Magic Kingdom Issues on President's Day

kramicart

Original Poster
Took the kids down to MK for the day since they were out of school.

Man, it was packed!

It seemed like alot of the posted wait times were WAY off. HM was switch-backed in the old FP area, but the sign said 20 min. POTC was switch-backed all the way out (even behind the hidden courtyard), but only posted 40!

The worst for us was going into JC (posted 20 min.) and winding around for 40 min. Then, they stopped the ride for "technical difficulties". It was down for probably less than 5 min. Of course, JC going down was after we left Tomorrowland when the Wedway went down. They even had to walk people off (wish I was up there for that!).

The best part was over-hearing a manager-type CM say to his counterpart, "I love these slow times, we can really get a lot done." as they were making notes in front of the PP rehab.

So, is there a thread listing specific days and events that tell locals when to avoid the parks?!?!?!

DiPSU224

I'm no expert on days to visit the parks, but I'm assuming that most people, like yourself, were taking advantage of a holiday. The kids were off, so why not head to the parks?
I'm not sure about a guide for which days to avoid which parks, the only thing I know about is the guide on disneyworld.com to let people know which seasons and weeks are the busiest.
I hope you had a great time anyway, despite the crowds! :wave:

miles1

Try the crowd level calendar on www.touringplans.com

http://www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php?PageID=14

It only goes one month out, but it also lists special events, etc and expected crowd levels. I use it every time I head over, and it's surprisingly accurate.

One thing, they used to have it go a year out. But now you have to buy their book in order to get the whole year!! :fork:

Well, heaven forbid they should try to make some money on all that work! Really, Len & Co. put a lot of work into that calandar, we should probably allow them to eat. :lol:

hokielutz

Try the crowd level calendar on www.touringplans.com

http://www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php?PageID=14

It only goes one month out, but it also lists special events, etc and expected crowd levels. I use it every time I head over, and it's surprisingly accurate.

One thing, they used to have it go a year out. But now you have to buy their book in order to get the whole year!! :fork:

You don't have to spend $15 to get their book. If you want just pay the subscription fee of $8 and you get a whole year of checking their crowd calendars.

No trees wasted, right?

BG Rugger

Anytime on or around a holiday is always very busy. Rule of thumb - if you have free time to go to the park, a bunch of other people generally do to. For example: holidays, school breaks, summer, weekends, big events in the area, etc.

kramicart

Original Poster

TP2000

So, is there a thread listing specific days and events that tell locals when to avoid the parks?!?!?!

Probably your first clue here should be avoiding major National holidays when all American school children, and most of their parents, have the day off. An example of that would be.....perhaps...... Presidents Day. We could probably start there. :lol:

kramicart

Original Poster
Probably your first clue here should be avoiding major National holidays when all American school children, and most of their parents, have the day off. An example of that would be.....perhaps...... Presidents Day. We could probably start there. :lol:

No, my first clue was not typing a post that makes me seem like a jerk. You got that covered for me.

In fact, I like to see the crowds. It gives me a sense of nostalgia when POTC is out the door. It means that WDW is not on its way to being Universal.

No one has spoken to my issue of why the wait times were so far off. I thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion.

So, excuse me for only being able to take my kids to WDW when they're off school. I guess next time, I'll call them in sick and rob them of their education so they can go ride a rollercoaster.

JaclynR

So, excuse me for only being able to take my kids to WDW when they're off school. I guess next time, I'll call them in sick and rob them of their education so they can go ride a rollercoaster.

It really depends on their ages. I don't think anyone's education is being robbed, especially elementary age children. If anything, it's an education about making the most of your trip by going at off peak times.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I guess next time, I'll call them in sick and rob them of their education so they can go ride a rollercoaster.

These days, what kids learn in school and education could be considered two completely different things. The school my daughter goes to is more than happy to accommodate us taking her out to do things that foster her education and enjoyment of life. Disney is one of those things.

Erika

Let's not turn this into a parenting discussion.

I think it's a good bet that any time your kids are off for a holiday, there will be large crowds :)

The Mom

Premium Member
Back to the original question.

There is often a lag time between the times posted vs the actual wait time. I've noticed that when the line starts to build up, or starts to thin, a CM will hand someone near the end of the line a special pass which you hand to the CM just prior to boarding. I believe that is what they use to determine the wait time.

I have wirnessed one person put it into his backpack as a "souvenir" :rolleyes: I just told the CM before I boarded, and he was able to estimate (as he knew when the other CM had headed out)

Fortunately, my wait times have often been shorter than what was posted. :sohappy:

Rozzie

Took the kids down to MK for the day since they were out of school.

Man, it was packed!

It seemed like alot of the posted wait times were WAY off. HM was switch-backed in the old FP area, but the sign said 20 min. POTC was switch-backed all the way out (even behind the hidden courtyard), but only posted 40!

The worst for us was going into JC (posted 20 min.) and winding around for 40 min. Then, they stopped the ride for "technical difficulties". It was down for probably less than 5 min. Of course, JC going down was after we left Tomorrowland when the Wedway went down. They even had to walk people off (wish I was up there for that!).

The best part was over-hearing a manager-type CM say to his counterpart, "I love these slow times, we can really get a lot done." as they were making notes in front of the PP rehab.

The best way to figure out when to come is by looking at the park hours. If the park closes early (like around 8 pm) it's not expected to be as busy. But when the park is open till 11-12 at night, the park is expecting a lot of people.

DisneyNut7578

You don't have to spend $15 to get their book. If you want just pay the subscription fee of $8 and you get a whole year of checking their crowd calendars.

No trees wasted, right?

Hey, who cares anyway?? I buy the book the day it comes out anyway. And I'm sure veryone on these boards does too! It's our Disney Bible.

Erika

Back to the original question.

There is often a lag time between the times posted vs the actual wait time. I've noticed that when the line starts to build up, or starts to thin, a CM will hand someone near the end of the line a special pass which you hand to the CM just prior to boarding. I believe that is what they use to determine the wait time.

I have wirnessed one person put it into his backpack as a "souvenir" :rolleyes: I just told the CM before I boarded, and he was able to estimate (as he knew when the other CM had headed out)

Fortunately, my wait times have often been shorter than what was posted. :sohappy:

:eek: Real nice :lol:

I can think of a lot better things to bring home from the World than that :lol:

Laura

In fact, I like to see the crowds. It gives me a sense of nostalgia when POTC is out the door. It means that WDW is not on its way to being Universal.

:veryconfu :veryconfu

Your original post was nothing but a big complaint about the problems you were having due to the crowds and asking how to avoid the crowds. Then you come back and say you like the crowds.

So if you WANT to go when it's crowded since you like crowds (based on your quote above), then go anytime there's no school, especially Christmas week. If you don't want to because you don't like crowds (based on your original post), then go when school is in session.

kramicart

Original Poster
I like seeing the crowds, it takes me back to the WDW of my childhood.

That doesn't mean I like standing in a 45 min line.

Mom, you're right. Usually, the wait time is anywhere from 5 to 10 shorter than the posted time. That was why I was surprised to see the wait times so far off.

My OP wasn't intended as a complaint, but I could say "the sky sure is blue today" and someone would disagree with that.

So for the sake of my kids, we would prefer to go when they can ride the most rides with the least wait. As a Disney fan and businessman, I understand the crowds are vital.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom