Magic Kingdom evening Extra Magic Hours attraction line-up to change next week

SeanC

Could all be part of a plan to phase out EMH altogether over time? Shorter the hours, swap then reduce attractions (I remember Jungle Cruise being open several years ago, though maybe that was a swap for something closed at the time, don't know). Maybe the long term plan is to have FastPast+ replace EMH as the onsite perk but they don't want to do it abruptly.

tomman710

Disney's new Mission Statement, ladies and gentlemen.

I think you have summed up everything that is wrong at Walt Disney World very nicely.

Remember, it doesn't have to make sense from the point of view of the people paying thousands of dollars for the product. As long as it makes sense to the people peddling that product, everything is fair game. Now shut up and write those checks!

Yea and I've said it before and I'll say it again ... personally I can complain all I want but what do I expect them to do when I keep going back and shelling out money by the truck load.

Just booked a 9 day trip in November!

PPS ... Post 400 ... only took me nearly 10 years to get it.

t3techcom18

I'd like to add that to say people don't have rights, privileges, license, or are being selfish at WDW ... well that's incorrect. We pay thousands of dollars if not more over a life time ... I think that grants us some expectations.

This thread is the perfect example, I paid thousands extra to stay on WDW property what do I get for that privilege? Now, don't take me for some guest that never expects refurbs, closures, or everything to be perfect but in the grand scheme of things because we, the guests, especially us here, pay alot ... there are some rights and expectations we should be granted ... yes, within reason.

EMH is something within reason ... a new E-Ticket every year, maybe not so much.

To me, at least, a new E-Ticket or any type of attractions holds more gravitas (and shows more of your money at work) than EMH does. Remember - attractions were there long before EMH was. EMH has been a perk since, what, late 90's, early 00's?

Free dining offers? Go right ahead. Steeper hotel prices? Do what you must. All the extreme price raising but no upkeep or even improving on general quality? NO. That's something we can all agree on.

Think about it - what brings people back all the time? The quality, the experience, the theming, nostalgia, etc. What creates those? New attractions, new dining, new parades, fireworks, entertainment, etc.

EMH?...Not so much.

To say that you pay a large amount of money and to have certain expectations/perks in return...yikes. I have expectations that rely on the basis the same quality and experience, maybe an even better one, but that goes through in terms of quality of everything. To demand perks though...no. That's basically the equivalent of a guest coming up to us to Ops CM when a ride is down and blaming us when they've come all the way from such and such place and paid all this money and ruined their vacation. Got to Soarin just as the FP timer ran out and people go bonkers with the same reaction? Too bad, so sad. Better luck next time.

When I stay at hotels, I don't care for the amenities that it has or the extra perks involved - if it has some, good, if it doesn't, eh, who cares. When I went to Disneyland last year, I didn't care about the amenities the hotel would have. Even if I did stay at any of the DLR hotels, would I care about doing the Magic Morning stuff? Nope. If I do it, cool, if I don't, doesn't bother me. Why? I'd spend the whole day in the parks anyways, from open to close. I just handle my time management more closely, depending on how busy the parks are.

My reaction to cutting EMH from a guest perspective is exactly like my reaction of when I saw the Matterhorn was down when I went to DL: Disappointed, but I move on. Plenty of other things to do than fret about one ride. With EMH: Oh, they cut it to two hours. Oh well. At least I still have 2 hours for me and my fellow resort guests. I could understand massive anger like this if they got rid of the whole thing. But ONE HOUR? One hour isn't the end of the world.

bgraham34

To me, at least, a new E-Ticket or any type of attractions holds more gravitas (and shows more of your money at work) than EMH does. Remember - attractions were there long before EMH was. EMH has been a perk since, what, late 90's, early 00's?

Free dining offers? Go right ahead. Steeper hotel prices? Do what you must. All the extreme price raising but no upkeep or even improving on general quality? NO. That's something we can all agree on.

Think about it - what brings people back all the time? The quality, the experience, the theming, nostalgia, etc. What creates those? New attractions, new dining, new parades, fireworks, entertainment, etc.

EMH?...Not so much.

To say that you pay a large amount of money and to have certain expectations/perks in return...yikes. I have expectations that rely on the basis the same quality and experience, maybe an even better one, but that goes through in terms of quality of everything. To demand perks though...no. That's basically the equivalent of a guest coming up to us to Ops CM when a ride is down and blaming us when they've come all the way from such and such place and paid all this money and ruined their vacation. Got to Soarin just as the FP timer ran out and people go bonkers with the same reaction? Too bad, so sad. Better luck next time.

When I stay at hotels, I don't care for the amenities that it has or the extra perks involved - if it has some, good, if it doesn't, eh, who cares. When I went to Disneyland last year, I didn't care about the amenities the hotel would have. Even if I did stay at any of the DLR hotels, would I care about doing the Magic Morning stuff? Nope. If I do it, cool, if I don't, doesn't bother me. Why? I'd spend the whole day in the parks anyways, from open to close. I just handle my time management more closely, depending on how busy the parks are.

My reaction to cutting EMH from a guest perspective is exactly like my reaction of when I saw the Matterhorn was down when I went to DL: Disappointed, but I move on. Plenty of other things to do than fret about one ride. With EMH: Oh, they cut it to two hours. Oh well. At least I still have 2 hours for me and my fellow resort guests. I could understand massive anger like this if they got rid of the whole thing. But ONE HOUR? One hour isn't the end of the world.

See and your the reason why we are continuing to lose things. It does not bother you and because you and many other like you don't mind Disney cutting back it hurts the rest of us. I want the extra perks more hours to spend time in the park. That is what I am paying for. Its my vacation and I want some value for what I am spending.

Your like sure Disney raise your prices I don't mind its not that big a deal to me. Oh you want to shorten EMH sure why not its not like I take advantage of that. But you forget there are others who do and want the value. What about the family who has saved for years to go to the parks. I bet they want value in their vacation as well. THey deserve it.

I also guess the rising price of gasoline is not an issue to you either.

t3techcom18

I think you have summed up everything that is wrong at Walt Disney World very nicely.

Remember, it doesn't have to make sense from the point of view of the people paying thousands of dollars for the product. As long as it makes sense to the people peddling that product, everything is fair game. Now shut up and write those checks!

I wholeheartedly agree; that is pretty much their mentality these days with every single thing and it's quite disturbing. It's on a very small mend (look at the food quality at AoA, the use of ACTUAL silverware and plates, something once only reserved for DL; renewed maintenance; refurbs/updating throughout the resorts and parks) but again, what disturbs me about all of this is from on high and NOT by TDO's hand. At least someone has woken up and taking action.

EMH as the final straw for some of you though, as saying its a perk gone the way of the dodo when it's only been reduced one hour and swap out rides? Just way too dramatic for my taste...

RSoxNo1

Yikes....talk about people who are screaming ME ME ME and don't look at the bigger picture...

I don't know what's going on with Splash but I know a few people there so I should be getting an answer soon.

Think about it though - if they decided to take it down this quickly, there has to be a VERY good reason for it. Cost cutbacks can't or wouldn't come that fast; they would happen in groups and would start in, say January with the EMH change.

The monorail cutback from EMH WAS for maintenance. I even know the pilot who suggested the idea. Have you heard of more issues with the monorails? Have you seen them breakdown as often as before? No? What's been the thing that's been changed since then? Oh yeahhh the hours!

I've given much hate towards TDO in regards to upkeep and maintenance quality, something that is truly lacking in WDW, particularly at the MK. So now that things are being cutback, now that things are starting to change on property, little by little...yalls complain again.

A poster said that a few more hours of third shift maintenance wont help - try telling that to them. Instead of having to pick and choose items, they could spend more time fixing instead of disabling an effect for the day cause they couldn't get it done in time.

You guys want more upkeep? You guys want more quality? Then deal with it. If TDO gave attractions the proper TLC from day one, this wouldn't be happening. Are they still getting things wrong by not bringing down rides for complete rehabs? Yes; but are they FINALLY putting thought into it? Yes. I definitely believe both Tom Staggs and the bad PR from Splashs condition several months ago finally motivated people to do something - even if it might've come higher than TDO.
I hope you're right but these are bandaid solutions for larger scale problems resulting from years of negligence.

tomman710

EMH?...Not so much.

The "anger," and granted I'm not losing sleep over it, is not over losing an hour of EMH, it is that, combined with losing a E-ticket for those nights ... then combine that with other well documented cost cutting strategies employed over the past 5-10 years ... one piece of evidence can be brushed aside, two pieces of evidence can be the start of a trend ... 3 ... 4... 5 pieces of evidence ... now we have something more concrete.

I do not think anyone here is furious ... yet ... it's just a curiosity as to why this was employed and the simple question we are asking is, "where is this all going?" Is it for the betterment of the attraction or is it to save a few bucks?

Again I have to disagree with your comment of "yikes" about expectations when you spend large amounts of money. No matter what amount of money you spend, with the exchange of money comes expectations ... period. As for "perks" ok ... let's use Disney's own vernacular from their official website under the section "Why Stay at a Disney Resort Hotel?" ... they call them "benefits" ... so I'll amend my statement, when I pay double and triple the normal price of hotels in the area to stay in a Disney property I expect certain "benefits" to justify the extra cost.

The FIRST thing listed on Disney's official site is TIME ... the "benefit" of time due to EXTENDED THEME PARK HOURS ... Disney states this, thus we can expect it.

Back to the original question if, and yes it's a big IF right now, EMH goes away what is the "benefit" to stay on property?

ddbowdoin

agh, really TDO / Meg?

I understand the attraction could use some love to repair all of the features currently down or sporadically working. I am hoping this will be a temporary issue, something that will be used during slower months of the year.

But honestly, there are times where it's so busy in that corner of the park that being able to scoot on SM at 1:30AM is a treat, especially with the crowds where the attraction becomes a once a day (w/ FP) attraction. This makes me so angry!

ChrisM

Mindblowing. Yet true.

RSoxNo1

Not to mention - many Ops CMs work 40-75, even 100 hours a week during extreme peak season. All of us CMs celebrated the news. It gives us a chance to rest more as well have more time with OUR families. Think about others before thinking of yourselves.

Again, this is an issue with your employeer, not the customer. It's the customer's responsibility to treat these employees with the respect that they deserve, but the customer isn't the one that's setting the schedule. The customer isn't the one that realized they could pay two part time employees instead of one full time employee with benefits.

The customer is the consumer of these offerings and the customer helps fund the parks. When the customer feels that they're not getting the value out of their ticket price they stop going and then more jobs will be lost. Telling us to "think about others before thinking about ourselves" is a ridiculous statement. I sympathize with the cast members that are working the ridiculous hours that you stated, but that's not on my conscience.

ddbowdoin

The "anger," and granted I'm not losing sleep over it, is not over losing an hour of EMH, it is that, combined with losing a E-ticket for those nights ... then combine that with other well documented cost cutting strategies employed over the past 5-10 years ... one piece of evidence can be brushed aside, two pieces of evidence can be the start of a trend ... 3 ... 4... 5 pieces of evidence ... now we have something more concrete.

I do not think anyone here is furious ... yet ... it's just a curiosity as to why this was employed and the simple question we are asking is, "where is this all going?" Is it for the betterment of the attraction or is it to save a few bucks?

Again I have to disagree with your comment of "yikes" about expectations when you spend large amounts of money. No matter what amount of money you spend, with the exchange of money comes expectations ... period. As for "perks" ok ... let's use Disney's own vernacular from their official website under the section "Why Stay at a Disney Resort Hotel?" ... they call them "benefits" ... so I'll amend my statement, when I pay double and triple the normal price of hotels in the area to stay in a Disney property I expect certain "benefits" to justify the extra cost.

The FIRST thing listed on Disney's official site is TIME ... the "benefit" of time due to EXTENDED THEME PARK HOURS ... Disney states this, thus we can expect it.

Back to the original question if, and yes it's a big IF right now, EMH goes away what is the "benefit" to stay on property?

if EMH goes away I'll be taking my dollars elsewhere. I pay to stay on property for three reasons (and sometimes only two)

1.) EMH - during summer and busier times of the year AM and PM EMH really help you slow down and enjoy yourselves. Essentially we use this time to take care of E ticket attractions so we aren't sloshed around with the hordes of general admin guests.
2.) DME - this saves me money, 14 a day to park (although I have my first AP this year) and literally the joy of not having to drive. I commute about 2.5hrs daily between driving and taking trains to work a day so I love not having to stress over anything behind a wheel. Also, renting a car can add up.
3.) Deluxe Resorts - I only justify the cost to benefit from location. We prefer BC... we can walk to two gates, have a pretty exclusive bus (at least in my experience). We also really enjoy having the option of SaB or using the DVC pool (we arent members but no one asks)

I can get a cheaper and nicer room down in the DTD area than the cost of the BC. EMH is a huge deal breaker.

t3techcom18

See and your the reason why we are continuing to lose things. It does not bother you and because you and many other like you don't mind Disney cutting back it hurts the rest of us. I want the extra perks more hours to spend time in the park. That is what I am paying for. Its my vacation and I want some value for what I am spending.

Your like sure Disney raise your prices I don't mind its not that big a deal to me. Oh you want to shorten EMH sure why not its not like I take advantage of that. But you forget there are others who do and want the value. What about the family who has saved for years to go to the parks. I bet they want value in their vacation as well. THey deserve it.

I also guess the rising price of gasoline is not an issue to you either.

No, you don't understand my reasoning. I DO get bothered by all of this - by the rising prices, by the diminishing experience, etc. The value I see in vacation is in the experience that you have, not the perks. Call me an idealist, but that's how it is. If I want to see how my investment is working, then I expect to see rides looking brand new, not filled with dust or chipped paint or malfunctioning AA's like right now. Ever since I went to DL last year, I can't look at WDW the same way ever again, especially for the horrid status quo WDW is in right now. I've seen what Parks and Resorts can do if they put their minds to it, as well the memories I've had of WDW while growing up. I know that right NOW, WDW is NOT doing that and I hate it for that reason. I love the parks, I love much of what TWDC does - I just hate the ruling business mind behind it all. Do I understand the rising prices? Yes; Do I agree with it? No.

Everything that has gone down in quality has diminished EVERYONE'S experience greatly.

EMH is only for resort guests.

EMH is a PERK, just as you and many have said.

This is starting to get into a philosophical argument about what 'value' means, but if I were that family saving thousands for years to go to the park, I would be thankful to just be there with my family, spend time with them, and do everything we can in the allotted time. In terms of investment, I just want a top notch experience on every level - rides, food, service, etc, to have it at the same level as when I went before or even greater; anything less is bad; to expect anything more is just being self-serving.

ddbowdoin

Again, this is an issue with your employeer, not the customer. It's the customer's responsibility to treat these employees with the respect that they deserve, but the customer isn't the one that's setting the schedule. The customer isn't the one that realized they could pay two part time employees instead of one full time employee with benefits.

The customer is the consumer of these offerings and the customer helps fund the parks. When the customer feels that they're not getting the value out of their ticket price they stop going and then more jobs will be lost. Telling us to "think about others before thinking about ourselves" is a ridiculous statement. I sympathize with the cast members that are working the ridiculous hours that you stated, but that's not on my conscience.

also, WDW would be stupid to have CM's logging those hours. They'd rather higher more employees working less hours, than fewer working longer and accruing OT wages. We all know how cheap they are with CM's. Also, no one forces you to work at WDW, if you don't like the hours... go work somewhere else.

RSoxNo1

EMH was and still remains a privilege, not a right. They could get rid of EMH altogether but they just cut it down one hour. And? EMH still exists. Be thankful for what you have.

It's a privilidge that by all accounts is built into the cost of your hotel room. Do you expect them to cut the price of hotel rooms as they cut the associated offerings with it? I sure don't.

Witchy Chick

It's nice that you have the option to manage your time. I have two small children that I will be traveling with come January. Those two small children need naps midday -- which "costs" my husband and I approximately 3 hours of park time. I know this is a "sunk cost" going in to the vacation. I can offset this loss by staying in some parks later in the evening during EMH.

Oooops. MK closes in January at 8pm almost every night. DHS closes at 7pm. AK closes at 5pm. Epcot closes at 9pm). Oh -- and now EMH is cut by an hour. My husband and I have the "privilege" of a possible four evening EMH hours at DHS, one morning EMH hour at DHS, two evening EMH hours at MK, and one morning EMH at AK. NO EMH HOURS AT EPCOT AT ALL DURING OUR TRIP. And during some of these morning EMHs, some attractions are not operational at early opening and some lands are entirely roped off to guests. And now during some of the evening EMH hours -- we are "trading" an e-ticket attraction for the Tiki Room??? Awesome perk. /sarcasm

It's one hour + roping off lands during morning EMH + removing e-tickets from evening EMH. It adds up, and frankly after this Jan '13 trip -- it will be adding up to my money being spent elsewhere.

Witchy

bgraham34

No, you don't understand my reasoning. I DO get bothered by all of this - by the rising prices, by the diminishing experience, etc. The value I see in vacation is in the experience that you have, not the perks. Call me an idealist, but that's how it is. If I want to see how my investment is working, then I expect to see rides looking brand new, not filled with dust or chipped paint or malfunctioning AA's like right now. Ever since I went to DL last year, I can't look at WDW the same way ever again, especially for the horrid status quo WDW is in right now. I've seen what Parks and Resorts can do if they put their minds to it, as well the memories I've had of WDW while growing up. I know that right NOW, WDW is NOT doing that and I hate it for that reason. I love the parks, I love much of what TWDC does - I just hate the ruling business mind behind it all. Do I understand the rising prices? Yes; Do I agree with it? No.

Everything that has gone down in quality has diminished EVERYONE'S experience greatly.

EMH is only for resort guests.

EMH is a PERK, just as you and many have said.

This is starting to get into a philosophical argument about what 'value' means, but if I were that family saving thousands for years to go to the park, I would be thankful to just be there with my family, spend time with them, and do everything we can in the allotted time. In terms of investment, I just want a top notch experience on every level - rides, food, service, etc, to have it at the same level as when I went before or even greater; anything less is bad; to expect anything more is just being self-serving.

Ok I see what you are saying. My apologies. Personally I just wish TDO would be replaced and Meg Crofton as well. She is ruining our experiences.

njDizFan

Yikes....talk about people who are screaming ME ME ME and don't look at the bigger picture...

I don't know what's going on with Splash but I know a few people there so I should be getting an answer soon.

Think about it though - if they decided to take it down this quickly, there has to be a VERY good reason for it. Cost cutbacks can't or wouldn't come that fast; they would happen in groups and would start in, say January with the EMH change.

The monorail cutback from EMH WAS for maintenance. I even know the pilot who suggested the idea. Have you heard of more issues with the monorails? Have you seen them breakdown as often as before? No? What's been the thing that's been changed since then? Oh yeahhh the hours!

I've given much hate towards TDO in regards to upkeep and maintenance quality, something that is truly lacking in WDW, particularly at the MK. So now that things are being cutback, now that things are starting to change on property, little by little...yalls complain again.

A poster said that a few more hours of third shift maintenance wont help - try telling that to them. Instead of having to pick and choose items, they could spend more time fixing instead of disabling an effect for the day cause they couldn't get it done in time.

You guys want more upkeep? You guys want more quality? Then deal with it. If TDO gave attractions the proper TLC from day one, this wouldn't be happening. Are they still getting things wrong by not bringing down rides for complete rehabs? Yes; but are they FINALLY putting thought into it? Yes. I definitely believe both Tom Staggs and the bad PR from Splashs condition several months ago finally motivated people to do something - even if it might've come higher than TDO.
I would really like to hear @Alektronic take on this.

It's hard to believe this is nothing but a managment profit scheme.

t3techcom18

It's nice that you have the option to manage your time. I have two small children that I will be traveling with come January. Those two small children need naps midday -- which "costs" my husband and I approximately 3 hours of park time. I know this is a "sunk cost" going in to the vacation. I can offset this loss by staying in some parks later in the evening during EMH.

Oooops. MK closes in January at 8pm almost every night. DHS closes at 7pm. AK closes at 5pm. Epcot closes at 9pm). Oh -- and now EMH is cut by an hour. My husband and I have the "privilege" of a possible four evening EMH hours at DHS, one morning EMH hour at DHS, two evening EMH hours at MK, and one morning EMH at AK. NO EMH HOURS AT EPCOT AT ALL DURING OUR TRIP. And during some of these morning EMHs, some attractions are not operational at early opening and some lands are entirely roped off to guests. And now during some of the evening EMH hours -- we are "trading" an e-ticket attraction for the Tiki Room??? Awesome perk. /sarcasm

It's one hour + roping off lands during morning EMH + removing e-tickets from evening EMH. It adds up, and frankly after this Jan '13 trip -- it will be adding up to my money being spent elsewhere.

Witchy

Uhh....Having no EMH hours at Epcot during the entire month of January is wrong. I have no idea where you got your information from but the usual Epcot slots are there.

Tuesdays = Mornings; Fridays = evenings.

The only exception is that, for some odd reason, Monday the 11th has an EMH evening with the following morning, the 12th, having an EMH morning, so it'll be back to back.

So what if they're trading the Tiki Room for Splash? It's an alternative. At least you HAVE another attraction. Granted, not at the same level of being e-ticket, but you have another one. Something is better than nothing.

And about the naps...that does indeed put a giant dent into your schedule. At least you're going in the slowest time of the entire year, so most attractions will be walk on anyways.

captainkidd

So what if they're trading the Tiki Room for Splash? It's an alternative. At least you HAVE another attraction. Granted, not at the same level of being e-ticket, but you have another one. Something is better than nothing.

And about the naps...that does indeed put a giant dent into your schedule. At least you're going in the slowest time of the entire year, so most attractions will be walk on anyways.

OK, first of all, it really isn't better than nothing. It's just about as good as nothing. Tiki Room is a walk-on any time of the day. The purpose of EMH is to give Resort Guests more time in the parks, with shorter waits.

Secondly, I go in January every year. Maybe it's considered slow season, but as a CM, do you really believe all attractions are walk-ons? If you'd like, I'll be more than happy to post some pics of the waiting times encountered in slow season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom