Magic Kingdom Closes!

wdwjmp239

BwanaBob said:
ONLY TO SIT IN GRIDLOCK TILL 2AM! :snore:

Yeah.. I was there, too! Been there.. done that...my g/f and I *MAY* do it again for 2006.

Then again, with the construction going on I-4 now, we may have alternate plans for NYE 2006. We'll see.

DisneySoccerFan

NYE at MK

We were there too on the 31st. I have never seen such gridlock in foot traffic in my life. We got caught trying to get to our FastPass time at Thunder Mountain behind the end of the parade. It took us literally 30-40 minutes to walk from Haunted Mansion to Thunder Mountain. Most of the time we were stuck standing still on the "bridge like" footpath adjacent to the paddle boats.
The worst was trying to leave at about 12:20 AM after an INCREDIBLE "Fantasy in the Sky" performance. The masses waiting for ferrys and monorails was backed up all the way to the gate. All of this was to be expected. We initially chose to attempt to get on the ferry. As we worked our way toward the usual begining of the queue to the ferry (and where the sign indicated to go) we discovered that they had roped off the area and set up a temporary extened queue which started back where we came from. This was further complicated by the confusion that we had due to the lack of buses to the TTC. We had ridden a bus over in the morning (yes, they added bus service to the monorail and ferry on NYE, and we were told by the CMs on the bus that they would be running buses all day except from 12-4 PM).
We were really dreading fighting back through the crowd that was only going to make the same discovery we did when the lightbulb went off in my head.
We took a gamble and decided to walk about 10 minutes to the Contemporary where we were able to make a uncrowded bathroom stop, up to the monorail platform, and walk right up and board a monorail that had just dropped off some resort guests with no wait. My wife finally expressed her gratitude for all of my (until that moment seemingly "useless" to her) WDW knowledge!
We made it to the TTC by 12:45. It still took us until 2AM to reach I-4, but I can't imagine how much longer if we had waited out the ferry/monorail lines at the MK.

speck76

DisneySoccerFan said:
We took a gamble and decided to walk about 10 minutes to the Contemporary where we were able to make a uncrowded bathroom stop, up to the monorail platform, and walk right up and board a monorail that had just dropped off some resort guests with no wait. My wife finally expressed her gratitude for all of my (until that moment seemingly "useless" to her) WDW knowledge!
We made it to the TTC by 12:45. It still took us until 2AM to reach I-4, but I can't imagine how much longer if we had waited out the ferry/monorail lines at the MK.

I do this quite often.....usually I will run up to the Cali Grille for a drink first, but it is often much easier to do this than wait in line at the park entrance on a busy day.

Kevin

BwanaBob said:
ONLY TO SIT IN GRIDLOCK TILL 2AM! :snore:

BwanaBob, that's terrible!! I can sympathize. I learned my lesson the hard way on this too. My first year at WDW during New Years Eve I got what I thought was a great parking spot, until I sat in the parking lot for a couple hours waiting for traffic to start moving to get back to my resort after the fireworks. I had thought driving would be faster but realized being on the far side of the parking lot in the front is bad.

I can also remember a year I stayed off-site for the Fourth of July many years ago and had a very long traffic jam down World Drive from the MK to the property line that lasted a couple hours. Won't make that mistake again either.

donsullivan

Premium Member
speck76 said:
I was at Epcot tonight....parked in Wonder 95....which is half way to Tampa.

The security guard said that Epcot can hold 144K, but they would never fill it that full, they expected about 90K. The signs said that the MK was closed.

I was in Row 101 on NYE. Since they hadn't yet moved to the center areas (don't remember the section names) of the lot (the one's we normally see used) I was seriously tempted to roll out of the lot and circle around the property for 15 minutes. Then I could head back to EPCOT and get much closer in. Of course when I left after the FW it was like walking to Tampa but based on the traffic getting out of there in the end I think I was glad to be in the BACK ROW. Getting out of the lot was a no brainer back there.

Unfortunately they wouldn't let us onto 536 like they they normally do; which is the direct route to 417 and home for me. They rerouted us out to World Drive and tried to push everyone down to 192. I ended up jumping on Osceola Parkway which is where they were forcing everyone leaving Studios.

wdwjmp239

Post New Years Eve Crowds

Just out of curiosity - how's the crowds now after the New Years celebrations? I can only imagine that the numbers have dwindled quite significantly.

OliveMcFly

Hah! I get it...sorry it's late. That's a good one. Although if I would sue I would recieve either 30% off a WDW hotel or a Disney DVD. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom