Magic Kingdom Area Billboards

Chef Kronk

Original Poster
So earlier this month a couple of the billboards near Magic Kingdom (it's tough to be a bug, Mission: Space) were apparently removed in order to accommodate road work on World Drive.

Does anybody happen to know if they will return once the work is completed? Thanks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So earlier this month a couple of the billboards near Magic Kingdom (it's tough to be a bug, Mission: Space) were apparently removed in order to accommodate road work on World Drive.

Does anybody happen to know if they will return once the work is completed? Thanks.

"The Contractor shall remove, demolish and dispose of the Bugs Life
billboard/sign and the Mission Space billboard/sign. The graphics and
attachments on both billboards/sign shall be required to be demolished
beyond recognition as being Disney-related, prior to being disposed of
offsite.
"

Goofyernmost

On our first road trip to WDW back in 1983, one of the most fun areas of the trip would have been the South of the Border signs. There were literally hundreds of them (both directions). It was also handy, pre-GPS days to know how far it was to the border of North and South Carolina. They were funny and very creative. Not so much anymore and there are probably less then half of the number that once existed. The one that made me smile the most was the one advertising the motel rooms. "Pedro says... all the rooms are heir-conditioned." I'm sure that visitation has dropped off over the years and one day that will be a place that Adam the Woo will wander through as an abandoned location. We are all to sophisticated to enjoy something simple and corny.

barkerbird

On our first road trip to WDW back in 1983, one of the most fun areas of the trip would have been the South of the Border signs. There were literally hundreds of them (both directions). It was also handy, pre-GPS days to know how far it was to the border of North and South Carolina. They were funny and very creative. Not so much anymore and there are probably less then half of the number that once existed. The one that made me smile the most was the one advertising the motel rooms. "Pedro says... all the rooms are heir-conditioned." I'm sure that visitation has dropped off over the years and one day that will be a place that Adam the Woo will wander through as an abandoned location. We are all to sophisticated to enjoy something simple and corny.

I was only introduced to South of the Border around eight years ago, when I met my wife. I had no idea what it was because I never had to drive through NC/SC to get to Florida. Her father had filmed each billboard as they drove down I95 South (the clip lasted several minutes! It was hilarious). It was their family tradition to stay there each time they would drive to Disney.

I thought it was so corny, but so much fun at the same time. My wife and I then decided to carry on that tradition with our family whenever we drive north. We now have special cups, magnets and stickers from SotB over the years. The last time we stayed there, the room had been renovated. From what I understand the business has changed hands a couple of times, with the second time being poor management.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Every time I drive to WDW, I keep thinking "I need to call Dan Newlin and see if he can get me $750,000!" :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom