make sense, because the material is super thin and I can see them not wanting that to be the weak link in their safety measures.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Someone on the disboards said they asked guest relations at MK about gaiters today. She was told they decided to not allow them after doing internal research that they are not effective enough at reducing spread.

Perhaps the CM made that up, but it does make sense, because the material is super thin and I can see them not wanting that to be the weak link in their safety measures.

I can see that happening.

Gaitors weren't made to be droplet-ensaring, especially the very light ones. And I can see guests trying to pass off scarves or other super-lightweight 'wraps' as masks.

Masks, however, when made specifically to be a mask, is usually constructed to do the job it's meant to.

Of course, people can always cheat the system by making a mask with very lightweight material. But if they do that and they have the virus... well, it's on their conscience. And if enough people do that, well then Disney will have to become involved in making sure people are only wearing 'approved' masks.

DisneyOutsider

I can see that happening.

Gaitors weren't made to be droplet-ensaring, especially the very light ones. And I can see guests trying to pass off scarves or other super-lightweight 'wraps' as masks.

Masks, however, when made specifically to be a mask, is usually constructed to do the job it's meant to.

Of course, people can always cheat the system by making a mask with very lightweight material. But if they do that and they have the virus... well, it's on their conscience. And if enough people do that, well then Disney will have to become involved in making sure people are only wearing 'approved' masks.

MagicMasks™ incoming...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom